• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travels with Mildred (In search of Canis lupus) (1 Viewer)

We talked to other people while all this was going on. You can't help it really, people stick heads out of car windows to ask what you've got, once they park they want directions, and so on. But you pick up snippets of information all the time from such encounters: the Grizzly female and her cub had been there on a couple of previous days, so we might have another go on another day (with better weather!); on and off there was a female Black Bear showing near the Tower Falls, and suchlike. A chatty birder will do better than a sourpuss loner in Yellowstone.

As we carried on away from the high meadow we crossed a pass and began to descend, with the road running through more open land but slopes below us so shallow - more like the South Downs than my idea of the Rockies - that we felt no heights fear. Just as we relaxed, we came down a shallow valley and at the end of it the road faced only sky....oh mah gawd.....! This was the canyon at Tower, and we stopped not in the crowded Tower Falls parking lot but a smaller turnout a little further along. Our motivation was a small-horned Bighorn Sheep right by the road and just the job for photographs. We also found that this was the turnout where the Black Bear was most often seen, but it wasn't about at this point. There was a paved path through to view the canyon, which was hugely vertiginous and rendered me incapable of walking to and leaning on the 8 inch thick pine barrier rails guarding sensible people (signs advised stupid ones not to climb on the railings.) It was a heck of a view and I eventually managed to take some pictures of it in the slowly brightening light (the rain had now stopped.) I also scanned the far rim of the canyon for passing Coyotes, Bobcats, Cougars etc.... nothing.

So it was back to the car and on down the hill, which very quickly left the edge of the canyon and gradually dropped down to a gently undulating valley floor and the Tower junction, where we turned right towards the Slough (pronounced "slew") Creek Wolf watchpoint, the Lamar Valley and eventually, our home for the next five nights, Cooke City. After our experience with the ghost-town of Jeffery City we were taking this claim to cityhood with a big pinch of salt!

John

Pix around Tower:

Tower views X 3 (note sign!)
Bighorn Sheep

John

Attachments

• 2014_08_07 (17)_Tower_View (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_07 (17)_Tower_View (533x800).jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 2014_08_07 (18)_Tower_View (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_07 (18)_Tower_View (533x800).jpg
    412 KB · Views: 52
  • 2014_08_07 (19)_Tower_View (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_07 (19)_Tower_View (533x800).jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2014_08_07 (20)_Bighorn (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_07 (20)_Bighorn (533x800).jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 46
The precise back-and-forthing that ensued in the next couple of hours escapes me at only three weeks difference, but if I remember rightly it went something like this.

We crossed the Yellowstone River and made our way through a small Buffalo Jam. We found the junction of the Slough Creek Road (another gravel road) but as it was still earlyish and we understood the Wolves to be early morning and late evening habituees, we decided to check out the Lamar Valley then return later for our wolf-watch. On our way into the Lamar we had to cope with another Buffalo Jam, but we were able to view wildlife in a great setting so didn't much mind. Bison themselves are amazing animals, with their huge shoulders and heavy beards - in fact I'm not sure they aren't animal of the trip, they are for sure charismatic megafauna and we saw loads, up close, doing loads of stuff.

We also had our second Prairie Falcon, which unfortunately was quite distant but at least hung around fofr us to scope it. Moving on we checked out a bunch of turnouts along the side of the Lamar Valley and eventually decided it was time to turn round and head for Slough Creek. This meant making our way back through the same Buffalo Jams because Bison have a sense of humour and having messed everybody about crossing one way, they like to change their minds and all cross back.

At Slough Creek we found forty or fifty aspirant wolf-watchers standing on a low bank overlooking a couple of oxbow lakes and the outgoing Slough Creek making its way across the knees of a fell that rose on our right, towards a distant blocking hill that forced the creek left and out of sight. Among them were a uniformed ranger and an elderly gentleman who was one of the regular wolf-watchers, trying their best to satisfy numbers of people who had turned up without even the most basic of optics. They informed us that there were a couple of black wolves - of the local pack of about nine or ten - by some boulders on a low mound near the far end of the right-hand fell, but they were temporarily out of sight.

