• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds eggs auctioneer faces fine (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

I think the cabinets owner (if he is still around of course) should be the one that is facing the music along with the Auctioneer.

Two people are involved with this issue not just one

All for the sale price of £40 for the cabinet!

Regards
Kathy
x

I’m curious about the law involved here. I take it that it’s legal under UK law to own bird egg collections (assuming they date from the time when egg collecting was not illegal) but that it’s not legal to sell them. Is that right or is it more complicated than that?

Last edited:
They had him on the local news last week and he was trying to make it out that he knew nothing about it being illegal and that he was complaining about the way how he had been arrested and questioned....Didnt feel sorry for him though, surely any auctioneer knows what they are not allowed to sell.

If I remember correctly this cabinet collection had came from a deceased person house.

Ignorance is no defence under the law!

As an auctioneer it is his responsibility not to be selling prohibited goods of any kind, and therefore his duty to know what can and can't be sold.

I live just around the corner from these auction rooms :-O

My first thought, when I heard about it, was ''What a pillock - everyone knows it's illegal!!!'' :smoke: I knew that when I was only a wee nipper!

But the folk up here DO tend to just go ahead and do what THEY want ;)

He'll probably get off with a slapped wrist and told not to do it again.....and then he'll go bleating top the local paper about how he was victimised :-O

I’m curious about the law involved here. I take it that it’s legal under UK law to own bird egg collections (assuming they date from the time when egg collecting was not illegal) but that it’s not legal to sell them. Is that right or is it more complicated than that?

I’m beginning to think nobody’s going to answer this. ;)

Googling "law on owning bird eggs";

http://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/7475.aspx

Seems you're right if the info in the link is correct ...

(I believe this is the answer? ;) )

JUst for an update, this was on the local news last night that he had been fined £1000.

Yes a good result, but the thing I find slightly annoying is that when people who have actually been and taken eggs from nests of protected species and have a collection of them get nowhere near this fine.

JUst for an update, this was on the local news last night that he had been fined £1000.

Yes a good result, but the thing I find slightly annoying is that when people who have actually been and taken eggs from nests of protected species and have a collection of them get nowhere near this fine.

Hi Marmot

Thank you for the information

Exactly Marmot ...it does not get to the root of the issue at all does it! :-C

I find this statement hard to take in, but it may be how the press have taken it on board.

.......Railton, a former RSPB member, added: "I can sell a stuffed golden eagle but if that eagle happens to have an egg in the case with it, it is illegal."......

Regards

Kathy and Dave

.......Railton, a former RSPB member, added: "I can sell a stuffed golden eagle but if that eagle happens to have an egg in the case with it, it is illegal."......

To be fair he's got a point there, that does seem a rather silly law but its still up to him to know what he can and cant sell.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back