• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unsure what to do... (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

Hello all,

yesterday evening I found an injured Mourning Dove on my back patio. I have nursed him overnight, but his legs are dragging, he doesn't seem to be able to get more that 3 feet into the air before he crash lands.
He does seem on the small side, but I he is not a fledgling learning to fly. I do not see any wounds on him, but know that a kestrel has been in the area for the last few months.

My question is: do I continue to nurse him, or put him out of his misery. If the latter, which is the best way to end his suffering without further pain?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Here in the UK we have Wildlife hospitals and i am almost certain that they have them in the good old USA, maybe that is the best thing you can do without having to put the bird out of its misery.
I had to do the same thing on Christmas day last year and it spoilt my whole day, went birding and found a injured Collared Dove what had been shot and there was nothing anyone could do so had to do the dastardly deed myself.

HORRIBLE

Damian.

Below is a locator for properly credentialed US wildlife rehabbers.
By entering your data, a facility close by might be shown.
Often, state conservation or Dept. of Natural Resources agencies have contact info available.

Rehab Locator

The "right thing" to do, is to stay within the realm of applicable Arizona state law,
which is assumed to be your location. A web site such as this one, based outside
of the US, has no jurisdiction in this matter, what so ever. You should contact local
authorities.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back