• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camo taped ED50 (1 Viewer)

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
First, this was not an attempt to conceal my scope. It is just this camo-colored gauze form tape from McNett seemed like the best material for the job.​

I sometimes have to use the ED50 handheld like a spyglass when I can't find a suitable surface to attach the Gorillapod tripod. I had modified the OEM gray carry case to a "stay-on" type by cutting out the objective plug but the case's loose fit made it uncomfortable to hold the scope. With Summer hiking season in the Japan Alps approaching, I also wanted to have some protection for the scope as these trails can be hazards for optics.​

Anyway, I applied ~3mm thick "protection layer" of this form fitting tape over the scope. The tape only sticks to itself, is removable, washable, and keeps its stickiness while not leaving any sticky residue on the scope. So no harm if you don't like it or need to rewrap.​

The tape makes for a nice "rubberized" feel, making the scope easy to grip and the Nikon camera strap doesn't slip off either. Time will tell how well it holds up. But no case is needed now.​

Also I feel it might be a good idea to get a small hood to thread onto the objective to cut glare and provide added protection for the lens. Also need to punch a small hole in the rubber eyepiece cap so I can attach a nylon safety string to keep the cap from being lost.​

Hope this give others ideas,
Rick​

Attachments

• IMG_3226 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_3226 (800x600).jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_3228 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_3228 (800x600).jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3229 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_3229 (800x600).jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
good idea !! , i fitted a camera lens rubber hood [ folds back over the body when not in use ] plus a marumi digi clear filter and a screw in wrist strap to mine for added protection / safety . :t:

Hi Rick, That is a great idea. I never heard of Mcnett Camo Form. That tape you have looks like the Mossy Oak New Break.:t:
Regards,Steve

Excellent idea m8 ! just dont drop it coz you might not find it again :-O.... as we both know how small they are :t:

Looks great though :t:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think it turned out OK myself. The pattern is Mossy Oak Shadow Grass. I still have half the roll left over so now I am looking for things to wrap. Maybe my Nikon EII binocular!

cheers,
Rick

I found it in a birding goods shop here in Tokyo for ~$30, maybe 3x MORE than the USA price. Google "mcnett camo form wrap" and you might find some online shop that will ship to you.

good luck,
Rick

I bought a similar kind of tape that the archery guys use on their bows in the states,very pleased with it ,bought it on ebay quite cheaply

Attachments

• scope in car.jpg
    scope in car.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 199
Mods completed

I've now attached an aluminum metal 55mm hood and safety line to the lens cap. The lens is now recessed by ~33mm for good protection so no longer need the lens cap while hopefully reducing some glare that I've experienced when the sun was low. I found the safety line next to the lens hoods at the camera store. It attaches with some sponge tape so I didn't have to punch a hole in the cap or buy the nylon line I wanted. ~$10 total.

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 139
The hood is threaded to screw on the scope's 55mm thread. Also got a shipping notice for the camo tape I bought off ebay.

Rick

More fun with tape

Turns out the cushioned rubber objective "plug" I had previously cut out of the neoprene sock case that comes with the ED50 fits the new hood perfectly. Figured it would be good to keep the dust out when the scope is in storage. Glued the camo tape on and attached a pull ring made from a zip tie. Voila!

Attachments

• IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 140
Hi Rick, I ordered the camo "tape" off this same fellow last night, down to 2 left. I didn't order any of the other stuff they sale.:)
Regards,Steve

I've now attached an aluminum metal 55mm hood and safety line to the lens cap. The lens is now recessed by ~33mm for good protection so no longer need the lens cap while hopefully reducing some glare that I've experienced when the sun was low. I found the safety line next to the lens hoods at the camera store. It attaches with some sponge tape so I didn't have to punch a hole in the cap or buy the nylon line I wanted. ~$10 total.

cheers,
Rick
Hi RJM, where did you get that screw-in 55mm hood for the ED50? Superb addition, almost as good as your camo-tape!

Hi RJM
Wonderful work, getting your ED50 field ready. You've inspired me to do something similar, making the Nikon case into a stay-on by selective surgery. It works, but the result is nowhere as professional looking as your effort.
One concern I have is that the hood may put more stress on the body of the scope than it will handle, as things get bumped around a bit in the field. Do you have any thoughts whether this is a valid issue?
There are 55mm rubber lens hoods readily available from B&H here in NYC as an alternative, would that be a better choice?

Sancho, et al. ,

The hood thread size is indeed 55mm but you'll find there are wide, normal, and tele compatible types in collapsible rubber. The hood that is best for telephoto lenses will be best as it will be deeper, shading the objective a bit better. The one I show here was all I could find locally at the time I looked and is for a roughly normal lens.

Look for one with front threads, as this one has, so when the hood is collapsed the lens cap can be attached. When the hood is attached, even collapsed, it will not fit in the neoprene Nikon sock (case).

Attachments

• ED50 Hood.jpg
    ED50 Hood.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 99
  • ED50 Hood 2.jpg
    ED50 Hood 2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I wanted the metal hood to also protect the lens when hiking. When screwed in, it seems to be "one" with the scope. Rubber could work if it were stiff enough. My shop only had metal or the collapsing rubber types though and prefer the more streamlined aluminum.

cheers,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back