• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (30 Viewers)

video of the Buff Breasted Sandpiper

Fabulous footage of one the cutest waders in fresh condition. Just sad I was/am unable to see it in the flesh/feather.

Returning to Penny’s “Riddled with”: I am, with the unfriendly micro-organisms I clandestinely imported from Spain- inside me. They’re somewhat cramping (and painfully so, too) my current birding.

I await the analysis of samples sent to the Norfolk & Norwich- and I don’t mean Naturalists’ Trust, either.

Great footage! I think I shared the hide with you, I was the kid who took the underwing shots, I sat next to one of you for a while. It was great meeting you! Ill add some pics of the Buff-breasted once Ive sorted them out.

Sam
Hi Sam, yes I remember you you had some good photos as well look forward to seeing them

We arrived home this evening to find hundreds of gulls wheeling about above the house in Gorleston. The sky was full of them and it was a very impressive sight. There was obviously an influx of insects up there - maybe flying ants.

Ron

The perils of photography and retrospective ID . . .

. . . As demonstrated by these two photos of a male (Northern) Wheatear Oenanthe oenanthe, taken at Gramboro’ today.

I saw nothing odd about it at the time and always thought it to be the above; but, were I only to have obtained the LH pic, would have had several worried moments at what I’d missed, when reviewing my pix.

The black central tail-feathers are just obscured by the white ones.

Attachments

• 005pse.jpg
    005pse.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 003pse.jpg
    003pse.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 150
A walk around the Cromer, East Runton area yesterday morning produced a few nice sightings. Concentrating on the fields and scrub south of the A149, I noted about 20 Whitethroats, three Lesser Whitethroats, eight Blackcaps, 10 Chiffchaffs and one Garden Warbler. Highlight of the day was watching three Hobbies mobbing a Common Buzzard over Barn Plantation. The non-birding highlight of the day was sheltering under an apple tree to avoid a soaking from a heavy shower, whilst scrumping a couple of apples to eat and pass the time while I was there. There were dozens of windfall apples just lying there and wasting away which helped ease the guilt ;)
Two Bullfinches and lots of Chiffchaffs on Beeston Regis Common and lots of bargains to be had in the charity shops in Sheringham!

Today, a nice and irregular local sighting came in the form of a juvenile Marsh Harrier circling over Saxlingham Green.

Bit of along shot but while at Salthouse yesterday, someone borrowed my fz100 to compare to their fz38. Don't know if they're a member of this forum but if they are, I'd love to know the results.

Phil

It was I !

Once again, thanks, Phil. Nice to see the Great Arnold, too- no Sniping from him, yesterday.

I'm afraid that, as the reviews I'd read indicated, the comparator shots from my FZ38 were far sharper and had better colour. I must say, I was surprised just how better mine were.

It is so frustrating when manufacturers apparently 'upgrade' their products, only to have this sort of thing happen. The FZ100 has several admirable features, but I see no reason to change, yet.

In fact, I was getting even crisper pix with my old FZ50- until a 'kind' Spanish gent walked away with it at Jerèz Airport.

I'm afraid that, as the reviews I'd read indicated, the comparator shots from my FZ38 were far sharper and had better colour. I must say, I was surprised just how better mine were.

It is so frustrating when manufacturers apparently 'upgrade' their products, only to have this sort of thing happen. The FZ100 has several admirable features, but I see no reason to change, yet.

Interesting you mention that John. I chose the FZ45 for the same reasons as you state above. For £100 more than the FZ45 and FZ38 its just not worth it.

Once again, thanks, Phil. Nice to see the Great Arnold, too- no Sniping from him, yesterday.

In fact, I was getting even crisper pix with my old FZ50- until a 'kind' Spanish gent walked away with it at Jerèz Airport.

Hi John, nice to have met you. Interesting about the better image quality of the FZ38. I'd obviously read the same reviews as you and was sorely tempted by the FZ45 but was finally swayed by the HD Video (which is excellent) of the FZ100. Have been slightly disappointed by the image quality but then again, have taken a few shots that I'm delighted with, so maybe it's me rather than the camera. I think Panasonic are bringing out yet another updated version soon.
Had a good weekend with Arnold. Got Black Darters at Roydon, Chalkhill Blues at Warham Camp, a superb selection of waders at Cley and a few pints in the Dun Cow.B :)

Phil

Phil: If you drank as many pints as the relentless emoticon seems to indicate, I’m surprised you’re still alive, let alone conscious !

The FZ38 does good HD video, too; but, perhaps not at so great a magnification.

Now, I’d thought that the FZ45 was a cut-down FZ100. Am I wrong ?

As for the new model, Panasonic UK (http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...Z48/Overview/7902620/index.html?view=&angle=1) shows the FZ48, at about £350 (and available via a well-known and muscular female supplier at over £20 cheaper).

It now has a TFT screen NOT (something so useful for, e.g. insects), features a 10fps ‘burst mode’ and zooms to 46.9x OPTICALLY ! ! ! I think I’d need to have some support, at this mag.

These are what would persuade me to upgrade, were the image quality to be comparable to mine.

It is about 50gm lighter than the FZ45 and about 90gm heavier than the FZ38. Make of that what you will.

It looks as if it’s available now.

I will be MOST interested in the reviews. Just seen a couple, which are not encouraging. The Sony HX100 has been mentioned as best in category. Anyone know how good this ? Direct comparisons of image quality are a must.

Last edited:
Have you got any useful sightings/musings from Norfolk to report Zander?

Jim.

Only the fact that people consistently report any green parakeet as Ring-necked despite the fact that Norfolk & Suffolk has no breeding population of Ring-necked Parakeets, despite the fact that they are non-migratory and despite the fact that there are lots of other species of green parakeet kept in captivity and that frequently escape.

You wouldn't identify a fly-over unstreaked Acro from the car would you?

Titchwell August 23rd

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 6 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 200 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 40 on fresh marsh
Ringed plover – 65 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 east
Greater flamingo – escaped adult on grazing meadow

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread