• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

225. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, sitting on a barbed wire fence near Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Embarrassingly, I must rescind the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher from my post of yesterday. Today I went back to the same spot on Muskrat Lake and got a much closer, better look at the bird. It was, in fact, a Western Kingbird. Senior moment, over-anxious for a SSFL, "dust got in my eye" (it was raining), whatever, I just thought I better own up to making a goof. Somewhat of a consolation was the fact that today there were two BLACK-NECKED STILTS at Muskrat Lake (I am sure I did not misidentify them)!

So, my 2011 Missouri Bird List stays at 224.

This evening at dusk I went to the local mall where the floodlights in the parking lot attract insects which in turn attract nighthawks. I saw my target bird, so I'm up to 488 for the year.

488. Common Nighthawk

Dave

Quick 30 minute tree-line skim of the local patch last Thursday yielded:

158. Black-and-white Warbler

And that very night as I watched the Orioles get slaughtered by the Yankees (ended 13-2...), above Camden Yards, hawking for bugs were at least 30+:

159. Common Nighthawk

These four (4) I found at Poosey Conservation Area near Chillicothe, Missouri.

225. Yellow-breasted Chat
226. Kentucky Warbler
227. Alder Flycatcher
228. Black-billed Cuckoo

Embarrassingly, I must rescind the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher from my post of yesterday. Today I went back to the same spot on Muskrat Lake and got a much closer, better look at the bird. It was, in fact, a Western Kingbird. Senior moment, over-anxious for a SSFL, "dusk got in my eye" (it was raining), whatever, I just thought I better own up to making a goof. Somewhat of a consolation was the fact that today there were two BLACK-NECKED STILTS at Muskrat Lake (I am sure I did not misidentify them)!

So, my 2011 Missouri Bird List stays at 224.

I had a similar experience lately when I (with several better birders) thought a bird I photographed was a Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Turned out to be a Loggerhead Shrike, just seen from an odd angle.

Jeff

229. Snowy Egret, at Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri.
230. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, at Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Entering the summer doldrums here in southeast Texas. This weekend we're off to High Island to see the wading birds rookery and to Anahuac NWR for rails and Least Bitterns. Doubt I'll see any new birds, though. In fact, I doubt I'll add more than a couple of new Texas birds until the fall.

In early June we'll have a few days in Phoenix, where I should fit in a couple of half-days of birding and add a few desert birds. It'll be my first chance this year to see some USA birds outside of Texas. Pity it's summer, though, as earlier in the year would obviously have been more productive!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

160. White-eyed Vireo
161. Gray-cheeked Thrush
162. Cedar Waxwing
163. Red-eyed Vireo
164. Acadian Flycatcher (lifer, "officially". Though I've seen and heard them so many times, I found it wasn't listed on my master list)
165. Purple Finch
166. Great Crested Flycatcher
167. Yellow-throated Vireo

Haven't updated this for a while but just had ten days in East Anglia and also had a weekend in Durham and Teesside

123) Swallow
124) Sedge warbler
125) Whitethroat
126) Willow warbler
127) Yellow wagtail
128) Wheatear
129) Garganey
130) Blackcap
131) Common sandpiper
132) Red grouse
133) Sand martin
134) House martin
135) Grasshopper warbler
136) Swift
137) Cuckoo
138) Grey partridge
139) Spoonbill
140) Quail (heard only)
141) Red-legged partridge
142) Little-ringed plover
143) Reed warbler
144) Common tern
145) Little tern
146) Kittiwake
147) Corn bunting
148) Lesser Whitethroat
149) Fulmar
150) Little owl
151) Turtle dove
152) Kingfisher
153) Bewick's swan
154) Stone curlew
155) Marsh tit
156) Wood sandpiper
157) Hobby
158) Little stint
159) Bearded tit
160) Woodlark
161) Tree pipit
162) Nightjar
163) Golden oriole (heard only)
164) Red kite
165) Sandwich tern
166) Little gull
167) Garden warbler
168) Nightingale (heard only)
169) Dartford warbler
170) Roseate tern
171) PURPLE HERON (lifer)
172) White-winged black tern

Just got back from a roadtrip to the Delaware Shore, visiting Prime Hook NWR and Bombay Hook NWR. I had this trip planned for several weeks, and as luck would have it, a Little Egret showed up at Prime Hook a week or so before I left. In addition, a couple of Curlew Sandpipers have been at Heisler Wildlife Area across the bay in New Jersey, so I went there to look for them as well.

490. Black Skimmer
491. Least Tern
492. Ruddy Turnstone
493. Semipalmated Sandpiper
494. Dunlin
495. Red Knot
496. Clapper Rail
497. Seaside Sparrow
498. Little Egret
499. Western Sandpiper
500. Curlew Sandpiper

The Little Egret and Curlew Sandpiper were ABA Area lifers (numbers 634 and 635, respectively).

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Snowy Egret, Glossy Ibis, Sanderling, and Laughing Gull to my ABA Area year list, which is at 246.

Dave

Last edited:
On the weekend High Island produced:
254. Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

Bolivar-Galveston Ferry:
255. Magnificent Frigatebird.

This morning's drive to work across the Katy Prairie had several:
256. Cassin's Sparrow (lifer) and
257. Cave Swallow.

Jeff

Last edited:
I seem to have ground to a halt since the start of June. Not surprising, though, as we're in a brutal heatwave. It was 105 on Sunday and again yesterday, both days beating the same-date records by 7 degrees and setting records for the hottest June day ever in Texas.

On Thursday we'll be exchanging the heat of Houston for the heat of Phoenix. I normally see a lot of different birds on our trips there but in the past we've always visited in the winter. It'll be interesting to see what birds are around in June.

Jeff

We are currently visiting relatives in Indiana (no birding). I will be doing some grassland bird surveys in southern Missouri when we get back home to Missouri. Perhaps I will be able to pick up a few species at that time.

Embarrassingly small compared to most people here, but I'm glad to have got up to 60+ birds. :D I'm planning on going on one of the Audubon Society's eco-cruises in the next couple of weeks, so I'm hoping to add a lot more of the birds I don't typically see.

Very slow around here lately. It's been more than two weeks since I've seen a new year bird in Indiana. Therefore, I traveled to southwest Indiana to the state's only breeding colony of Least Terns. I saw my target, which was number 222 for my Indiana year list. However, it was not a true year bird, since I saw Least Terns in Delaware almost two weeks ago.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back