• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now I know Waxwings have been done to death but... (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
Couple of questions

1) How late have Waxwings stayed on in the UK before?

2) How many are still kicking about? Any recent sightings?

3) Have they ever stayed and attempted to breed?

4) What is the likelyhood of this happening this year?

Cheers

Hotspur said:
Couple of questions

1) How late have Waxwings stayed on in the UK before?

2) How many are still kicking about? Any recent sightings?

3) Have they ever stayed and attempted to breed?

4) What is the likelyhood of this happening this year?

Cheers

some were reported from Rowntree Park on (I think) Saturday

Not surprised, I have seen them on Cemetary Road up to last week, day in, day out at about 06:30 and have seen various flocks around the city, including at Rowntrees Park

I'm also puzzled by this. I can see why there have been so many waxwings migrating here this winter - apparently due to a major lack of berries in the Scandinavian countries. But why are there so many still around - surely they should be on their way back to their summer breeding grounds establishing nesting and feeding territories, and if they leave it too late they will find it difficult to establish territory, nest, mate and bring up their broods? My 'book' does say that they don't start breeding until mid-June, but I would have thought they should have packed their bags by now. Any offers from the experts?

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back