And now I have to go and pick Marion up from Sandhurst.....

John

Day 5 - Thursday.

Steve went to pay and had difficulty with a cashier fresh from the log cabin twenty miles from any road, who couldn't understand the comment "Pump 8". Eventually a more experienced female cashier interpreted and we were on our way again,

John

'You want ice?' was their response to my second attempt to explain that I
wanted to pay for pump 8. Their first was just a look of complete bewilderment.

OK, so it was all over bar the shouting. We waited a little while and then someone said "They're showing" and a peer through the bins revealed two black shapes with pointy ears on the far distant hillside - I checked the distance on Google maps the other day and from the watchpoint to the mound where the wolves were is 1.8 miles. I was thrilled, regardless of the distance. Wolves! Wild Yellowstone Wolves. "They're introduced you know," Jeff was muttering somewhere.

All too soon they had made their way out of sight and the moment was over, but of course by then, distance or no, my camera had been clicking and the Wolves were in the can. How tall is a Wolf's ear? Five inches? Its a discriminating instrument that can discern ears at 1.8 miles.

We moved off and back through the Lamar Valley again. By now we had some extra intel that there had been a breeding pair of Coyotes near the Institute - till a week earlier.... and that there was another regular wolf watch for the Lamar Canyon pack at the far end of the valley along Soda Butte Creek. It was still light when we reached that site so we stopped to give it a go.

There was no sign of the Wolves, but after a while someone who was watching the far side of the valley, beyond the creek, remarked that there was a bear crossing some open ground. We got on it quickly and it was a Black Bear - tick! It was closer than the Wolves and I took a couple of record shots in case it turned out to be the only Black Bear we saw. It rambled across an open slope below some pine woodland and eventually trended upwards to disappear among the trees.

Both bears, and Wolf in one day - pretty neat. We packed up our optics as the light started to fade towards dusk, and headed onwards to the park boundary in the middle of a small convoy, now alert for the grouse and any emerging night-shift animals that might be moving along the road. Perhaps a couple of miles before we reached the park entrance, as we were passing through hilly thick pine forest, the two cars in front of us stopped quite suddenly: perforce so did we. A big black adult Wolf dropped down onto the road from the uphill left side just ahead of the front car, paused, gave us all a look with its big pale eyes and slid away beyond the cars to disappear into the woods on the downhill side. It was fifty to seventy yards away and nobody could complain about the views this time. Or could they: it had a radio collar.... still, what a view!

We reached Cooke City in a good mood, booked in to comfortable rooms and headed out to the Beartooth Cafe for dinner. It was busy but service was good, food very good and the beer range and strength pretty awesome. I enjoyed Scapegoat IPA while Steve essayed the local wheat beer and Jeff had a couple of different things including Moose drool. A fine end to a fine day's sightings.

John

Pix:

Bison have right of way
Buffalo Jam (Maz's pic)
Pronghorn
Wolf
Black Bear

Attachments

• 2014_08_07 (21)_Bison_have_right_of_way (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_07 (21)_Bison_have_right_of_way (800x533).jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 2014_08_07 (21a) M3_Buffalo_Jam (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_07 (21a) M3_Buffalo_Jam (800x533).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 2014_08_07 (22)_Pronghorn (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_07 (22)_Pronghorn (800x533).jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 2014_08_07 (24)_Wolf (800x534).jpg
    2014_08_07 (24)_Wolf (800x534).jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 2014_08_07 (25)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_07 (25)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 87
Congratulations on nailing your top targets - both bears plus wolf plus GG Owl plus pix of all of them is seriously gripping!

Cheers
Mike

Yaa, got de Wolf ...ah well, guess you're not up for the Baltic slog anymore :)

PS.pinned Ringed Seal down the weekend before last :t:

Yaa, got de Wolf ...ah well, guess you're not up for the Baltic slog anymore :)

PS.pinned Ringed Seal down the weekend before last :t:

Don't be so sure.... I still want the portrait pix and you have access to quite a few ticks for me!

