• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off to Harlech in mid September (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I'm off to Harlech in mid september and was wondering if anyone could tell me where to go bird watching (within about 40 mins drive) and what I may see?

Any Wader hot spots?

Are Raptors coming down of the hills and hanging out in the estuaries?

Are any birds remaining on the high ground or active in the woodlands?

And as a side line.. are there any Seal colonies along the coast?

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul

I am so jealous - you are going to one of the most underwatched areas I know that can yeild some lovely birds.

Just below Harlech is a tiny hamlet caled YNYS (not the YNYS where the RSPB have a reserve) if you drive down to it it is on a sharp bend and coming off the crown of the bend is a tiny lane (turning the bend into a T junction - you will see what I mean when you get there) follow this lane past a tall three story house and the estuary pens up in front of you - ahead on the next bend is an area where you can pull the car off onto the grass and it is a superb spot for watching especially when the tide is right.

Also go up to Porthmadog - only 10, 15 mins from Harlech - the Cob is a good area for birds - you can walk around it and across the Cob too (the Cob is a road across the estaury mouth on a raised bank and has a purpose built lower footpath now) - many unusual birds can turn up here.

If you go south on the coast road through Barmouth (the beach at Barmouth is good for waders and gulls but dog walkers too) and go across the toll bridge to Paenmanpool there is and RSPB hide in an old signal box beside the disused railway that follows the estuary - the footpath southwards especially yeilds good woodland and coastal birds.

Further afield is the RSPB reserve at Ynys Hir just beyond Machynelleth (spelling!) well worth the beautiful drive down - a superb reserve of mixed woodland, fields and coastal estuary.

The woods near Dollgellau inland from Barmouth called the Coed Y Brennin forest is excellent for woodland birds and the rivers hold wagtails, Dippers and the like. Chance of Goshawk too, here.

Get an OS map and explore the tiny unclassed roads above the coast road behind Harlech, Dyffryn and so on - fabulous for Woodpeckers, Raptors and other woodland birds.

Any area of the beach that runs from Barmouth to Harlech is excellent for waders, Gulls, terns and so on.

I could go on and on it is a birders paradise and when you are there the weather should be excellent and no crowds at all. Hold your hat for the breathtaking sunsets over the sea from Harlech.

No room in the boot is there?!!!

Enjoy

Doug

Thanks for that information I'll get the maps out this weekend and locate the areas you described.

It's going to be a family holiday combined with a bird watching trip so I'm trying to plan all the options before hand. For example combining a good family walk looking at scenery with bird watching while not forgetting to take the babbies lunch.

I have a light weight 8-20X (ex USSR) spotting scope (hand held or propped on a tree branch) which somehow finds its way into my babbies papoos safely lying between fresh nappies and the rattle.

I expect to hear buzzards calling overhead and my child gurgling in the rear. or perhaps my childs rear gurgling. A little too much detail for BirdForum perhaps?

If your map is at all old (like mine of the area!), Ynys is called Llanfihangel-y-traethau ('St. Michael's-on-the-beach'), but it is Ynys on new maps as here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=259500&Y=335500&zoom=4

Dipper, Grey Wagtail, woodland birds, etc., should be just as easy in the Afon Artro valley just east of Llanbedr, only 3 miles south of Harlech
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=259500&Y=327500&zoom=4

If you're into culture, don't forget Portmeirion (across the estuary from Ynys), the Ffestiniog mini-railway and Harlech Castle. And watch out for the Men of Harlech!

Michael

And don't miss in Harlech the hotel called 'La Plas' - it has stunning views from the terrace and conservatory over the bay with the castle to the right and does sumptuos cream teas (the La Plas Special they call it). Unmissable. Take your bins because you look down on the birds from the terrace!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back