• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory SF 8x42 in the Hard Case (1 Viewer)

Jaywalk

United States
Is there a trick to putting the Victory SF 8x42 back into its cordura case with the bin's neckstrap on? I've tried folding up the soft part of the neck strap between the barrels but still can't close the case's zipper all the way.

Is there a trick to putting the Victory SF 8x42 back into its cordura case with the bin's neckstrap on? I've tried folding up the soft part of the neck strap between the barrels but still can't close the case's zipper all the way.

No there is no problem and I covered this a couple of years ago with photos. All I do with my SFs is wind the strap around the hinges and nestle the end between the barrels and then in it goes. Honestly, I have been doing this with SFs ever since they were launched and never had trouble zipping up the case...Cheers

Lee

Always seems to be a little tight for me. I use a RY Ultralight harness. Sometimes a little repositioning will do...

Thank you. Wrapping around the hinges worked, after a fashion. I did have to remove the warranty booklet but I probably shouldn't have tried to carry that, anyway. Still, it is quite tight, the magnets in the strap and case do not overlap completely, and there is certainly strain on the stitching near the objective covers. This has been the case since I replaced the eyecups with the taller replacements.

I the rainguard on top over the eyecups and pull the strap back behind the bins and fold it up so it nestles behind the hinge. I don't have objective covers on when the bins are in the hard case as there really is no need. We are packing up to go home after a hol and I just put the SFs into the case as described above and it didn't need any forcing, stretching, pushing, shoving or cussing to get it in and zipped up. The magneting flap fits on the magnet just right too.

Lee

I the rainguard on top over the eyecups and pull the strap back behind the bins and fold it up so it nestles behind the hinge. I don't have objective covers on when the bins are in the hard case as there really is no need. We are packing up to go home after a hol and I just put the SFs into the case as described above and it didn't need any forcing, stretching, pushing, shoving or cussing to get it in and zipped up. The magneting flap fits on the magnet just right too.

Lee
Lee, if not on the objectives, where do you put the covers?

Lee, if not on the objectives, where do you put the covers?

Hi Jay

I have never used objective covers, ever, so they stay in the carton up in our roof space.

My bins mostly live inside their carry cases where they are well protected and when we go on trips or holidays they travel in the cases until we reach our destination apart from the times when we drive through interesting and quiet countryside when I might have a pair around my neck.
When on holilday the bins are either out on a table or window ledge or around my neck. At no time have I felt the need for the extra protection of objective covers.
BUT: we have never been to a place with severe wind-driven sand and I can imagine wanting the protection of objective covers then. BTW when walking through thorny scrub I protect the bins with my hand against my body or tuck them under my jacket or shirt.

Cheers Lee

I'd like to know why people feel the need to use the objective covers at all? I've ditched all of mine from day one and work my bins very hard - all weather, brush and thicket, lots of bushwhacking and have never scratched an objective in over 40 years.

I only use objective covers when I'm on my bike to stop dirt getting flicked up onto the objective lenses.

I'd like to know why people feel the need to use the objective covers at all? I've ditched all of mine from day one and work my bins very hard - all weather, brush and thicket, lots of bushwhacking and have never scratched an objective in over 40 years.

Dust, dirt, grime, tree limbs, accidents, etc... It's not always practical to have the covers on during frequent use for sure BUT.... I have at the least the objective covers ON when not frequent glassing. Mainly keeps exterior of optics cleaner with less cleaning. For the most part the HT/SF/Conquest HD covers are kinda useless in the field though. FL covers are great! I also always put them on when putting in case to store.....I see no reason not to.

Agree entirely.
Binoculars and monoculars are utility items, not sacred objects.
Common sense care is quite sufficient.

It's only recently that decent binoculars have objective covers as standard. My Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarems(1975) ,Carl Zeiss 10x40 BGT Dialyts (1986) and 7x42BGTP Dialyts (1997)were not provided with objective covers. The Dekarems didn't even have a rain guard. My Swaro 8x32s bought two years ago were the first with objective covers for use in the field. My wife used a pair of Swift 8x40 about 40 years ago with objective covers but they were more for packaging than field use. Objective covers were not common when Bill Oddie published " The Little Black Bird Book", otherwise I'm sure he would have used them as one of the indicators for classifying a "dude" birder.
I notice my Zeiss SF 10x42 bought 2 days ago have objective covers but are left unattatched (to preserve my image of course).

Back on thread I initially found the case a tight fit but with care and practice it's no longer an issue.

Last edited:
I've tried it both ways over the last month or so - with case and without objective covers, and with objective covers and without case. I prefer keeping the covers and not using the case, so the case is now stored away and the binocs are immediately available after a quick flick removing the covers. It's the way I carried my Nikon Superior E set for years and I'm comfortable with it. Thanks for the ideas.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back