• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

Popped down to the river teign, by the passage house, this morning. the tide was high but 4 lapwings, 3 more than normal were present as were 4 common sands again 2 more than normal. but last night about 1800 100+ pied wag roosted right in front of the car park in the reeds, so nice to watch so many birds. things have started to move.

BREAKING NEWS : Radde's Warbler at Start Point.

Anyone without a bird news service, here are the details....

From main car park, walk back northwest along road past mast field to six bar gate and then follow field around and over two fences to view irrigation pond. Follow all on-site instructions.

A good Devon bird. Well, it is for me as I need it! Can't get down today due to unwanted commitments. All the best to those who do go.

Radde's Warbler, Start Point

The Radde's Warbler was found early morning on private farmland at Start Point. It then disappeared , despite much searching, until it showed again late afternoon. The farmer has kindly allowed access to view the bird but the following directions etc must be strictly adhered to.
Firstly please park at Start Point Car Park, SX 820374 ( free of charge in October ) and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES PARK ON THE TRIANGLE BY THE ENTRANCE TO THE MAST FIELD as some people did today. From the car park walk back up the road 0.8 miles ( approx SX812382 ) This takes you past the mast field and to a metal farm gate with a load of round bales near it inside the field. Go in this field heading back towards the mast field. DO NOT TAKE A SHORT CUT OVER THE WALL FROM THE ROAD. Follow the edge of the field, taking a 90 degree turn along the way. You then go through a gap in the next hedge, go along along edge of this field then a gap in the next hedge and you will see a high voltage electricity pole before you. head for that and you will see the pond around which the bird was first found. In the afternoon it was in the hedge c100 metres furthur down from the pond. DO NOT ENTER THE SMALL WOODED AREA BELOW HERE AND DO NOT ENTER ANY ADJACENT FARMLAND. Any problems re parking, entering other private areas will result in probable surpression of any rarities on private land at Start Point.

Hard birding weather today. Very windy. Good when you have a hangover though!

Berry Head. Not much about. One or two Chiffchaffs. Possibly when the wind dies down all those BB rarities will pop up!

Clennon Valley was equally being blown about by the wind. No small warblers with huge stripes.

Windy at Start Point. Missed all those Ring Ouzels reported early evening in the one place we didn't look, the small valley. No sign of the Radde's but some nice mushrooms and chestnuts.

Here's to the next bird.

Dartmoor appears to have been quiet on my last few visits but now the Red Grouse seem to be putting their heads up and if the Redwings and Fieldfares arrive soon there are certainly plenty of berries for them. Fingers crossed that a Great Grey Shrike will also put in an appearance this winter.

At times like this I tend to cheer myself up by delving into "The Birds of Dartmoor" by Roger Smaldon which came out last year, a very readable book which makes you realise that anything is possible. 254 species had been seen on Dartmoor up until the time of printing and two or three more since. An amazing selection of birds including five types of Grebe, Knot, Pectoral Sandpiper many other waders a vast selection of passerines from Shore Lark, Rock Thrush to Rustic Bunting and who knows I might just be the one to spot the next Red-footed or Gyr Falcon on Dartmoor!

Start Point

Highlights today were 2 Yellow-browed Warblers in Start Farm and a good selection of other birds including 2 Merlin, Golden Plovers, Black Redstart, Ring Ouzel, Redwings and a few Chiffs, Blackcaps and goldcrests.
It was not all good news however. Met the farmer from Start Farm who said on Wednesday a gate in one of his fields, on private land, had been left open. He knew for a fact it was shut on Tuesday night. Some of his cattle had got into the neighbouring farmers fields damaging the crops there. This was by the area where the Radde's Warbler was last weekend. I explained the Radde's had not been seen since Saturday so it was unlikely to have been a birder. I therefore felt embarrased when he said he saw someone drifting anonymously away in the distance with a tripod etc. Whilist it is circumstantial evidence it appears it is likely this was a birder having a look for the Radde's on the offchance it was still around. They had taken a route across a farmers land who had not agreed to allow anyone access ( though he might have if asked ).
Sadly the upshot is he has to pay compensation to his neighbour for crop damage and they both had to spend unneccesary time sorting the cattle out,( several hours). Also both have made it clear to me that in future they will not be willing to allow birders on to their private land. As an aside the farmer also said he saw several people climbing over a fragile looking dry stone wall which also gave a bad impression.
In short it looks like the majority have been tarred by a few thoughtless people but i guess that happens in many walks of life.

