• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 Angled for $400 (1 Viewer)

Tazzilla, are you sure selling this is a good idea? Speaking from sad experience, I'm not sure it's a great idea to sell an ED50 (I've done it a number of times, regretted it, and re-bought, so my current model is a keeper). I don't know the Alpen Rainer, but I wonder if anything produced by Alpen can outclass the ED50. Consider a lower-power fixed-mag ep for the ED50, and you may be surprised at the wide, bright and sharp image. Give it a few weeks and compare the two in various lights, and also consider that you may one day want to travel with a scope. Just a thought.

Sancho:
I agree with you here, and the good advice for Tazz. The ED50 is a very good small scope,
and I say wow, "almost" every time I use mine. I have some other larger 60 and 82 mm
quality scopes, but the ED50 is the one I use when on the go.
I would have some patience, I have found in my experience, with any new optics purchase,
you need at least a week or 2 to become familiar, and need to use them in different conditions to fully evaluate.

Jerry

"I have to say the optics on my Alpen Rainer are much better than the ED50 that being the case I am having second thoughts about keeping the Nikon ED50."

This is not really fair, the 80 should be much better than the 50, if not then there is something very wrong with the 80. 2.3+ arc seconds for the 50 compared to 1.44 +arc sec [115 divided by 80]for the 80 with 1.81 being a lemon, at least what Henry L on here says and I agree with him. The 80 is in a different league. 60mm= 1.91, 70mm=1.64, 90= 1.27 etc. etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise guys. It is a great little scope but Alpen makes a great high end optic. The rainer is 100% japan optics and the quality is outstanding. The problem is Alpen is so small that they have very poor marketing and there product is hard to find in the retailers. Most carry the big names and sad to say Alpen is being left behind in that aspect. If anyone is here in the Boise Area I would love to let you use the Alpen scope just to see how good it really is.

The ED50 is fine optics just not enough power to suit my likes. It is very clear I compare my scopes by viewing a cable box across the street. On the box there is a date code that is about the size of normal print. I could make it out with the Ed50 but it was a real challange. I tried A Leupold Vantana 15-45x60 and that was just so so. I had the nikon 16-48x65 scope and it would not focus clear at all. Was a bad scope. The Alpen Rainer brings the print to life even going through my window glass which is not the best way to view through a scope

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back