• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backpack for carrying Camera with 1.4X TC and 400mm f5.6L attached (1 Viewer)

Jamie D

Hi,

I am looking for a backpack to carry the above (should read 400mm f5.6L) with room for a few extension tubes etc. I would like a Slingshot type backpack but they all look a little small as the total length of the above is about 36cm. Does anyone have any suggestions? The reason to put it on my back is I carry a tripod and scope over the shoulder.

Thanks

Last edited:
hi, i havnt seen any sling types with that length either, If you have got other lenses and things to carry, take a look at the lowepro vertex 200, if you shop around you can get it for about £100 on lowepro online, i have been looking at this for a while, it is really well made, superb cushioned waist straps as well, I know its a lot bulkier than than slings but, i thought it might be well worth a look, http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex-200-AW,2073,16.htm
Hope this is of some help, Michael B :)

Have a look at the Tamrac Tamrac VELOCITY 10X. Lots of space inside and very comfortable to wear and it does hold a fair amount of equipment as well. I have a 40d with a Sigma lens with plenty of space left. Think I paid under £55 with p&p from Somerset Cameras

Regards

Di

I agree...the Tamrac 10x is a good fit...I have one and enjoy it much.

Another one to look at is the KATA Sling 30 or 20 and Tamrac Aero Speedpack....
Both of those have a 'top bunk' too for additional items above and beyond the camera. They can be top or side loaded and hold quite a bit. I am thinking of getting one of those when I travel so I can not just hold my gear but also other things such as snacks on a plane or a magazine etc... Just a thought.

I switched to Kata R-103 a while back and I am very happy with it. Despite the fact that it is somewhat larger and heavier compared to some of the "sling" type backpacks, it is extremely comfortable and sturdy.

I agree...the Tamrac 10x is a good fit...I have one and enjoy it much.
Hi Imans, when you say a good fit are you saying it is a good fit with the 400/5.6 + tc attached as the OP wanted? I only ask because you do not appear to have this lens according to your signature.

thanks for the info so far. I have checked out the Tamrac and LowePro and the measurements given on the web all indicate that they are a few cm's to small internally to fit my combination in. I would therefore be interested in knowing if anyone has tried them with the above combination (or above without TC) and they definately fit as I do not have any stockists near me so will need to mail order.

I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW and the 400/5.6 + 1.4 tc on a 40D will fit (just!). There is plenty of room left on the sides for other lenses and odds and ends but as I say, the combo only just fits on the length. With out the tc, the Mini Trekker AW is perfect for the 400/5.6 and Camera.

Snap Roy, I have the Mini trekker as well, its OK for the camera 50d with battery pack attached and tc + 400mm, I also keep my 450d and two other lenses,
blower and lots of other bits, when I take out the camera and lens i can put my lunch and drink in as well as having drinks on the outside in bags, mine is
green which I like better than blue/black, and they are cheaper I paid about £56 they are now £49 + postage hurry they wont be there long
here is the link on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-LOW...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Hi Imans, when you say a good fit are you saying it is a good fit with the 400/5.6 + tc attached as the OP wanted? I only ask because you do not appear to have this lens according to your signature.

Good Point Roy....I forgot that the 40D is a bigger camera itself than the 450 I have... But I do have a 300/4.0 + TC and it fits...Tight but fits. If I am taking it on a hike, this combo will due since I don't carry a lot else. If I am traveling, no....I wouldn't like this combo intact in that case since there is little room for others. I would opt for the Kata or the Tamrac Areo ...one of the larger more backback types. Thanks for pointing that out.....

I will be with a son of our friends in a week or so who does have that combo and I will give it a try (His 40 D with my lens and tele)...I will see how his camera fits within this.

Good Point Roy....I forgot that the 40D is a bigger camera itself than the 450 I have... But I do have a 300/4.0 + TC and it fits...Tight but fits..
I was thinking more about the lens than the camera, the 400/5.6 is longer than the 300/4 so if the 300 is tight then the 400/5.6 + tc will not fit your pack. The OP was asking about the 400/5.6 + tc.

I was thinking more about the lens than the camera, the 400/5.6 is longer than the 300/4 so if the 300 is tight then the 400/5.6 + tc will not fit your pack. The OP was asking about the 400/5.6 + tc.

Right...the 400 is 35(mm) more or about 1 /1/2 inches....and that would make a difference...

Let me tell you without fear of contradiction that a 50d with bulky battery pack fitted + 400mm f5.6 lens and a kenko
1.4 teleconverter attached with the lens hood down will fit nicely and snugly in the Lowpro Mini Trekker. These bags do
have a bit of flexible movement, and theres loads of room for another camera, 2 lenses, spacers, bean bag, blower, angle finder,
remote switch, then you have all the pockets for battery's, books, memory cards, leads etc etc. There is also a place on the
back to fit a tripod into a pocket and the straps to secure it.

Let me tell you without fear of contradiction that a 50d with bulky battery pack fitted + 400mm f5.6 lens and a kenko
1.4 teleconverter attached with the lens hood down will fit nicely and snugly in the Lowpro Mini Trekker. These bags do
have a bit of flexible movement, and theres loads of room for another camera, 2 lenses, spacers, bean bag, blower, angle finder,
remote switch, then you have all the pockets for battery's, books, memory cards, leads etc etc. There is also a place on the
back to fit a tripod into a pocket and the straps to secure it.
Terry , Inmans was talking about a different lens which was why I questioned how he could state 'the Tamrac 10x is a good fit' when he did not even have a 400/5.6. It has already been established that the 400/5.6 plus tc will fit in a Lowpro mini trekker.

Sorry Roy got me knickers in a twist again, anyway it was worth reiterating the fact that it fits well with plenty of room for other lenses and you can't beat £49

arrived today, only ordered at noon yesterday, quality service.

Anyway just popped my gear in and it fits great

Canon 40D, 100-400L sense with Hood attached
2 Spare lenses at the side, Beanbag, cleaning stuff, filters with still more room for bit and bobs
(getting carried away here and sounding like I know a bit about photography LOL)

Bonus of a pocket big enough for Binoculars (Bl**dy Large ones at that) as well

Quality buy this one

Thanks for all the help everyone, I am well pleased

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back