• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm FinePix S700 (1 Viewer)

nctexasbirder

young birder
It is a low-end camera but it has 10x optical zoom and a large LCD viewfinder. I think it would adequate for a birding camera. wouldnt 10x zoom be enough? Also, (this was in Walmart), i think i saw the Canon S3 IS. It seems that its a favorite on here. Should i get that one to start in bird photography?

Last edited:
Can't speak for the Canon, but the Fuji S700 with 10x optical zoom is more than fine as an entry level, hand held birding camera. I have the Fuji S9100,(you might want to look at that one for an extra $125.00 or so), which has the additional advantage of shooting RAW. I use it as an all around birding/travel camera when I don't want to carry around the "big gun" (Nikon D2X w/ 80-400 VR).

I think the Canon S3 is a better choice for several reasons: it has true image stabilization (not the fake "stabilization" that the Fuji uses by just upping the ISO); it has a larger zoom range (out to about 430 vs 380 for the Fuji); it has the swiveling LCD screen. Of course, the Canon is more expensive too.

Finally, Canon is bringing out the S5IS in July, which is an 8MP version:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

I think i shall try for the Canon. I wonder if it has manual override....also I see the Panazonic Lumiz F27 has been recommended as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back