That's a sorry tale, Ppedro.......

It really doesn't surprise me that there are some localities where news is simply not released, ie, suppression is the norm. Especially when the local birders have gone to some trouble to establish decent relations with landowners etc, only to have that jeapordised by some thoughtless idiot or idiots. What does surprise me is that birders moan about suppression.............

How long did you spend watching the Yellow-broweds? They require a full description for the county recorder don't they?

Still awaiting the first Redwings down here. 350+ arrived on 16 Oct last year, though the Fieldfares don't make landfall on my patch till November usually.

Went to Portland on Sunday, very little at the Bill itself but twitched the 2 Cattle Egrets at Lodmoor before they became elusive, and enjoyed Meds and Cetti's at Radipole.

The Firecrest said:
How long did you spend watching the Yellow-broweds? They require a full description for the county recorder don't they?

Still awaiting the first Redwings down here. 350+ arrived on 16 Oct last year, though the Fieldfares don't make landfall on my patch till November usually.

Went to Portland on Sunday, very little at the Bill itself but twitched the 2 Cattle Egrets at Lodmoor before they became elusive, and enjoyed Meds and Cetti's at Radipole.

No Bearded Tits???

No!!!
As I type, I can hear a Dunnock singing in the garden. Haven't heard one in song here since about July, innit a bit early to be thinking about breeding?!

Last edited:
Advice please.
I have been invited to go birding in south Devon this afternoon with a young friend. However, he is not sure where would be best, as Prawle, Start, Soar, etc are a lot better in the morning. Does anyone know when high tide is at Dawlish Warren? Would Bowling Green be worth going to? Or is it worth going to Prawle or Start after all?
Please help!

The Firecrest said:
Advice please.
I have been invited to go birding in south Devon this afternoon with a young friend. However, he is not sure where would be best, as Prawle, Start, Soar, etc are a lot better in the morning. Does anyone know when high tide is at Dawlish Warren? Would Bowling Green be worth going to? Or is it worth going to Prawle or Start after all?
Please help!

Hi Jyothi

High tide is pretty late (18:30-ish) so Dawlish Warren would need you to stay till late p.m.

I don't believe there's much at Bowling Green at the moment.

Dave

Ppedro said:
It was not all good news however. Met the farmer from Start Farm who said on Wednesday a gate in one of his fields, on private land, had been left open.

A sorry tale Perry, after the "guided tour" you gave us last Monday, I'm sure this jewel of a site will hold some excellent birds in the future - however, thanks to the thoughtless behaviour of a small minority, most of us won't see them. I hope the farmer isn't too much out of pocket.

Regards

Ken

Gavin Haig said:
That's a sorry tale, Ppedro.......

It really doesn't surprise me that there are some localities where news is simply not released, ie, suppression is the norm. Especially when the local birders have gone to some trouble to establish decent relations with landowners etc, only to have that jeapordised by some thoughtless idiot or idiots. What does surprise me is that birders moan about suppression.............

Hello Gavin,
I would never surpress anything which could be seen from public land unless there were exceptional circumstances but I do wonder if it is worth making the effort when its on private land. All you get is hassle and you end up not enjoying your birding. Anyway, enough moaning, hope you get a mega on Beer Head soon.

The Firecrest said:
Advice please.
Please help!

Hello Firecrest,
all the places you mention are obviously better in the early morning for visible migration. Migrant birds however will often spend all day feeding up in a certain place. These and rarities can be found anytime of day, just a question of when someone looks in the right place at the right time. I have not heard either way today on the Start Point YBW'S. For my money I would think they are probably still there. One was showing well yesterday in the willow by the electricity pole with the grey transformer on it in the farm garden. Also the walk down to the lighthouse can be sheltered in south to south-west winds. Good luck wherever you go and remember, its October so all birders should be out on a headland somewhere if they can !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back