• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Veined or Common Darter? (1 Viewer)

Brian Dunning

I'm struggling a bit with this one. As it's in-flight, I can't detect the red veins on the wings or the yellow hind-wing patch but the lower part of the eyes definitely look greyish blue which would make it Red Veined. Taken in the Loire valley, France, yesterday. Any help appreciated!!

The second image is of a female at the same location but I'm much less certain about this. Again, any help on ID would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• RV_Darter_IMG_8075.jpg
    RV_Darter_IMG_8075.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Darter_IMG_8081.jpg
    Darter_IMG_8081.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 90
Hi Brian

The red one is a Common Darter -browny red top half of eye with definitely not blue undersides; no black down side of frons; red pterostigmas rather than yellowish; Common Darter pattern to thorax side; you would also be able to see the yellow wing bases and red veins in such a sharp shot.

Have a look at this page.
http://www.dragonflypix.com/speciespages/sympetrum_fonscolombii.html

I'm not sure about the other one - other than it's not a RVD. The face of RVD is very distinctive - the attached pics are of a young male and a teneral female that had just left the emergence pool

Attachments

• BG_120826_REDDT_im_800x600.jpg
    BG_120826_REDDT_im_800x600.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 69
  • BG_120822_REDDT_tf_600x450.jpg
    BG_120822_REDDT_tf_600x450.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 64
The last time I saw a strange-looking female darter which I couldn't identify at the time, she turned out to be a keeled skimmer. I can't find any images from a similar angle to your photo, but the wings look good for that species - hint of yellow at the front, pale pterostigma, wings held distinctly forwards. Do you have any sort of image of the abdomen?

The last time I saw a strange-looking female darter which I couldn't identify at the time, she turned out to be a keeled skimmer. I can't find any images from a similar angle to your photo, but the wings look good for that species - hint of yellow at the front, pale pterostigma, wings held distinctly forwards. Do you have any sort of image of the abdomen?

A good way to tell Sympetrum from Orthetrum is the number of Ax in the forewing (usually 6 1/2 in sympetrum 8 1/2 or more in Orthetrum - about 11 or 12 in Keeled Skimmer) and that the one closest to the node is a 1/2 in Sympetrum and whole in Orthetrum. You can see that the Ax in the left wing closest to the node is 1/2 and that there aren't very many of them (unfortunately 3 are hidden from view).

The more I look at it the more it looks to me like Vagrant Darter (S. vulgatum) but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Thanks for that. I still find the idea of looking at wing structure a bit intimidating and have never really tried it, but based on your comment I dug out a photo of the keeled skimmer and sure enough the shape and number of cells in that part of the wing is very different. Another step towards trying to get the hang of this ID business!

I would tend to favour Southern Darter for the second photo - but I don't think that it can be identified with any certainty from what we can see.

If there aren't any other photos that might help, I would suggest that the identification should be left at genus level.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back