• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18 months in Shanghai: March 2012 - August 2013 (1 Viewer)

You're kidding right? ...

I hope you got stonking views and were so absorbed you forgot to take a shot!

Of course he was - you couldn't really just get that picture! And of course he didn't forget to take pics!

So will you let the rest of us non-FB types know what all you saw?

4 days in Yangkou

Saturday 14th April

International Ritchie Blackmore Day (t'owd git turned 67 today) dawned early at least...bright was a more interesting proposition. Rising at 0430 for a 5am start followed hot on the heels of Friday's departure from Shanghai by bus to Rudong where Zhang Lin (Mcaribou of this parish) met me with the first of the 3 drivers we would use over the following 4 days. A swift 30km to Yangkou; a painless check in and to bed at around 2300 with that 0430 alarm to look forward to.

Our, international (ZL, me, a Dutch, a Swede (?)) party numbered 4 this morning with a further 2 (another Brit,and a fellow Finn (I claim Finnishness on account of living and working there when not seconded here to the People's Republic)) to join us later on for the remainder of the weekend. I than had Monday and Tuesday with Lin before heading back to the city late afternoon on the 17th.

First destination was the mud flats via the seawall and a forest of spartina. Pallas's Buntings and Oriental Skylarks there to meet us. A very brief chat turned to give Lin and I a flash of his sparkly, ruby throat before disappearing like a sprite...much to the chagrin of the other 2 members of our party! The fish ponds on our left in varying states of repair / preparation were largely empty save 1 that seemed to hold the magic conditions undistinguishable to human eyes, ears or noses; this had a nice selection of waders: Redshank, Red-necked Stint, Marsh Sandpiper, a Common Greenshank, some Kentish Plovers.

A call from the spartina puzzled us and so it was time to leave the relatively easy walking part of the morning's programme and descend to the spartina morass to both investigate what wee beastie was singing siren-like to us and to cross the sea of knots designed to trip the unwary to the clear mudflats beyond...only there would we stand a chance of...”them”

A bunting was making the noise and after a short while we established we were looking at Japanese Reed Bunting – the second lifer of the day brightened things up. Next to find the fishermen's path through the spartina. Some hunting around for the trail and distant “3+3” marker poles and we were off stumbling along collecting mud and reed stems on our boots to add to the punishing exercise regime.

Finally clear mud was reached...that this was a pleasant surprise was largely due to the somewhat misty morning. Now, where were the waders? Well, overhead we'd already heard Little Curlew! Seeing them was a different, today, unfulfilled proposition!! Distant was the answer so off we set to look for the waters edge and the wading birds...ghostly boats lay on the mud without the necessary liquid to float on. Slowly birds began to appear and the grilling began...Dunlin, Grey Plover, Red-necked Stint, Curlew, the odd smartly-plumaged Lesser Sandplover. Saunder's Gulls, immaculately attired kee-awed overhead and Common Terns of the black-billed longipennis race were in evidence. A few Great Knot livened things up as the morning wore on...our tracks tracing a circular path through the glutinous mud...standing still often giving rise to a slightly sinking feeling!

A flock of birds on the shore of a larger channel seemed to hold promise and we worked our way slowly towards them until, just as the script dictates, Lin quietly declared that he had our quarry in his sights...quick views so all could see it and at 0850 on Saturday 14th April 2012 I joined the club of people who can say “Spoon-billed Sandpiper? On my list”!!

There it was...a tiny waif heading north to...to what? Oblivion quite possibly...the pace of industrial development in this increasingly recognised important stopping site for a whole range of waders is changing the behaviour of the birds at high tide...that the chemical industry is the main driving force for new construction surely means accident risk (the poisoning of the whole bay) is increased...mixed emotions...joyful to finally set eyes on this most-wanted species with it's fantastic little spoon-shaped bill coupled with that chill in the stomach that such a wee thing has no hope against the “7 billion”...

