• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kingfisher carving... (1 Viewer)

Brilliant Mark , can't wait to see the finished product. I will be showing my son who
is 8. He said he would like to have a go at carving but I'm a little concerned about
the safety issue with the tools!!! I may just encourage him to just continue with
his Clay modeling then let him transfer onto wood when he is older.

thats good andrew , a new carver in the making...clay is a very good starter for carving... I would say that 90% of carvers use this ( I do).
Its good for sorting out problems, you can add it or remove it , you can't with wood...well you could remove it ...but you can't but it back, also i make my cutting templates from these....mark

few more clippings from the workshop......if anyone is interested in more of these..:t:then i will post more, great spotted next....

Attachments

• mixed 35.jpg
    mixed 35.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 263
  • mixed 36.jpg
    mixed 36.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 270
the next time I'm laboriously painting little feathers, I'm going to think of this work and be grateful I'm not carving them:) What makes the brown tones and lines? will it be painted in color. One thing the carver has the painter doesn't , is a real tangible feel for the anatomy and feather patterns.

Coming along a real treat Mark. I've been promising myself for years that I'll have a go at some three dimensional work but it just never seems to happen.

Mike

colleen..the lines you see are from a burning pen,these will be painted...
mike have a go...start of with a smoothie first, one thats carved with no feather detail...you paint the detail in.mark...

I've always liked the work of Simon Gudgeon so my leanings would probably be towards that kind of smooth surfaced work anyhow. One day....one day...

Mike

eyes are now fitted..I like that part, that's when the bird comes alive..I've also sealed the bird with sanding sealer.....If I didn't seal it ,when I start painting then the wood would fuss-up, because I use acrylic paints..mark.

Attachments

• mixed 37.jpg
    mixed 37.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 114
  • mixed 38.jpg
    mixed 38.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 142
sorry I kept you waiting! for the finished bird.... a lot has happened since then, I done a great spot pecker & Shoveler Duck,plus stone-chat...
the stone-chat won best of show, in the songbird class, uk championships in bakewell....
mark.

Attachments

• P1010507.JPG
    P1010507.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 126
  • P1010512.JPG
    P1010512.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010520.JPG
    P1010520.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010500.JPG
    P1010500.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010518.JPG
    P1010518.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 121
Hell thats good............
Succinct and accurate, Andrew!
These are fantastico Mark and absolutely no surprise to learn of your success at the championships - really well done!!!
Is the digitalis carved too? Wonderful work and some really brilliant designs, too. Magic!

these really are very inspiring - such a wonderful stonechat, no wonder it won - quite simply it had to be a winner, just look at it, it's gorgeous.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back