I've been at Bournemouth airshow all day so no updates till tomorrow, sorry!

Had some nice Fallow Deer on the way back while trying to find roads not jammed with homing holidaymakers.

John

We were up early the next morning and off out in fine weather to Slough Creek, where we would get a look at the Wolves with the light behind us instead of right in our faces. It was on the edge of being frosty but the air was clear and as the sun came up it began to warm our backs immediately. The regular watcher explained that there was a gray Wolf present, but it was lying down next to a boulder. We found the boulder but it required a good deal of optimism to believe we could see the Wolf.

While we waited for some movement I scanned the nearer wilderness and spotted a Beaver swimming across a nearby oxbow lake where a Great Blue Heron was roosting on a low branch. There was an adult Bald Eagle sitting in a tree perhaps a third of the way from us to where the Wolf was lurking - or perhaps lazing would be a better word. A herd of Bison were on the higher moors to our left, backed by a bank of mist. A couple of Sandhill Cranes flew near the Bison, calling: its amazing how far the sound carries in the clear mountain air.

The Wolf stood up: we'd been told it was one of the pups but it was tall and rangy and looked pretty much full size to me through my 500 + 1.4. It strolled a couple of steps and settled down again. This continued for a while but eventually it wandered off and so did we.

Our next stop was definitely for breakfast. We had difficulty spotting the recommended Roosevelt Lodge and had to ask at the petrol station, who directed us to the track right next door, which was in fact right opposite the road we had arrived on and had a huge sign saying "Roosevelt Lodge" that we had managed to completely miss. They also gave us a map.

As we drove up the track Steve spotted a chipmunk scuttling along the side, so we stopped to check it out. It climbed up a bush to give him the perfect shot and then dived into the sagebrush before I could get my camera to bear. I think I may have heard a cry of "f***ing straps" from Jeff as he was also baulked from a shot. From the views and Steve's pics it seemed likely to be a Yellow-pine Chipmunk. We parked up near the lodge and had brief views of a Uinta ground Squirrel bolting towards and diving under the veranda of the gift shop.

We thought the Lodge had provision for eating outside but it turned out to be just an array of rocking chairs on its veranda - stoop, whatever. We carried on in to get food and coffee, and discuss the plan for the next part of the day.

John

Attachments

• 2014_08_08 (1)_Wolf (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_08 (1)_Wolf (800x533).jpg
    321 KB · Views: 95
After a decent repast we moved on to the canyon overlook where it was crowded - we'd just missed an appearance from the "regular" female Black Bear and her cubs. Walking out to the viewpoint we had cracking views of Red-breasted Nuthatch, finally I'd seen all the North American nuthatches in North America: previously my only R-b Nuthatch was the Holkham bird. It allowed us photos before flying off with its diagnostic call: the guides all suggest a tin trumpet but it always reminds me of the cartoon Roadrunner.

An Osprey was calling but I couldn't locate it. The reason was it was way down in the canyon where my fear of heights wouldn't let me look, but I managed to get close enough to the railings to snap it zooming up to a perch on a pine on the far side.

Now Maz wants a lift from work....

John

Sorry about the interruptions, hopefully I can bash on a bit today.

I failed to say this is Day 6, Friday, BTW.

We moved on from Tower up to the high meadow where we had seen the Grizzly female and cub the previous afternoon. We had heard they had showed in the same place for several days, so we thought a stakeout was a good idea. A stop of a couple of hours didn't produce a result and with hindsight, a better approach to finding bears in Yellowstone would be to do what the grockles do: simply drive round the park and stop where you find a bear jam. Seriously, that approach works.

