• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gartered Trogon- Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Can't be much else but why does it have a blue eye ring?

Taken in the Osa

A

Attachments

• DSC_2060.jpg
    DSC_2060.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Not been to CR (yet) : presume we're sure it's not male black - throated Trogon ? Quote from neotropical birds (Cornell) : "Male Gartered Trogon is similar to the male Black-throated Trogon but the latter has greenish iridescence in the neck and chest and a pale blue eye-ring, in contrast to the Gartered’s violet-blue iridescence and yellow eye-ring (Ridgley 1974)"

Not been to CR (yet) : presume we're sure it's not male black - throated Trogon ? Quote from neotropical birds (Cornell) : "Male Gartered Trogon is similar to the male Black-throated Trogon but the latter has greenish iridescence in the neck and chest and a pale blue eye-ring, in contrast to the Gartered’s violet-blue iridescence and yellow eye-ring (Ridgley 1974)"

I think you have it Fern, the bill seems yellow as well making it Black-throated but the blue irridescence put me off and there seems to be more of a white breast band than I'd expect on B-throated?

Black-headed is out of range Sasquatch.

Mark it down as experience!

A

Last edited:
Just been looking at Surfbirds gallery, there are a couple of birds labelled as Black-throated that look like Black-throated but have a yellow eye ring?

Look at the one by Pete Morris.

A

Some Black-throateds (races?) do show yellow eyerings, I've seen a small few, kind of confusing actually.

I think the original pic is a black-throated seen under lighting that makes the iridescence look bluer than normal, possibly confounded by a photo that did not get the white balance quite right.

Niels

I think the original pic is a black-throated seen under lighting that makes the iridescence look bluer than normal, possibly confounded by a photo that did not get the white balance quite right.

Niels

Did you look at the pics of Black-throated on Surfbirds?

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back