A winter plumage bird, we soon found a second. Later on we found our 3rd bird of the day, this time a transitional one. The flock soon moved off to follow the tide and so we turned and began our trek back to the spartina edge. Fog had closed in again and we eventually quizzed one of the many shellfish harvesters on the quickest route back...sadly/hilariously this involved the crossing of a channel that was too deep for my welly boots and the cooling waters filled 'em! I squelched to a handily placed raft and emptied them despite the possible health benefits of a water-cooled propulsion system...A lone mudskipper showed us how to walk across this terrain properly.

Once the “3+3” had guided us to the proper path we retraced our steps to the sea wall and our welcoming committee of Pallas's Buntings...all males. Oriental Skylarks sang overhead and dust-bathed on the path as our driver appeared to save is a few hundred meters of walking.

Following lunch in the hotel dining room (and very nice it was too) it was decided to check out the fish ponds followed by a late afternoon visit to the magic wood and the “Temple garden” for passerine action. The scale of the fish and crustacean farming has to be seen to be believed and the same logic applied here as to those this morning...most were of no interest to birds but a couple had the correct “atmosphere” to suit them and we came across flocks of egrets (Little and Great) and Common Terns and gulls mostly Black-headed and Saunder's but with a few larger Heuglin's / Mongolian things thrown in for those that like those things...Highlight was a single, breeding plumaged Black-faced Spoonbill that remained distant but no less impressive for that.

Transiting along the seawall we stopped to scan some pools and scored with a flock of c.20 Falcated Duck with 8 Eurasian Wigeon for company.

The woods and scrubby gardens were quiet with a few buntings, Red-flanked Bluetails, thrushes (mostly Dusky), etc. A flock of Red-billed and White-cheeked Starlings came and went from under the eaves of the Temple (this being a recent artificial construction rather than a genuine antique...part of a drive to create tourism in a town known for the fishing, fish-farming and driving school...”Come to Yangkou and get run over” not a slogan that rolls off the tongue I guess...

Having declared the “Temple garden” (scrubby waste patch outside the Temple proper) empty I enjoyed a pleasent meal as I ate my words while watching a Red-flanked Bluetail pair, 1 Olive-backed Pipit, 4 Dusky Thrush and an Eastern Crowned Warbler...

Dusk was descending so we retraced our steps to the vehicles and the short trip back to the hotel for a very welcome hot shower, celebratory beer and another good feast before agreeing “same time tomorrow” and hitting the sack at about 0830!

Attachments

• 11006_Japanese Reed Bunting_00.jpg
    11006_Japanese Reed Bunting_00.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 11010_Ghost ship B&W.jpg
    11010_Ghost ship B&W.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 11011_Zhang Lin.jpg
    11011_Zhang Lin.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 11015_Waders in flight.jpg
    11015_Waders in flight.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 11018_Fishing Junk.jpg
    11018_Fishing Junk.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 112
Saturday 14th April - more pictures

More pictures from this celebratory day...

Attachments

• 11029_Shellfish harvester_02_B&W.jpg
    11029_Shellfish harvester_02_B&W.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 11032_Mudskipper.jpg
    11032_Mudskipper.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 11035_Black-faced Spoonbill_01.jpg
    11035_Black-faced Spoonbill_01.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 11037_Common Tern_longipennis.jpg
    11037_Common Tern_longipennis.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 11085_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    11085_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 118
Agreed - sounds like a top day Mark - the first Spooner is always special. After that description the comfort of a hide overlooking the scrape at Mai Po sounds like a delightfully soft option!

I like the shot of the waders in flight and the BFS - keep a look out for ringed birds.

Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mark, Mike. I certainly felt I'd "earned" my spooners! Worth every step though. Better get writing the rest up while still fresh in my mind :0)

4 days in Yangkou

Sunday 15th April

Up on time and out ready for action at 0500 we set off in 3 vehicles to accommodate everyone's varied schedules: 2 to leave at 0900, 2 to leave around 1600 and me and Lin remaining for the following 2 days.

The first stop was more mudflats but without the choking spartina of yesterday. A brighter morning had all in good spirits and the “breakfast biscuits” were doing their trick as we gathered our energies for more wader hunting. First birds on arrival at a shellfish harvesting shed was a large pipit flock on the landward side of the seawall that resolved into smart Red-throated Pipits and later in the morning post-mudflats included several equally smart Buff-bellied Pipits too...smart birds.