What it doesn't do is get you views of small birds. For that you do need to keep stopping and looking at the landscape in detail. There doesn't seem to be a really satisfactory approach to selecting a bit of landscape to check out: we had thought checking picnic areas would work but everyone is so keen to avoid being eaten by bears that actually they are very good at clearing away crumbs etc, so you don't often find flocks of birds waiting to mug people for their food - or bears on the same mission for that matter!

Anyway, hanging around for the Grizzlies we did get slightly better views of Clark's Nutcrackers, a cracking male Lazuli Bunting that was a tick, and a very plain immature Cassin's Finch that sat for pix, which was more than the very brief adult male did before flying miles off and disappearing into the woods. A couple of Red-tailed Hawks circling above and hunting the upper slope gave us something else to watch, and the area was also populated with some really funky grasshoppers that kept flying around showing as big yellow spots while making a loud sound like a very fast crackling fire. Unfortunately on the ground they revert to being dull brown camouflaged things and in-flight photos proved to be beyond me. They were really excellent though, dude.

Later it began to cloud up and we moved first into the Lamar Valley and then onwards to a layby below Mount Barronette where we found a total of 17 Mountain Goats feeding near the lower edge of the cliffs and screes. They were not quite as distant as the Slough Creek Wolves and scope views were actually quite good. I was absolutely delighted with these as my Mum used to subscribe to those Time-Life books that fill a bookcase faster than you can blink: the "Mountains" volume had a Mountain Goat perched precariously on a crag on the cover which determined me to see the species one day. A childhood ambition fulfilled!

The team took turns to hook their respective Canon cameras onto my 500 + 1.4 combo, and then I invited an Asian (Indian) American who was popping off with his little 200mm to do the same. Having done so he walked off telling his partner: "I have got to get one of those!" We saw him again a couple of days later and he asked me what model my lens is, so the idea was obviously gnawing at him.... I hope he has either plenty of cash or an understanding partner!

We popped into our accommodation during the afternoon, I think to give us time to pick up supplies: while waiting to move on again I had a Hairy Woodpecker (camera not to hand: some people never learn) and a couple of Pine Siskins. Off on our travels again, we paused at the canyon turnout where the number of cars suggested bear action, but we had missed it. We walked out to the canyon where Jeff and Steve found a Peregrine Falcon perched. The bad news was it was vertically down the cliff on our side, and the only way to see let alone photograph it, was to look directly downwards hanging over the railing, with the boiling rapids of the river several hundred feet below the bird. I managed to inch up to the railings and by staying firmly behind my camera (I have found over the years that looking through the viewfinder and taking pictures detaches me to an extent from the situation) I managed to snatch a couple of snaps before trotting quickly backwards away from the drop.

Then we returned to the high meadow - still no Grizzlies - and back down to the canyon turnout where the lynx-eyed Jeff spotted a bear up on the ridge 80 yards above the road, through trees, while driving. It had to be the regular Black Bear female with, presumably, her three cubs and very quickly we were parked, out of the car and trying to spot what was going on. The adult must have disappeared over the ridge again - curses - but at least two cubs, a black one and a cinnamon one, were still intermittently visible a bit at a time as they foraged and played among the dead branches and tall herbaceous plants.

Then the family set off along the top of the ridge and sprinting left along the road towards another small turnout we finally got a fairly clear view of the adult female striding along the ridgeline - backlit of course, but you can't have everything.....

Especially if you are short. I couldn't see very well but several other people had climbed up on the stone wall that divided the road from the cliffs and in an instant I was up there with them, hand-holding the 500mm and shooting uphill across the road with a several hundred foot drop immediately at my back waiting for an incautious step backwards. I kept my attention firmly to my front.....

When the bears disappeared into the next block of timber I jumped down off the wall, ran along to my left and climbed up on it again at the next turnout, where more onlookers had re-established contact with the bears a bit closer. Unfortunately they were now very much on the move and all I got was a back end and an ear of cub before they once again, and more permanently, disappeared among the tumbled rocks, deadfalls, dead ground and herbage of the slope.

