• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 advice (1 Viewer)

John,
What are the main advantage/s of the Victory 10x32 over the Conquest 10x32? Adhoc

Hi Adhoc,

Not wanting to take anything away from the excellent Conquest, in my experience the FL controls lateral CA better and its transmission figure is higher.

John

Hi,

as Lee pointed out, the Meopta is also a nice option in the $1000 class... or their twin brother Cabela's Euro HD for those blessed with a Cabela's nearby - not so much for the o.p. in Scotland...

Regarding FL vs Conquest HD transmission - the FL probably has the edge but it has to be said that those transmission values from allbinos need to be taken with a grain of salt - they were often quite far away from what others measured... especially since the FL review used the old graph and the Conquest HD was measured only at two wavelengths (green and red) - obviously with a different instrument for which a very low error margin of +- 1% is given... maybe that is more realistic but of course only part of the picture since blue is left out.

Optically both Nikon porros will meet (E2) or beat (SE) all the bins mentioned at lower prices but of course they're a bit larger, slightly heavier and not waterproof.

Joachim, porro fanatic

Hi Joachim,

I always think the Nikon's sit solid as a rock in the middle of the river no matter what goes on around them. Truly fab porros. The new 8x30 E II anniversary bins are always something i'd truly like, just because for no other reason I want them. Surely a collectors item of the future.

However, the quandary of acquiring a 10x roof of reasonable weight without spending silly money is in my bloodstream.

I'm scared of the consequences of picking up a Victory HT 10x42. Incidentally, does anyone know if Zeiss plan to bring out 8x and 10x32 HT's?

Hi,

I would be very surprised if we would see 32mm models in the HT line - as SF is the latest line, so I'd eventually expect some 32mm models with field flattening to compete with EL-SV in 32mm.

Looking at how optically nice and compact the 32mm FLs are, 32mm HTs don't really make sense, especially since the defining feature of the HT line, the Abbe-Koenig prisms don't really scale well to small sizes...

Joachim

Incidentally, does anyone know if Zeiss plan to bring out 8x and 10x32 HT's?

Seems a bit unlikely to me, after 5 years on the market. HT is excellent in low light with it's AK prisms and targeted mostly to hunters. A 8x32 with AK prisms is unlikely due to size. Plus 32mm bins are not really intended for low light usage.

A replacement for the 32mm FL:s have been lacking for so long now, that I'm starting to think that there will be none. Product cycles of 10 years or more is not uncommon in optics. Both Nikon and Canon still sell lenses designed in the 90's. Not sure when the 8x32 FL was released, but perhaps 2007? (My rugged 7x42mm FL is from 2004).

Also now Zeiss have the 32mm Conquest in the line up.

A 8x32 SF have been rumored though. Might be a bit more likely.

Zeiss explained on this forum some years ago that there will never be 32mm HTs because their design target was to provide low light capability. The 54mm version was an extension of this, a 32mm would be a step back too far.

My scan of a 2005 Zeiss brochure shows FL 32s with a banner exclaiming NEW so they were probably launched in late 2004 or in 2005.

I am sure that an SF 32 will come eventually and that its frustratingly long gestation period must be due to other products being developed that are considered more important. I am sure dealers would like an SF 50 too.

In the meantime FL is still very competitive and only suffers from familiarity on the market ie it has been around for a long time and has an appearance that harks back to the days of Dialyts.

Lee

Mmm, interesting. Maybe 10x42 HT's are the route to go?

However, I will check with Zeiss on 10x32 FL availability as I see they have none in stock on their website.

Well, as many have advised time after time the only way to really check your ideal binocular is to test them in the flesh.

I've just compared the Zeiss 10x42HT, Leica Ultravid 8x32 and Swaro EL 10x32 along with some others.

It wasn't even a contest...... optically, easy of use, field of view, feel in hands..... yip you've guessed it...the EL's are in a league of their own. I genuinely didn't expect the difference to be this obvious. The relaxed view is just beautiful an din truth there's not much between the EL 8x32 and 10x32. Both are quite stunning.

