• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mixed bag of birds need to i.d. (1 Viewer)

glide133

I'm not certain of the bird names or this duck all spotted in central park nyc.thanks for the help_*

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1493566762634.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493566762634.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 33
  • FB_IMG_1493566768622.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493566768622.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 28
  • FB_IMG_1493566776531.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493566776531.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 57
  • FB_IMG_1493566784596.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493566784596.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 17
1. Picked up my book and it fell open to American Redstart.
2. Black and White Warbler?
3. ??
4. Pretty sure this is a feral domestic, Muscovy x.

I can see you are new to this, hummingbird2, and that's very cool. Always nice to see people pursue the interest.

The most obvious differences between these two birds that you will want to note as you work on your identification skills are...

Overall shape. Chickadees and their European relatives, the Tits, have very short bodies. When they fluff up even a little against the cold, they can seem almost spherical.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b8/63/46/b863469ffa2c1bec33de15f0c4b6d963.jpg

Bill shape. The chickadees have a short, quite conical beak shape. The warbler in question above has a much longer beak, more thorn-like, much more elongated.

Field marks. Chickadees and most tits have some white or lighter/high contrast markings on their head, whereas the Warbler above has no white on the face. The Warbler in #2 has some white on the face, but the beak is also much more elongated than any species of Chickadee or Tit.

If you really want to pursue it, I'd recommend picking up one of the Sibley guides, if you can spare the $20. If not, check out a guidebook from the library so you can familiarize yourself with their layouts (they are mostly very similar). Some books have some good pointers on observing field marks, behaviour, and using those to narrow your choices. Once you can recognize the major groups, you can start narrowing them down quite quickly.

I can see you are new to this, hummingbird2, and that's very cool. Always nice to see people pursue the interest.

The most obvious differences between these two birds that you will want to note as you work on your identification skills are...

Overall shape. Chickadees and their European relatives, the Tits, have very short bodies. When they fluff up even a little against the cold, they can seem almost spherical.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b8/63/46/b863469ffa2c1bec33de15f0c4b6d963.jpg

Bill shape. The chickadees have a short, quite conical beak shape. The warbler in question above has a much longer beak, more thorn-like, much more elongated.

Field marks. Chickadees and most tits have some white or lighter/high contrast markings on their head, whereas the Warbler above has no white on the face. The Warbler in #2 has some white on the face, but the beak is also much more elongated than any species of Chickadee or Tit.

If you really want to pursue it, I'd recommend picking up one of the Sibley guides, if you can spare the $20. If not, check out a guidebook from the library so you can familiarize yourself with their layouts (they are mostly very similar). Some books have some good pointers on observing field marks, behaviour, and using those to narrow your choices. Once you can recognize the major groups, you can start narrowing them down quite quickly.

Oh the beaks, and size, thank you for helping me. I'm trying and glad you took the time to help. What a cute picture!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back