• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon PL-C 52WII 52mm Drop-In Circular Polarizing Filter (1 Viewer)

TatRei

Hello birding community,

i have one question:
- is it worth to invest in the Polarizing Filter for the actual EF500/4 II for bird photography ?

My objections are:
- losing light (1 stop ?) for BIF
- losing some sharpness at long lenses
- circuitous handling when changing between polarize and neutral (BIF and static).
- post processing became quite powerful in the meantime

I expect better structures in the plumage and less reflections in water-pictures.

Does anyone use the PL-C52 and can share the experience ?

Thanks in advance !

Reinhold

I have the earlier version, I read that it is the same except for the paint!

I have used it occasionally with my 300 F2.8 L IS and didn't see any significant image degradation though you do loose a fair bit of light. I have also tried it with my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS but the light loss is normally a bit much as it effects shutter speed/ISO/aperture.

This is one of those things that I bought thinking it would be a great idea but I have rarely used it, I must give it a proper go sometime.

Sorry not very helpful!

I have the "II" version. I have tried it, and quickly went back to using the supplied neutral "no-loss" filter. My lenses are the EF 300 F/2.8L IS and EF 500 F/4L IS. Perhaps if I was shooting against water and at the "wrong" angle, I would have found a need for it. I'm rarely close enough to birds to gain any benefit from its effect on feather detail. OTOH I frequently use a polarising filter on my Canon HG30 camcorder when videoing damsel flies, and similar.

Last edited:
John, Malcolm,

thank you very much for your help.

It seems that the expense is more a "nice to have" than a must.
What you write show me that my doubts ain't completely baseless.

I couldn't resist buying one that was around half price only because the packaging was slightly crushed. I have to say I too have hardly used it! Always intend to when the sun is out but don't stick with it for very long. It certainly enhances colours, too much perhaps, but I'm not sure it does anything for detail.

Dave, thank you for sharing your experience.
Due to the information received here I canceled my order and will concentrate on post-processing when boosting colors ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back