• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Still at least 2 GN Divers at Carsington. A Red Kite flew over the Dam Wall and behind Sailing Club. Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Curlew, 2 Greylag Geese, c30 Barnacles including the colour ringed bird (ADZ), Wheatear on the Dam. Numerous Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail, Linnet, Skylark. Lots of Chiffs and Blackcaps in song and several Willow Warblers.

Anyone have info on the Hoopoe reported at Chatsworth this AM? 1/3mile NE of house at 11.30am is all the info on the pager.....

There was a Red Kite on Sunday within 15mins of an Osprey! A lingering bird???

ATB

Steph'

Anyone have info on the Hoopoe reported at Chatsworth this AM? 1/3mile NE of house at 11.30am is all the info on the pager.....

There was a Red Kite on Sunday within 15mins of an Osprey! A lingering bird???

ATB

Steph'

Hi Stef - I asked around yesterday and details are hard to come by. Marks gone up this morning and some others that cover the moors had nothing new to add to pager messages.

The original message was "At Chatsworth Park a Hoopoe c800 metres NE of Chatsworth House this morning but mobile"

I tell you what tho, if it gets in the gadrens there its great habitat in some areas with the big rockeries, ponds and variety of plants - some of it looks very Mediterranean indeed! as does the weather this weekend for once.....

A Red Kite has been in that area for weeks now - we had one near a raptor watch point not far away a few weeks ago, and I know ones been patrolling Beeley area too.

We had a Red Kite just before 10.00 at Carsington on Wednesday and there was also one at Wyver Lane at around 12.15 on the same day.

Quite a lot of activity along the Erewash Valley this week:

Monday saw a male Redstart on Bennerley Processing Yard and on Wednesday a Cuckoo was reported calling in the vicinity of the Viaduct and a Red Kite was reported over Ikea roundabout the same day.

Thursday a Marsh Harrier made two visits to Big Marsh at Erewash Meadows in late morning.

Yesterday a Wheatear stayed briefly on Bennerley Marsh, it wasn't there this morning when I checked but there was a Redshank.

Swallows have been regularly reported since late last week, and House Martins have been on and off. Sand Martins are increasing in number and frequency all the time. First sightings of Blackcaps and Willow Warbler also last weekend.

A Red Kite has been in that area for weeks now - we had one near a raptor watch point not far away a few weeks ago, and I know ones been patrolling Beeley area too.[/QUOTE]

i think its eaten the hoopoe!

Had a day at carsington water yesterday ,chiff chaffs seemed to be everywhere a few willow warblers ,we saw 1 of the great northern divers off the dam wall and a wheatear on the fence at the other side of the dam road ,then it was on to the wildlife centre 3 little ringed plovers on horseshoe island The walk up to sheepwash produced quite a few pairs of blackcaps ,there was 2 male a 1 female bullfinch on the feeder there from sheepwash there was a male shovler and a pair of wigeon most of the winter ducks have gone lots of different butterflies about including this fine brimstone near the paul stanley hide

Attachments

• brimstone.JPG
    brimstone.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 28
Still 3 G.N.Divers at Carsi yesterday. c30 Barnacle Geese including the colour ringed bird. 4 Greylag Geese, a female Wheatear on the Dam Wall and then a male a little later on. 3 Little Ringed Plover all from Stones Is, a Dunlin over, Curlew, Snipe, numerous Redshank and Oystercatchers.

The walk from Millfields to Sheepwash produced 19 Blackcap and 13 Willow Warblers. There were at least 15 Linnets on Horseshoe Island.

From Sheepwash hide there was at least 65 Swallows, 30 Sandmartins, Mallard with 13 ducklings, male Peregrine, female Sparrowhawk, 5 Buzzards, Kestrel and 2 Raven.

Still 3 GN Divers at Carsi today. Over 100 Swallows and 50+ Sandmartins. Then later on Stones Island there were 6 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Yellow Wagtails and a White Wagtail. Roger found a male Redstart on Shiningford Creek.

Went up on the moors where Wheatear seemed to be everywhere. We had 12 in fields near Harewood Moor, also a male Stonechat. 5 more Wheatear on East Moor and then another couple towards Slatepit Lane.

There were over 140 Goldies in a field near East Moor and we had c70 Meadow Pipit including one flock of around 50 birds.

. Roger found a male Redstart on Shiningford Creek.

That male Redstart's been there at least 2 days. Saw it Monday or Tuesday (need to check notes!). Made my day that did, looked so good in the white Blackthorn flowers LOL..... mind you the very next airborne thing I saw also was one of my favorite things, a Longbow Apache very very low over the fields, you could see the pilot looking at us:eek!: (I have always been fascinated by helicopters to clear up any doubts:-O:-O!)

Its interesting to see how birds do return to the same areas, I don't keep up on breeding areas but Redstart always used to breed up in that area (as well as WLC Creek) but I don't know if they have in the last few years?

ATB

Steph'

That male Redstart's been there at least 2 days. Saw it Monday or Tuesday (need to check notes!). Made my day that did, looked so good in the white Blackthorn flowers LOL..... mind you the very next airborne thing I saw also was one of my favorite things, a Longbow Apache very very low over the fields, you could see the pilot looking at us:eek!: (I have always been fascinated by helicopters to clear up any doubts:-O:-O!)

Its interesting to see how birds do return to the same areas, I don't keep up on breeding areas but Redstart always used to breed up in that area (as well as WLC Creek) but I don't know if they have in the last few years?

ATB

Steph'

At risk of stealing Daves thunder he has two male Redstarts at Wyver Lane DWT as we type!

