• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro EL 8.5x42 blackout (1 Viewer)

iebirdie

I tried out a Swaro 8.5x42 with eyecups set at "out" position which is normal for someone like me who does not wear glasses. I kept getting flashes of partial blackout in the left eyecup particularly when panning.... Hmmmm. Anyone else experienced this ? Maybe Leica 8x32 will be better for me.
thanks
= Niall

This is absolutely commom with any optic that has long eye relief. It is a tradeoff. With scopes or binos with short eye relief you put them to your face and look - no problem. But I've found things like condensation in cold weather to be less bothersome with long eye relief, so put up with the backing out. Fiddle for a whaile with interocular distance, and the problem will be minimized.

Thanks for that Art.
Since posting my original message I nipped down to my local camera shop, and I was able to mimic the same effect when panning on the Leica 8x42 and even to a less extent on the Leica 8x32.
Can't argue with the Swaro 8.5x42 optically though, so I might accept this trade off and find an ocular position that suits when in use. Still tending towards a Swaro purchase....
Niall

Niall.
Sorry for stating the obvious, but have you set the binoculars up correctly? The interpupilliary distance should be correctly set for your eyes, and you should be looking horizontally through the bins (this will also eliminate a certain amount of colour fringing).
The eye cups should be in the up position if you are not wearing spectacles.
Top end bins are manufactured with sufficient eye relief in order that spectacle and non spectacle wearers can receive a full field of view.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back