• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

MikePearson

How many of you have just seen that fantastic footage on bbc2 on the kingfishers, sorry but but I dont have time or even the words to describe it at the moment except to say that it was probably the most stunning piece of wild life photography I've ever seen! Amazing. Got to go,

Mike

Sorry I missed it Mike, because I absolutely love Kingfishers. What was the programme? Perhaps there'll be a repeat.

If you get the name of the program please do post it.. I have seen footage on Belted Kingfishers fishing.. and it was the most amazing footage I had seen.... this must be close to that...

Mike
Was it on the wildlife program with Alan titchmarsh on bbc2? if so it's from a program on otters that was shown on bbc fairly recently under the natural world heading.
Hope this helps
regards
Peter

Yes Peter,

that was the program and I did not see the original program that this highlight was from. I have also failed to find any kind of webcast link to either show and sadly I didn't record it as all videos are packed for the move. So the best I can do is try to describe the clip in a few for Gaye's benefit.

Firstly, although I was aware that KFishers are territorial, I didn't realise they were lethally so!

The scene opens on a bright summers day with a pair of kingfishers sitting on a branch above a fast flowing stream. A third kingfisher, a female desparate for a mate and territory tries to muscle in and the resident female does what Kingfishers apparently do to defend her territory.

In less than a second, these two beautifuly coloured birds are spinning, wings outstretched on the surface of the water, each attempting to drown the other!

I was finding this quite distressing but at the same time felt myself rooting for the resident female.

I briefly entertained the thought that she might not have bothered had she realised that her partner did not appear to stir from his branch in her defence!

And just as the viewer was expecting the predictable loss by drowning of one of thes beautiful specimens........

....... absolutely out of nowhere, and as fast as I have ever seen such predatory action, a mink siezes and makes off with one of the two birds.

I have to say here that this was not some blurry long distance action either, it was so clear and sharp you felt that you were standing within a few feet of the action. Stunning photography!

And the follow-up, (I would have said dennoumont but I havent't learned to spell it yet and the dictionary is, yes you've guessed.... packed) the surviving femal flies to the branch to join the male.

Who survived I hear you ask? Well I like to think that the male very briefly congratulated his lady on her success before he did what came naturally but on his performance up to now, who knows, he may have prefered the looks of the newcomer from the start! We will never know.

Mike

Sounds like stunning stuff, Mike. If anyone hears of this coming up for a repeat showing, perhaps they'd like to post it.

Once after a very pleasing holiday in brittiany ,my friend and i spent over an hour watching and photographing a very pleasing display by a Kingfisher ,it was most welcome the journey back looked like being rough (OH BOY WASIT )and we had time on our hands , it was a present from the gods , most enjoyable, the kingfisher in my opinion is like a flying gem certainly a treasure.

YES THANKS NEW TO EVERY THING , I WILL GET USED TO THINGS , BUT IT WILL BE SLOW, IM NEW TO BIRDWATCHING HAVING JUST BEEN INTRODUCED TO IT BY A GOOD FRIEND ,IT HAS ITS UP SIDE IMGETTING ALL THE OLD TELESCOPES BINOS ETC, YOU WILL RECOGNIZE ME OUT THERE BY ALL THE OLD CAST OFFS AROUND MY NECK AND A VERY BIG SMILE AS I DIDNT PAY FOR A THING.

Mike

When this programme was on before I posted a very similar thread to yours detailing exactly what you have said. It was a fantastic programme and one that I wish I had video'd. I didn't know that it was being repeated otherwise I would have taped it.

To me this programme was awesome and goes down as possibly one of the best wildlife events I have ever seen.

Yeh it caught me on the hop , I was on the web and me current squeeeze said, "hey you should be watching this!".

Sdaly totally unprepared. Maybe when Birdforum gets really famous the beeb will send us a webcast link.

I think we are gettting there, 'tis only a matter of time.

Mike

Hi John,

Yeh twas fantastic and thats saying something bearing in mind the beebs wildlife output.

Hi Pedro,

That seems to make some sense, I'll use "My Halcyon River" as a search thread or try to contact Julian Hector as that is his 'neck of the woods', if I can track him down these days. Maybe Peter Hayes may have more luck there.

thanks,

Mike

Fantastic accounting.. I am so thankful to you for that! I am going to see if there is any tape available or if PBS has a plan on airing this anytime in our future... we find PBS a great source of viewing positives!!!
Thank you again
Gaye

I have programme on my computer that informs whenever certain programmes are shown. I have set it to tell me if ever this one is shown again on terrestrial or digital TV and will post it up as and when

Thank you for the link Peter... it is a good one and I shall save it to my favourites. I recall seeing the footage on the otters. Quite wonderful actually.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back