• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa DB42 v Monarchs (1 Viewer)

dafi

I have been looking for an alternative to Nikon Monarchs in the three hundred pound price range and saw these on wherehouseexpress. Kowa DB42. The specs look about the same the Kowas being slightly hevier[witch i dont mind]
but looking through old threads Kowa get a bit of a paning. So the DB42s are being sold as a new new bin. Are thay brand new or a development of an existing line? Has anybody tried them? Better stil anybody with specs?
Cheers
Daf

dafi said:
I have been looking for an alternative to Nikon Monarchs in the three hundred pound price range and saw these on wherehouseexpress. Kowa DB42. The specs look about the same the Kowas being slightly hevier[witch i dont mind]
but looking through old threads Kowa get a bit of a paning. So the DB42s are being sold as a new new bin. Are thay brand new or a development of an existing line? Has anybody tried them? Better stil anybody with specs?
Cheers
Daf
Not tried the Kowas's. But if you can, have a look at the Helios AM6. I have the Monarch 8x36 and was really impressed by the 8x32 Helios AM6. Not tried the 8 or 10x42 Helios AM6's though.

alan_rymer said:
Not tried the Kowas's. But if you can, have a look at the Helios AM6. I have the Monarch 8x36 and was really impressed by the 8x32 Helios AM6. Not tried the 8 or 10x42 Helios AM6's though.

Cheers Allan but im still torn between the Nikon and Kowas, There seems to be a love hate thing going on with the Monarchs in the threads, but the Kowas look realy smooth trouble with me is i get very little chance to try any thing out here. and dont want to spend this mutch with a deep breath and fingers crossed {not that im to tight to get the pennies oot me sporan ye ken]

How about a pair of those minox 8x32/8x42 BL roofprisms?

Plenty of positive words about these on the minox forum..

Matt

dafi said:
Cheers Allan but im still torn between the Nikon and Kowas, There seems to be a love hate thing going on with the Monarchs in the threads, but the Kowas look realy smooth trouble with me is i get very little chance to try any thing out here. and dont want to spend this mutch with a deep breath and fingers crossed {not that im to tight to get the pennies oot me sporan ye ken]
Och aye!;) . I'm a Yorkshireman, I know the feeling ( the hand gets cramp when you think of putting it in the pocket to withdraw cash! :eek!: ).

Hi Allan Its strange i cant seem to find out anything at all about Kowa bins thats not quite old views. I do seem to rember a good review of the Helios in Birdwatching some while back. Cheers for the tip{and you Matt} However i have just found 8x42 monarchs in the UK for £199 plus thay are in real tree. Looks like i might just save a hundred quid on the w/houseexprs price and that about tips it over for me. Shame though cos the Kowas look the biz nice colour clean lines. Oh well.

dafi said:
Cheers
Daf

Dafi,

those Kowa BD42s are quite suitable for eyeglass wearers. Eye relief ist of about 17 mm for the 8x42. They have a bright and contrasty image. Trade off is the narrow field of view compared with high end binos.

Steve

Dafi

Have you looked at the Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44 HHS roof prisms?

They are available from Warehouse Express for about £230 and should have a lifetime guarantee. I have had a pair for about three years and am really pleased with them. They do, however, have a slightly narrow FOV than some of the others.

Just a thought.

Ron

Cheers for your thoughts lads but i plumped for the Nikons and just got them home today. I am well pleased with them on first try. So now ill have to get out and get a feel for them. anyway £199 from microglobe.co.uk.in London .plus i found them in an advert on the botom of this forum cant be bad can it. Rock on BF.

dafi said:
Cheers for your thoughts lads but i plumped for the Nikons and just got them home today. I am well pleased with them on first try. So now ill have to get out and get a feel for them. anyway £199 from microglobe.co.uk.in London .plus i found them in an advert on the botom of this forum cant be bad can it. Rock on BF.

Hi Dafi

I am in the same quandry as you were and it is a toss-up between the Monarch , Swift HHS and Kowa BD42s. My only concern is with the (reported)quality control issues on the Monarchs and the love/hate relationship on this site. I would be grateful for your views on the build quality of yours. The Cornell Labs report was an excellent write up on the Monarchs and the price you paid is amazing considering Amazon have them listed at over £400!

I see that you bought yours from Microglobe. Is it a Nikon UK model or a grey import as I am concerned over potential warranty issues. I only ask as I am a member of the Nikonians camera forum and there is a very interesting but disturbing thread on Nikon UK's refusal to repair a new Nikon D80 bought in Singapore. Although it was purchased from an approved Nikon dealer in Singapore the fact that it was not imported through Nikon Europe means that it has to be sent back to the supplying dealer in Singapore for repair. I must admit that I thought the warranty was international.

Excellent choice though and I am delighted that you are so pleased with them.

Regards
Pat

Hi Pat
I must admit i was a bit dubious about build quality but thay seem to funtion fine. The rain caps are a loose fit and fall off but thats about it for any sort of initial problems. I went out for the last two hours of light tonight and wasnt disapointed at any point. Opticaly thay are so far ahead of the ones i am useing that i cant compare them. But i have to say im well happy at the moment. I would say if at all possible try before you buy. As for the warranty i have a years worth on them. Microglobe have the RRP down as £275 or so. and that begs the question whos making all the profit out of us[ try looking in the states!]. Its a real pity the 8x56s dont close focus or i would have grabed them. Any way so far so good!!
Cheers
Daf

Hi Dafi

Many thanks for your prompt reply.
I will try and get a pair to test as the vast majority of comments/reports speak very highly of the Monarchs. For £199 they seem to offer 90% of an A-list bino for 20% of the price. So I too can live with less than secure rain caps!

As for prices in the States.....lucky beggars!

Pat

dafi said:
Cheers
Daf
I owned an older pair of Kowas and they were optically very good - just too heavy. The problem came when I part-exchanged them. Wow - the price did drop. Now, when I sold my wife's Nikon Sporters on eBay, they fetched more (yes more) than Warehouse Express were selling them for at the time. If you think you might be upgrading in the future, a popular brand will fetch a better s/h price, it seems.

Hi Scampo i have been folowing bins and scopes on ebay for ages and although you see a good selection the prices are on the whole on the expensive side to say the least. So if i was going to chop them in ebay would be fave. However we were out to day and the weather has been flat calm. The views from the hills over the lochs were just stunning in their clarity. So im pretty chuffed with my Nikons at the moment and might hang on to them for the year. The first big day of rain will be the propper test!!

dafi said:
Hi Scampo i have been folowing bins and scopes on ebay for ages and although you see a good selection the prices are on the whole on the expensive side to say the least. So if i was going to chop them in ebay would be fave. However we were out to day and the weather has been flat calm. The views from the hills over the lochs were just stunning in their clarity. So im pretty chuffed with my Nikons at the moment and might hang on to them for the year. The first big day of rain will be the propper test!!
I expct you get plenty of the wet stuff up there (but some amazing birds, too!).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back