• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leave Them Alone! (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
It amazes me that, despite the fact that nearly every birder says "If you find a young bird seemingly alone, just leave it", the amount of people who raise "abandoned" birds is quite large.

Here's a story: Last month myself and a friend were walking around and, at the base of a tree, we saw a young Magpie. The youngster was squawking at us, but made no attempt to run off (I think it wanted food). My friend and I were unsure what to do-we had no idea how long it was there, and it was beside a main road. It looked like it was abandoned, and there was no Magpie adults nearby. We eventually left it alone, and I said i would go to the same spot next morning.

For the next two days I checked and found nothing. On the third day I found the youngster again. He was much more wary, and was beginning to fly. More importantly, there were adult Magpies in the trees and around the area generally, so it was not abandoned after all, and was actually able to look after itself.

I found out later that, when fledging, some birds remain flightless for about two days while they get thier flight feathers. During this time, they mostly sit around, begging for food, while their parents either encourage them to fly, by not feeding them, or else they leave them so the youngsters can forage about for themselves.

I am so glad I didn't take it home!

Very good issue rasied here Mabel.

Nature has been around a lot longer than we have and sometimes, unintentionally, we do more harm than good when we intervene.

KCFoggin said:
Very good issue rasied here Mabel.

Nature has been around a lot longer than we have and sometimes, unintentionally, we do more harm than good when we intervene.

Aye even though it is the perfect intention to bring them in. Its better to let nature raise them. As they would be more tame towards humans. Which can be a good or bad thing depending on rhe kind of human its tamed to.

Thanks so much for sharing that, Mabel. I know it must sound "heartless" or "cruel" to advise leaving such a young bird seemingly on its own, but most birders simply don't know much about birds' natural history and, as KC said, usually unintentionally do more harm than good when "rescuing" juvenile birds. I wish more birders were as patient and as watchful as you obviously were. Kudos!!! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back