• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Muscovy Duck Occurence in East TN (1 Viewer)

UnknownSpecies56

Hey folks,

I have question about the frequency and distribution of muscovy ducks. eBird has them labeled as "Muscovy Duck (Domestic Type)" and listed as a rare species. However, on their website TWRA (TN Wildlife Resource Agency) states that they can be "regularly" found throughout the state. A frequency data map search on eBird shows very few sightings of this bird, but here in TN I've think I've seen them at many different parks. Is the bird commonly seen at parks the same "Muscovy Duck (Domestic Type)" species that eBird is referring to, or is it a mixed, domestic species that people drop off?

Thanks,

Here is a picture of the bird I'm talking about that I've frequently seen at various parks. Is this the same "Muscovy Duck (Domestic Type)" that eBird is referring to?

Thanks

Attachments

• muscovy_duck(Maybe).jpg
    muscovy_duck(Maybe).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 54
Hey folks,

I have question about the frequency and distribution of muscovy ducks. eBird has them labeled as "Muscovy Duck (Domestic Type)" and listed as a rare species. However, on their website TWRA (TN Wildlife Resource Agency) states that they can be "regularly" found throughout the state. A frequency data map search on eBird shows very few sightings of this bird, but here in TN I've think I've seen them at many different parks. Is the bird commonly seen at parks the same "Muscovy Duck (Domestic Type)" species that eBird is referring to, or is it a mixed, domestic species that people drop off?
Thanks,

Yes, this is "Muscovy Duck (Domestic Type)". Its status as "rare species" depends on your local filter. In our local filter I set purebreed Muscovy-dom.type to 5 birds and hybrid Muscovy x Mallard to 4 birds (which is the number of the largest documented flocks of "continuing" birds). Therefore if someone saw 6 such ducks it would trigger the filter. In real life we have one group of 3 birds and one group of 5 that consistently meet the criteria of not being fenced/caged/enclosured and are regularly reported from eBirders' home patches. If they reproduced I would change the filter to reflect the new flock size. Birders generally do not report them outside of their own home patches, maybe unsure of whether the birds are really feral.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back