• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lundy's black rats are part of wildlife 'family'........ (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
In Conserv@tion today - http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm

I was appalled to hear the plans of conservation organisations, namely English Nature, the National Trust, the RSPB and the Landmark Trust, to wipe out the black rat from Lundy. The rats have been an important part of the island's biodiversity for over 400 years, co-existing with puffin and Manx shearwater colonies within the ecosystem. Seabird numbers started to decline only over the last 60 years. This indicates that it is not the rats at fault but some other factor, for example the over-fishing of sand eels, an important part of the seabird's diet. Black rats have been described as "one of the rarest mammals in the UK." The Lundy rats make up one of the few remaining UK colonies of black rats - surely it is madness to slaughter such a rare species.
More information - thisisSouthDevon

El Annie :)

This short extract gives a very misleading impression. The rats are wiping out the Puffins, it's as simple as that. The difference is that the rats were introduced by man - interfering yet again - and they have to go if the Puffins are to survive.

Incidentally, who is 'I' in the piece? I think we should be told.

If Man introduced the species and it is causing concern to indigenous species then man introduced things are gone.. like that!!!
Besides aren't rats rather grotty in that they carry diseases???

Black rats are beautiful. It is the Brown Rat that has the reputation of being a bit of a horrid thing.

Colin

I agree with Colin. Black rats are fine and if they have been there for 400 years, leave them be..like man, they are part of the furniture!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back