Our intention for the evening session was to try the Soda Butte Creek again, as we had gen that views were regular and at the very least, closer than at Slough Creek. The drizzly weather cleared up a bit as we returned towards the Lamar Valley, then we got caught in what we thought must be a Buffalo jam (it was exactly where we'd been in one earlier). It wasn't, as the general air of urgency and mayhem quickly indicated: it was another female Black Bear with three black cubs.

Again the behaviour of the onlookers was nothing short of lunacy (and on this occasion there were no rangers to try to keep order): individuals were scuttling to within 10 or 20 yards of the bears to take pictures with their phones: parents were allowing their kids to do the same without even attempting to keep up with them. We were amazed again. Treating a mother bear with cubs with the casual contempt you would a rabbit - just insane.

It was apparent to us that the bears wanted to cross the road, but the traffic and onlookers kept blocking them. We had terrific views (though the light by now was pretty awful, especially when they were under trees) including getting to watch the cubs go up trees and climb - and in some cases fall - down them again. It really was the full package and we enjoyed it very much. We could have enjoyed it more if the crowd hadn't been so mad. Honestly, the most rabid twitchers on Britain wouldn't treat a rarity like this, much less an animal that could rip them in half.

After several attempts to get ahead of the cars and cross the road - all baulked by the cars moving along to get mega views - the adult got fed up and led the cubs away up the hill to the right. We carried on through the Lamar Valley, didn't see any Wolves but did pick up some additional news of them, and arrived back in Cooke City to head once again for the Beartooth Cafe. This time we got a table without too much difficulty but were served by the village idiot. We got the general idea when he came back three times to check on our drinks order: there were only four of us, we ordered only three different drinks and he had a pad to write them on. He went on to similar demonstrations of intellectual challenge with our food and subsequent drinks orders, but he was genial and trying (in both senses!) so we did our best to be as genial. I had a half rack of pork ribs and Maz went for the Chili SOB and neither of us went away hungry: I had been correct in thinking a full rack of ribs would be Man vs Food. I stuck to the Scapegoat IPA and thoroughly enjoyed it.

John

Last edited:
Day 6 Morning Pix:

Osprey
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Cassin's Finch
Lazuli Bunting
Cassin's Finch

John

Attachments

• 2014_08_08 (2a)_Osprey (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (2a)_Osprey (533x800).jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 2014_08_08 (2b)_Red-breasted_Nuthatch (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (2b)_Red-breasted_Nuthatch (533x800).jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2014_08_08 (3)_Cassins_Finch (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_08 (3)_Cassins_Finch (800x533).jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014_08_08 (3a)_Lazuli_Bunting (2) (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (3a)_Lazuli_Bunting (2) (533x800).jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 2014_08_08 (3c)_Cassins_Finch (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (3c)_Cassins_Finch (533x800).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Afternoon Pix:

Mountain Goat
Peregrine Falcon
Black Bear X 2

John

Attachments

• 2014_08_08 (4)_Mountain_Goat (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (4)_Mountain_Goat (533x800).jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014_08_08 (4a)_Peregrine_Falcon (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (4a)_Peregrine_Falcon (533x800).jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2014_08_08 (4d)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_08 (4d)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2014_08_08 (4b)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_08 (4b)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    338 KB · Views: 51
Evening Pix:

Black Bear X 5

John

Attachments

• 2014_08_08 (5)_Black_Bear (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (5)_Black_Bear (533x800).jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2014_08_08 (5a)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_08 (5a)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2014_08_08 (6)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_08 (6)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2014_08_08 (7)_Black_Bear (533x800).jpg
    2014_08_08 (7)_Black_Bear (533x800).jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2014_08_08 (10)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_08 (10)_Black_Bear (800x533).jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi John, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that the morning pic of a Peregrine has morphed into a R-b Nuthatch ... You certainly got those bears this time !

I'm sorry about the hiatus: I have been losing ground on the photography front with an unusually hectic end to the airshow season (this coming weekend is as bad.) I must empty my cards during the week and if I get that done I will be back on track - till I fill them up again....

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back