• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Much Excitement!!...... (1 Viewer)

Tammie said:
Pardon me but this was never part of the discussion. I never said a thing about taking pleasure in the killing. Watching nature take it's course normally does not offend me. The hawk needs to eat.... why not a starling? It's got much more meat on it than a little purple finch, no??
o:)

No Tammy, you just got excited about watching a natural attack.Many other birders would agree with you.
You hate Starlings ,so that was even better and again many birders may agree.
I enjoy watching the birds but can-not stomach seeing anything killed ,thats just me and I can't apologise for that.
If a Hawk was to take out a bird (any bird)I would cringe.I wouldn't think as to how much meat there was but I do know that's nature.

Is it Mr. Blair's re-election the reason for the excitement?
I know all of you folks over there voted for him, right?
OK, I'm just being silly.

Curtis Croulet said:
I think most knowledgeable North American birders understand that House Sparrows are "real" sparrows and our "sparrows" are not. But, yes, European Starlings (AOU name) and House Sparrows (we used to call them English Sparrows, so you guys are off the hook on that one) are indeed pests. The House Sparrows aren't so bad, because they are willing to live in urban areas that no other right-thinking bird would inhabit. They add a spark of life to a concrete and steel jungle. But starlings live in both cities and in rural areas, where they chase out our woodpeckers and other cavity-nesting birds. I keep hearing that starlings and House Sparrows are in decline in the UK. I think all North American birders should capture as many of the little buggers as they can and ship them to Europe, where you guys can greet them with brass bands, flags and speeches by your PM.

Actually, I used to live out in a very rural area and the last two or three years of my stay there, the House Sparrows started appearing and growing in numbers. It was a little disheartening. But now that I am living in a very urban setting, I greet those little Bluebird molesters with open arms...love to see anything alive and hopping here, aside from the people.

Tammie, I got excited just reading your post...no, not in THAT way.
There is a resident Cooper's here that I have spotted occasionally through the buildings, but have never seen it actually pursue something. The adrenline rush from watching such a raw struggle for life is natural. I, of course, would end up rooting for both creatures and eventually have a coronary.
:bounce:

Elizabeth

Hey, Mary Evelyn??? If you don't like my thread, butt out of it. Some people are just waaaaaaaayy to serious.

And no nice smilies this time, either. The least you could do is spell my name right.

Mary Evelyn said:
No Tammy, you just got excited about watching a natural attack.Many other birders would agree with you.
You hate Starlings ,so that was even better and again many birders may agree.
I enjoy watching the birds but can-not stomach seeing anything killed ,thats just me and I can't apologise for that.
If a Hawk was to take out a bird (any bird)I would cringe.I wouldn't think as to how much meat there was but I do know that's nature.

Tammie said:
Hey, Mary Evelyn??? If you don't like my thread, butt out of it. Some people are just waaaaaaaayy to serious.

And no nice smilies this time, either. The least you could do is spell my name right.

Okay Tammie.
I agree,some people are a little too serious.More so when there is a difference of opinion. ;) :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

... I like woodpeckers too, but NotThePileated. :bounce:

(Great Horned Owl belches and regurgitates a big black and white pellet of Ivorybill feathers and bones - burp B :) )

GreatHornedOwl said:
... I like woodpeckers too, but NotThePileated. :bounce:

(Great Horned Owl belches and regurgitates a big black and white pellet of Ivorybill feathers and bones - burp B :) )
ROFL! :clap:

Sorry, Tammie, couldn't help myself. ;)

Mary Evelyn said:
Okay Tammie.
I agree,some people are a little too serious.More so when there is a difference of opinion. ;) :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone had the same opinions and agreed on everything! No war for sure but not much of anything else either.

Half the fun in life is arguing with people!! :) And thanks for spelling my name right!

Tammie said:
Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone had the same opinions and agreed on everything! No war for sure but not much of anything else either.

Half the fun in life is arguing with people!! :) And thanks for spelling my name right!

I am real sorry for spelling your name wrong Tammie,I have slapped my wrists. :flowers: and offered flowers.
I just havn't your stomach.When I saw a Hawk take out a collared dove, I almost fainted.

Mary Evelyn said:
I am real sorry for spelling your name wrong Tammie,I have slapped my wrists. :flowers: and offered flowers.

I saw that and I thank you. B :)

Mary Evelyn said:
I just havn't your stomach.When I saw a Hawk take out a collared dove, I almost fainted.

Mary Evelyn, if you saw what I watch on TV regularly (true life medical shows)..... a little birdie dinner in the wild wouldn't phaze you either!! LOL :eek!:

Tammie said:
I saw that and I thank you. B :)

Mary Evelyn, if you saw what I watch on TV regularly (true life medical shows)..... a little birdie dinner in the wild wouldn't phaze you either!! LOL :eek!:

No thankyou,wouldn't go there either B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back