• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

To continue my Hardwick lunchtime list... 2 Raven over today, only briefly until they'd taken enough grief from the Jackdaws. We don't get many this far east.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes
April 2009

A fairly quiet month but Warblers return and the first Hobby of the year
also makes a brief appearance.

Very little Wildfowl to report as ever at this time of year as birds leave
for their breeding grounds. Maximum counts include 18 Teal on 6th,
6 Tufted Ducks on 29th, drake Gadwall on 28th, a pair of Mandarin
on 20th, the last report of Wigeon was of a single bird on 6th,
a brood of 8 Mallard young on 24th although three had been lost by
the following day, drake Goosander on 28th.

The first Hobby of the year was of a single bird on the 24th,
a Peregrine flew through on 4th, 2 Buzzards were in the air
on 24th and 29th with singles on many dates, a male
Sparrowhawk with prey on 28th.

c40 Swallows flew through on the 4th, 12 House Martins on 28th,
3 Sand Martins on 6th and 28th.

2 Blackcaps and 2 Whitethroats on 28th, the first Sedge Warbler
was seen on the 20th with at least 3 birds in song on the 29th,
2 Chiff Chaffs also on 29th.

3 Oystercatchers on 4th and a pair seen most days through the
month. A Curlew on 20th, a Common Sandpiper on 17th 3
Lapwings on 28th, a single Snipe on 29th. A Raven on 4th,
a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming on 20th, 2 Pied
Wagtails on 20th, 4 Grey Herons on 25th, 6+ Reed Buntings
on 28th, 3 Cormorants on 29th, 2 Stock Doves on 28th,
The first Kingfisher of the year was seen on 28th, 4 Pheasants
on 6th.

Just a quick note to say the GN Diver was still at Carsi this pm, and is well worth a look being in full summer plumage.... took some finding then materialized off Lane Ends, unfortunately to distant for photo's. Good numbers of hirundines and Swift around too. Lesser Whitethroat singing near Sheepwash. ABB had seen a couple of Common Terns too....

Cheers

Steph'

Presuming they're still in the same area then this is the info I have.
Still singing; take the footpath along the River Derwent from Raynesway and view across the river near the old bridge to British Celanese.

Hi Daniel, any directions roughly to hear (or perhaps) see these birds?
Tony

Follow Dave's directions and the birds are on the opposite bank, opposite the far end of the last of new ponds on the path side of the river, when you get there we found a while back, that one bird was showing every so often at the top of the vegetation near a bare set of branches as the large trees start at the spot where the river splits off, above a small area of grass.... should make sense when you see it LOL. The bird's work circuits so a little wait may be required!

Cheers

Steph'

Hi Tony
If you drive down Raynesway to the new roundabout at the bottom, then take the exit to the rcycling centre and park anywhere there, you can follow the path back to view.
Then Stephs notes above are useful. Even though windy, they do show themselves eventually, cheers Dan.

Wyver Lane this afternoon - lots of Swifts high up, with Swallows and Martins. 5 Buzzards together riding the thermals, pair Oystercatchers, pair Gadwall, Sedge, Whitethroat, loads Reed Bunts.

Re Cettis, we are there now, and 2 signs on far bank re slurry lagoons are a good marker. 2 birds calling. Don't go as far as bridge over river. Also lots of common warblers, sprawk, kingfisher. The new scrapes look good for waders. Cheers Dan

unknown warbler.....

First of all, I dont have any pictures of the bird i am about to discuss. whilst listening to chiffchaff and whitethroat, i was drawn to another warbler which was different, Firstly I heard a call which was best described as a scratchy yet fluid "ch" and this note was repeated for about 10-15 seconds, I looked in the bush with my bins and i got onto a small warbler, its back was grey head looked dark and what appeared to be rufous on its breast, legs appeared darkish, It then flew off into really thick trees,

I would like to here what you think this could be.
B :) michael

First of all, I dont have any pictures of the bird i am about to discuss. whilst listening to chiffchaff and whitethroat, i was drawn to another warbler which was different, Firstly I heard a call which was best described as a scratchy yet fluid "ch" and this note was repeated for about 10-15 seconds, I looked in the bush with my bins and i got onto a small warbler, its back was grey head looked dark and what appeared to be rufous on its breast, legs appeared darkish, It then flew off into really thick trees,

I would like to here what you think this could be.
B :) michael

It's obviously hard to call without a picture or a recording of the sound but Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler or Blackcap could all be possible.

2 Temminck's Stint at Pleasley Pit, doing laps around the small islands, still showing about 20 minutes ago.

Nearly didn't go up when they were reported as Little Stint, already have them for my Derbys list and I have work to do at home. When I saw the correction on Birdguides that was enough, had to go bag me the lifer.

A truly stunning day at Carsington yesterday. I thought with the wind and rain that was about I might get a bit if stuff but It was a bit better than I expected. Over the course of the day I had approximately 80 Arctic Terns including two flocks of 27 and 17. Also 6 Black Terns moving through.

Also quite a few Waders present including at least 2 Sanderlings, Turnstone, Ringed Plovers, Little Ringed Plovers, Common Sandpipers, Dunlins. A female Yellow Wagtail and a superb Ad Med Gull to top the day off.

Days like like that at Carsington don't come along very often.

Last edited:
Hi all,

If anyone has any gen on the dotterels at Stanage Edge being there today (even negative reports), I would really appreciate a PM. I'm thinking of having a look up there after work today, but it's a long walk from the bus stop and a bloody awful day weatherwise if they've moved on...

Hi all,

If anyone has any gen on the dotterels at Stanage Edge being there today (even negative reports), I would really appreciate a PM. I'm thinking of having a look up there after work today, but it's a long walk from the bus stop and a bloody awful day weatherwise if they've moved on...

No reports today as yet, then again probably nobody has looked with the weather conditions.
8 Turnstone and 1 Sanderling at Carsington this morning.

No reports today as yet, then again probably nobody has looked with the weather conditions.
8 Turnstone and 1 Sanderling at Carsington this morning.

Cheers, Clive. Looking out of the window at the current weather I think I'll try tomorrow morning instead... even if they've moved on still good chance of ring ouzel, and wood warbler at Wyming Brook on the way!

Still no news, but like Clive says, I bet nobody has been...........

2 Temmincks still at Pleasley, 12 Whimbrel through Carr Vale and Wood Sand and Turnstone on Canal Scrape, Willington............

Still no news, but like Clive says, I bet nobody has been...........

2 Temmincks still at Pleasley, 12 Whimbrel through Carr Vale and Wood Sand and Turnstone on Canal Scrape, Willington............

3 Dotterel present this Pm still according to pager.... annoying cause I was near there but bottled out due to weather and a bad knee!:-C

atb

Steph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back