• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the rain. (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Have you ever seen anything interesting while birding in the rain in terms of species or behavior? How about any tips as to the best way to go about birding in the rain?-Larry CT.

lvn600 said:
Have you ever seen anything interesting while birding in the rain in terms of species or behavior? How about any tips as to the best way to go about birding in the rain?-Larry CT.

Sometimes I keep on birding in the rain but rarely find it worthwhile. Usually better to find some shelter and keep dry, which is what most of the birds do.

I do recall a smashing session after a real downpour in Sri Lanka, when loads of birds all sat around enjoying the sun as soon as the rain clouds cleared.

Steve

Having spent a long time in the tropics the answer is a big yes!

When in Indonesia i at first stopped birding when it rained (and i mean rained!!!) but after a while i just carried on as you usually dry off very quickly. Although as Steve said it's common sense to find a place to shelter sometimes! After a rainstorm birds can appear from everywhere and activity levels certainly rise a lot.

An umbrella is pretty much essential in the tropics. Being unable to hear calls is a distinct disadvantage - tropical storms in a jungle are extremely loud.

I've spent way too much time birding in the rain in the last several months (which was supposed to be the "dry" season! The clouds and a light drizzle will keep birding fairly good long into the day, however a downpour will send everyone (birds and birders alike) looking for shelter. But then birding can be very good again when it lets up. Of course ID'ing birds that have been soaked also can present a few problems so this will add more to your skills.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back