Wellies on and down to the waiting gloop we scrambled...plan was to head towards the incoming tide and sunshine so we got the best light on the already located large wader flocks. Kentish Plovers were the outriders, patrolling the upper beach and, like all the waders looking smart in their breeding finery.

The distance reduced the scoping of the flocks began in earnest and the same species as the previous day made themselves known albeit in larger numbers: Dunlin, Grey Plover, Eurasian Curlew, Bar-tailed Godwit, Red-necked Stint, Lesser Sandplover, Terek Sandpiper were all seen in varying numbers and at varying distances. No Nordmann's Greenshank and no spooner immediately visible but relocating towards a line of fishing nets soon had Lin uttering the magic words again...”Possible Spooner”. A roosting bird tucked in with some equally snoozy Dunlin. Eventually a stretch of the wings and some preening revealed the defining field mark...that wonderfully shaped bill in sharp relief against the white breast feathers. Another bird in largely winter plumage.

Our two early leavers and Lin moved off to try to locate that elusive Nordmann's amongst the larger waders off to our right whilst my Finnish namesake, Markku, and his camera wandered solo looking for the killer shot. Fellow brit John and myself slowly edged forward towards the still sleeping waders...as much a necessity of our settling into the mud as any desire to close the distance...a fresh patch of mud needed every few minutes to level the scope and viewer as we sank at differing rates!

John eventually retired towards the seawall as the borrowed boots took their toll on his feet. Short phone calls with Lin across the mud established that the Nordmann's was still not playing so...there I was...probably the only 1 in 7 billion watching a Spoon-billed Sandpiper right here, right now! I could probably have closed the distance more but the thought of flushing a spooner just didn't sit well with me so I settled for a respectable distance to watch the little fella and absorb the general spectacle of estuary birding...memories of umpteen trips over to Hilbre back in the early '70's with the Mid-Cheshire OS surfaced before a call from Lin to suggest an early lunch (well early by the clock but long overdue by the stomach!) followed by an afternoon move to the woods and fish ponds broke the reverie. A gentle reverse to a safe distance then a short walk back to the seawall and the waiting vehicles.

The “woods”...in reality belts of trees lining the roads along the seawall and those heading inland but islands of habitat that tired birds in a hurry to head north to the breeding grounds welcome all the same.

“The 'tic' of rare buntings” greeted us and Black-faced and Little Buntings were quickly added to the day's tally. Manchurian Bush and Pallas's Warblers; a female Daurian Redstart; several smart Red-flanked Bluetails, ubiquitous Chinese Bulbuls; Chinese Grosbeaks (who on earth named them “Yellow-billed” then? Go g**gl* Chinese and Japanese and see who has the cleanest, yellowest beak of all...); and flightly thrushes were all present and Olive-backed Pipits were buzzing away. No sign of the Japanese Thrush, Narcissus Flycatcher, male Pied Harrier or Japanese Robin all found by other birders (Hi Jocko, Tong!) the previous day. It was soon time for John and Markku to begin their drive south to Shanghai to prepare for their weeks business.

A late afternoon trip to the fishponds for Lin and I revealed smart Sharp-tailed Sandpipers (Shotwick '73 ('74?!) continued the reminiscing...) and courting Saunder's Gulls. No sign of the Black-faced Spoonbill however. Amongst the gulls we spied an ugly brute that seemed to fit the description of the Slaty-backed Gull also seen the previous day. In heavy moult it was a bird only a mother could love (see thread in ID forum for more of this beauty (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=227933) A lone Whiskered Tern surprised us as we tried to grab shots of this uncommon visitor.

All too soon the light was fading and day 2 rapidly drew to a close. Back to the hotel for the welcoming hot shower and evening meal and a decision to start at 0530 and stop for a delicious al fresco breakfast in the morning...well the high tide was getting later day by day so why not enjoy the lie in?!

