• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 Angled for $400 (1 Viewer)

tazzilla

I am trying to buy a used but never opened Nikon ED50 with the 13-30 zoom for $400 still in box but never used. Is this a deal I should jump on? Thanks so Much Taz

what is it worth?

Opticsplanet's price is $829.95...
Buy it to use it because it's an amazing performer. The zoom is optically fine but suffers from a narrow FOV. That price would be cheap for the body
only so if you want to replace the zoom you still have made a bargain.

Last edited:
Taz
Generally $400 or so is the price of the scope body only without an eyepiece, with the scope and 13-30x zoom selling for around $629. Some have sold the body with the cheap #7640 (13x) eyepiece for around $400. If it truly is the angled body with the 13-30x zoom, then that is an EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD buy. But I would double check and make sure that it really does come with the zoom eyepiece, and that the seller did not just copy some advertising literature.

Tom

Last edited:
Taz
Generally $400 or so is the price of the scope body only without an eyepiece, with the scope and 13-30x zoom selling for around $629. Some have sold the body with the cheap #7640 (13x) eyepiece for around $400. If it truly is the angled body with the 13-30x zoom, then that is an EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD buy. But I would double check and make sure that it really does come with the zoom eyepiece, and that the seller did not just copy some advertising literature.

Tom

Are you talking about used prices? I haven't seen those prices for new in several years. --AP

Well just bought it $412 shipped to my door still in box unopened with the 13-30 eyepiece and it is angled. It looks like it will be a fun scope. :)

Well just bought it $412 shipped to my door still in box unopened with the 13-30 eyepiece and it is angled. It looks like it will be a fun scope. :)

No doubt. It is an awesome scope now, and it will be for the foreseeable future!

A bit of advice--have a look at the metal threads of the tripod socket. If they are a metal helicoil in the plastic foot, as was the original design, be gentle and don't be surprised if like me, you end up having to make use of Nikon's excellent warranty. If they are threads in a solid metal insert in the plastic foot, you're lucky and got a more recently manufactured unit that should prove to be more robust than the original design. Here's more on this:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=204506

Second piece of advice. Start looking for a fixed 20x or (my favorite) 27x eyepiece for your scope. They've become very scarce in the USA, but if you keep an eye out, you'll probably find one eventually, and with luck at a reasonable price. They offer much better field of view, eye relief, and simplicity of use in comparison to the 13-30x or 13-40x zooms.

--AP

Your timing is horrible. ;)

Another forum member snagged my 16x DS eyepiece and is in line for the 40x if I decide to sell it.

Sorry. ;)

What Frank you rubbing it :) That is the story of my life day late or a dollar short. I think I did well on the Purchase of the ED50 so that is a plus I am broke after spending a tad over $1200 in scopes and $500 on Cameras this year wife is starting to give me that look :) and I am dropping some cash on my 68 Mustang so It might be a good thing you don't have them for sale :)

Ha! Things change. The possible deal on the 40/60/75x eyepiece didn't go through. It may be available shortly.

;)

I saw a 16X DS for sale in Astromart last eve..150$ Shipped OBO....

I was feeling guilty ..because I am the one that snagged Frank´s 16X!!

Just got the ED50 Today so cool optics are great size is smaller than I thought. I am very pleased with it very nice package. I have to say the optics on my Alpen Rainer are much better than the ED50 that being the case I am having second thoughts about keeping the Nikon ED50. I do like the compact size but I don't have to hike long distance to bird where I am located. My wife is shaking her head at me because I am so dam incisive. As they way things look I am going to pass it on to someone else and just keep my Rainer Scope. Taz.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back