The Victory HT's were ok, but too big and heavy and optically I don't see any advantage over the EL, infact they were slightly duller.....oir maybe less sharp. Ultravids were actually a bit dull in comparison. In fact I quite liked the Conquest HD's, a very nice bin for the money.

The one aspect where my Nikon 8x32SE did still reign supreme was the focus wheel. None of the above are as smooth as the Nikon. I didn't realise just how good and smooth it really was. The HT focus wheel actually felt a bit notchy.

So where do I go now......do I also try one of the 10x32 Nikons.... there doesn't seem to be anything in the gap between M7's and EDG

This is a sort of an evolution of a Zeiss thread now I guess....

Hi J,

I can get a new 10x32EL Pro for the same price. Why would I go for the FL?

Don't get me wrong I'm interested but no-one around here holds stock of them so difficult to compare.

I had heard that an 8x32 SF was planned, but development held back due to the revisions to the 42mm SFs (grey to black and whatever else went on). Could just be rumour though.
If they don't go that way, i hope they continue production of the 32mm FLs though. I've tried a lot of 32mm bins subsequently, and the 8x32FL is still my overall favourite.

The only other one i'd consider at the moment would be the Kowa Genesis, which struck me as approaching the FL-level of CA cancellation.

Thanks for that J, much appreciated. What does the B19 mean against it?

Also, what does the "T" mean in the newer FL's and does it make a difference?

Dipped, Many thanks for that..... price looks very tempting indeed. I guess not so long ago they would have been considered a top roof by Nikon?

Dipped, Many thanks for that..... price looks very tempting indeed. I guess not so long ago they would have been considered a top roof by Nikon?

Indeed, here is a review google translated by Kimmo Absetz in 2004:

Nikon 10x32 HG The Nikon 10x32 HG is a compact binocular, but has accumulated a weight approximately Zeiss. For the nifty, its narrow body can make it cramped, but otherwise handling is very good. The retractable eye cups are comfortable and the field of vision is extensive, but also the HG's eye cups are slightly overstated. The large, rubberized focus wheel is excellent soft and smooth, but its speed can be tiring to get used. Quick focus also gives an impression of low depth of field, but as far as I can measure it, HG's depth of field is in fact among the best. The image quality was excellent both at the test plates and in the terrain. The contrast is gorgeous, vibrant and natural, and the image is as sharp as the Leica lens. The color deviation is approximately the same as in Leica. In the brightness, HG did not go up to the higher level, but on the basis of low light tests, it even lowered the details as well as the others - only the color separation in the dim light was a bit easier with larger binoculars.

It can be found in Finnish here: http://www.suomenlintuvaruste.com/koe/arvostelu_8_Leica_10x_FI.pdf

Paddy,

You would buy an FL 10x32 before an EL 10x32?

Hi - can't speak for the 10x, but yup on the 8x. CA troubles me more than most other things, and the FL is just about CA - free. Hence my other recommendation of the Kowa, which is very close behind. A friend had a loan of an EL 8x32, which certainly had great merits, but i got CA in it -
I still think 10x32 is pushing the boundaries a little for the kind of birding i do, and is probably much more light-dependent with the 3.2mm EP.
The overall design of the 32mm FL suits me very well; eyecups, eye relief, focus, barrel-shape...sometimes you find something that was just made for you. Thus, i'm a little wary regarding any SF 32mm, as i bet it won't 'feel' the same.

Thanks for that J, much appreciated. What does the B19 mean against it?

Also, what does the "T" mean in the newer FL's and does it make a difference?

Hi,

you're welcome - don't know what the B19 is supposed to mean, I guess it's sth like an inventory or lot number with that vendor - all their used offerings have 2 or 4 digit numbers and some a B and a 2 digit number...

The T* sometimes listed with Zeiss West models refers to their latest multicoatings (as opposed to just T for singlecoatings). There's also P or P* which confusingly means the same - phase-coated. Even more confusingly Zeiss stopped to use the P designation some years ago due to the fact that all their roof models from at the time were phase coated.
With the FL line you can be quite sure that all models are phase-coated and have T* anti-refelction-coatings.

If I wanted to buy this, I would call the shop and ask for the serial number and then ask Zeiss support for the year of manufacture and maybe warranty status.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back