Alderwasley Park was a good spot for this species last spring too.

I recall the Carsi birds using a nest box in full view one year Steph?

At risk of stealing Daves thunder he has two male Redstarts at Wyver Lane DWT as we type!

Cheers, Dan ;) Cracking site tick. I'd just come back from down the lane where there was a Common Whitethroat and several Blackcaps. I got near the mound when I heard a bird calling. Because I had heard Willow Warbler singing in the field I put it down to that.

The more I heard it call the more I thought to myself that it was actually a Redstart. Eventually it started to sing and show quite well, even coming down near the mound briefly. After a while Clive came down and we were pretty sure that there were in fact 2 birds. Clive went up on his bike and confirmed that there were indeed 2 males.

We also had a possible Osprey but it was too high and distant to call 100% although it looked good. I tried to find it in the scope but to no avail.

The first young of the year was noted with a Mallard and 10 young. Other things of note today were 4 Shoveler, 4 Tufted Ducks, pr of Mandarin, pr of Gadwall, 3 Oystercatchers, 11 Lapwings, Snipe, Linnet and a Meadow Pipit over.

Old friends returning to the Dark Peak this week.

Pied Flycatcher(M) - Kinder Bank Wood (near Water Works road to Kinder Reservoir)
Redstart(M) - White Brow

3 Wheatear (1M)- Crowden in Longdendale beyond Brockholes Wood

Lots of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs in these woods plus Blackcaps &

Pied Flycatcher (M) - Shire Hill Wood Glossop

They regularly used to use the nest boxes in wildlife centre creek (the first bend from the WLC) till a few years ago, splitting the usage between the boxes and an old tree further back.... sadly since the extensive work there I haven't heard of them breeding, plus the old tree fell down I think, maybe they moved further back up the gully? The area is now a lot more open than it was. The other gully, the second bend, Shiningford creek used to hold them as I said but not actually inside the fence but usually up the field edges etc and woody bits at the back......

Cracking record for Wyver Dave, I think I've only seen a couple down there in autumn! Its the one bird I'd really like to add to the garden list, having had Wood Warbler and Pied Flycatcher in the garden (and Black Red many many years ago, over the road on the house's opposite!).

First singing Chiffy in the garden for this year earlier in the week and today a singing Goldcrest is back. Sadly my orange friends the Bramblings have packed up their cases and headed north with the last female departing on the 9th April.

ATB

Steph'

Both Redstarts down Wyver Lane again today. Best thing to do is to go through the gate to Wyver farm and go up the public footpath and then on through the second gate. Once through the second gate check out the area to the left and the small bit of woodland a little further on.

I had a Brambling briefly calling by the hide this afternoon and Dan who is at Wyver as I type has had a female Brambling coming down to drink from the small stream that runs down the field. Dan has also had one of the Redstarts and will no doubt post a little later.

Started the day at Wyver Lane today where there was just the usual on the pools so went looking for the Redstarts. We could hear a male singing but seeing it was another matter. After a while we saw the male and shortly after we noticed that there was also a female there. Then a little further left we found the other male. We then spotted a male Brambling in the top of a tree which was then joined by a female.

We then got wind of a pair of Garganey down on the Canal Scrape at Willington so off we went. Got my first Sedge Warbler of the year whilst walking round and then as we arrived we were pointed out a Cuckoo which I managed to digi-scope. The Garganey were playing hard to get and we had to move up onto the bridge to view them which eventually showed well moving into the middle of the water. There were also 4 LRP's, 6 Redshank, 2 Yellow Wags and a poss White Wag.

On the way to the DWT reserve I heard a brief explosion of sound which was probably a Cetti's Warbler. Got to platform 4 where we had another couple of year ticks in Reed Warbler and 2 Common Tern. Also seen was 2 Curlew, 2 Shelduck plus a dodgy looking hybrid which was possibly a Shelduck/Ruddy Shelduck cross, Several Oycs, still plenty of Gadwall, Shoveler, lots of Sand Martins and Warblers.

Some shots of the Cuckoo.

Attachments

• SNV35682.jpg
    SNV35682.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 66
  • SNV35683.jpg
    SNV35683.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 64
  • SNV35685.jpg
    SNV35685.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 74
Had one of those "right place right time" moments this afternoon as coming back from a trip out with the kids I managed to find Ogston on our route home (Mrs M never fails to be perplexed how often Ogston is directly on the way home from wherever we have been!).

Anyway, I know Osprey had been seen again over the weekend and on arrival saw Steve who said that he thought it was still around but he hadnt seen it and it hadnt fished yet today. Apparently it took a huge fish yesterday and devoured it on a telegraph pole near Brackenfield!
As we scanned we picked up a Peregrine circling lazily over the Res and then Steve said he had to go. As I showed the Peregrine to the boys I saw the Osprey coming in over the Napoleon and so rang Steve to alert him. Tony was just on his way back from the hide and so we stood and watched it for a good 20 minutes as it perfomed beautifully off the car park making several unsuccesful attempts to fish. It has two primary feathers missing and so was identifiable as the bird that arrived friday evening from the south and roosted (knackered on a rock) until saturday.
It had grief from corvids, Lapwing and a Buzzard which didnt help but still great to see so close.

I also saw Wheatear, LRP, Curlew, Oycs, several cracking White Wags with Pied and Yellows, Blackcap. Definitely half an hour well spent!

Glad to hear Dave has added female Redstart to the males at Wyver and, as both he and Clive have said, hope they stay in the area as it looks ideal. Brambling down there have been an unusually late bonus, but my garden birds have only been gone a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back