Attachments

• 11112_Fishing nets with sandplover_02_B&W.jpg
    11112_Fishing nets with sandplover_02_B&W.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 11150_SPOON-BILLED SANDPIPER.jpg
    11150_SPOON-BILLED SANDPIPER.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 134
  • 11227_SPOON-BILLED SANDPIPER.jpg
    11227_SPOON-BILLED SANDPIPER.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 11244_Greater Sandplover.jpg
    11244_Greater Sandplover.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 11248_Terek Sandpiper.jpg
    11248_Terek Sandpiper.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 108
4 days in Yangkou

Some more of the day's pictures...apparently "Love Rock" is artificial and part of the "resort" theme of Love...

Attachments

• 11254_Van on seawall.jpg
    11254_Van on seawall.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 11255_Siberian Stonechat.jpg
    11255_Siberian Stonechat.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 11257_Heuglin's Gull.jpg
    11257_Heuglin's Gull.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 11259_Love Rock.jpg
    11259_Love Rock.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 119
  • 11258_Fishing boat.jpg
    11258_Fishing boat.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
4 days in Yangkou

and some more from the afternoon in the woods...

Attachments

• 11264_Chinese Bulbul.jpg
    11264_Chinese Bulbul.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 11274_Chinese Grosbeak.jpg
    11274_Chinese Grosbeak.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 151
  • 11286_Manchurian Bush Warbler_Cettia canturians canturians.jpg
    11286_Manchurian Bush Warbler_Cettia canturians canturians.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 11295_Pallas's Warbler.jpg
    11295_Pallas's Warbler.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 11296_Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    11296_Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 106
4 days in Yangkou

Still more..!

Attachments

• 11300_Daurian Redstart_female.jpg
    11300_Daurian Redstart_female.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 11306_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    11306_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 11308_Little Bunting.jpg
    11308_Little Bunting.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 11315_Little Bunting.jpg
    11315_Little Bunting.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 11328_Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.jpg
    11328_Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 109
4 days in Yangkou

Still..!

Attachments

• 11330_PGP_Wood Sand_Record Shot.jpg
    11330_PGP_Wood Sand_Record Shot.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 11332_Great White Egret.jpg
    11332_Great White Egret.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 113
  • 11335_Saunder's Gull.jpg
    11335_Saunder's Gull.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 11347_Saunder's Gull.jpg
    11347_Saunder's Gull.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 11345_Fish Farm Life.jpg
    11345_Fish Farm Life.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 102
4 days in Yangkou

Finally..!

Attachments

• 11383_Gull.jpg
    11383_Gull.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 11408_Gull.jpg
    11408_Gull.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 103
  • 11391_Gull.jpg
    11391_Gull.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 11412_Whiskered Tern.jpg
    11412_Whiskered Tern.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 11416_Whiskered Tern.jpg
    11416_Whiskered Tern.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 90
That enough for you Gretchen? :D

Quite nice! Don't know if you've seen a blog called "birds from behind" - looks like you're in contention for more "buttz" than that one. Actually, it's great to see pictures from that angle, since some birds aren't always so polite as to turn around.

By the way, about that Grosbeak - was that an insect he was eating? (Almost looks like a flower!)

Looks like some great birding!

Grozzer was eating the flower, yes. Not aware of their diet so no idea if normal or abnormal behaviour! Finished Sunday but still more of this nonsense to "do" Monday and Tuesday...

Grozzer was eating the flower, yes. Not aware of their diet so no idea if normal or abnormal behaviour! Finished Sunday but still more of this nonsense to "do" Monday and Tuesday...

Fascinating! You would not think that that was not the purpose for their monstrous beaks! Anyone else seen this?

Fascinating! You would not think that that was not the purpose for their monstrous beaks! Anyone else seen this?

Its quite normal for grosbeak to consume flowers, often seen munching away and sometimes the easiest way to find them when they're not calling... find their favourite flowers!

Its quite normal for grosbeak to consume flowers, often seen munching away and sometimes the easiest way to find them when they're not calling... find their favourite flowers!

Thanks for replying - quite interesting! So far I've only seen them in deep winter with no flowers about.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back