• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Elmer Fudd

Unfortunately I couldn't reply to this quite old thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=250494

So, let me place my question right here in a new thread:

Sorry for digging this out, but what about the quality of the Nikon 7x35 porros of those bygone days, for example one like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/8515056489/

and especially a 7x35 A feather-weight?

Which contemporary binos of these "old" Nikon are equal in quality or even better?

What would be a good buyers price?

Elmer,

I am not aware of any current 7x35 offerings that equal the Nikon 7x35 E with multicoatings. There are some current models that may match its centerfield resolution and possibly even with wider fields of view but the edge performance isn't anywhere near as good as this Nikon. The closest 7x35 model currently on the market would be the Nikon Action EX. Good eye relief, a wide field of view, good apparent sharpness and fully multicoated of course.

I have owned the 7x35 E FMC along with the single coated version and several of the widefield Nikon Actions that predate the FMC Nikon E. The WF "widefield" Nikon Action models from the late 1980s are certainly optically comparable to the Nikon 7x35 E FMC in every way except for apparent contrast (as a result of the lower light transmission from the single coatings) and the eye relief level.

Here is a link to some of the Nikon 7x35s that I have owned in recent years.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73029961@N07/sets/72157628837778963/

Elmer,

Several years ago I bought a 7x35 E on sale, for 1500 SEK ~$200. Unfortunately the eye relief was not close to adequate for my eyeglasses needs. So I gave it to my best friend. But I can say that the optical quality surely competes to the best roofs today when it comes to an-axis sharpness. It's a pity that Nikon discontinued their high-grade porros!

That 7x35 configuration with a relatively narrow field was made by Nikon for many years. Most of them are not fully multi-coated. If you can find the multi-coated version the images will probably be comparable to most modern bins However if you are used to more modern bins with a fairly wide field I think you will find the narrow 7.1 field to be constrictive.

I have a 7x35 7.1 that probably dates to the late 1960's early 1970's. The images are certainly sharp but I'm used to more modern porros like the EII and the lack of multi coating is obvious. And 7.1 degrees fov at 7x magnification is initially tight. I would recommend going for a new Nikon Aculon or the discontinued Action bins in 7x35 of that size is the one you are looking for.

Thank you very much for your informations. I was very impressed by the classic design. An if the quality of the optical elements is as good as on my 30 years old Nikon lenses for my FM2n/D300 I will try to get one.

Last edited:
You won't believe what happened last weekend:

I visited my parents and was looking at the bird feeder in their garden when I asked my dad for a pair of bins. And suddenly I recalled that we had presented him with a pair of Nikon-made bins two or even three decades ago. When he showed up with the Nikon I had to keep very calm and hold my hands still. It was a Nikon 7x35 but not with 7.1° but 9.3°!

And he came along with his almost new Leica Trinovid 8x20 BCA. So I had the opportunity to compare both bins. I was impressed with the great performance delivered by the small Leica bins but also with the also great performance of the 7x35.

A 9.3° FOV, how many yards at 1,000 yards will that be?

Last edited:
So, it's the original Action 7x35 unless you notice a gold band around the objective lens trim ring. Then it would be the upgraded Gold Sentinel version of the same binocular.

So, it's the original Action 7x35 unless you notice a gold band around the objective lens trim ring. Then it would be the upgraded Gold Sentinel version of the same binocular.

I still have one of the original Action 7x35s. It still never ceases to please me when I look through it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back