• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slik D3 or Manfrotto 222 Grip Action Ball Head (1 Viewer)

Merop

William Wilson
I am looking at the Ergorest MultiTripod for photography.

It can be supplied with either the Slik D3 or Manfrotto 222 Grip Action Ball Head has anyone any recommendations or I can buy without a head and buy something different?

Last edited:
I've used the grip action head with my old Bushnell Spacemaster scope. It afforded the extra height I needed on my smallish tripod. I still have it- it works well but if you use it for a long time- say more than 3 hours- you will experience some hand fatigue. It is also not the smoothest ballhead. It tends to have some frustrating choppiness when panning. I don't know about the Slik.

The Slik is a pretty smooth head, but, as you state you will be using it for photography, you should probably bear in mind that it doesn't tilt for "portrait" shots in a conventional way. Instead you must turn the base plate through 90º and tilt the whole head down (so you've now got the pan/tilt handle sticking up in the air!)
Not a major problem for birding but if you intend to take a lot of "portrait" orientated shots it might get a bit tedious. Oh......it's also heavier than a WWII Royal Navy mine sweeper :D

Thanks for the info, I decided to buy the Ergorest MultiTripod and use my existing Benbo ball and socket head.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back