• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the Alentejo in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Bert

Birdwatchingalentejo.com
Hi there,

Just found birdforum and I love it! I saw on the map that I´m now the third registered member in the Alentejo region of Portugal (I hope that there are more but can´t see them on the map).

By the way, I´m Dutch, living now for 13 years in the Alentejo and just opened the new website http://birdwatchingalentejo.com

It´s almost done and it can be used as a blog also.

But the main reason I joined here is that I need your help. I always loved birds and was always birding in Holland when I was younger.

But then one gets busy working etc. but now the time has come to enjoy bird watching again and I want to share this with others.

Regarding your help:

There are some real interesting species here but sometimes one can not be entirely sure. Therefor I bought a new digital camera yesterday and I will start shooting.

Now my big question is: Did I or did I not see the Spanish Imperial Eagle on my land. My friend, a lifelong bird watcher is 90 % sure but then I read everywhere that there are only 2, or others say 5 pairs, in Portugal.

So I will try to take a photo of it and although my site says we have the Spanish Imperial Eagle here I need to be 100 % sure.

We do life in a very remote area although close to a small town, but the nearest lights we can see at night are at a distance of 8 kilometers. And their are no car noises!

For those of you who want to explore this fantastic bird area please have a look at www.montehorizonte.com

Cya,

Monte

Last edited:
Hi Monte and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

I'm sure we will enjoy having you here. I can't help with the eagle though, perhaps if you post in the Bird ID forum and describe it it you can't get a picture.

D

Hi Monte! Welcome aboard :t:

Try and get a photo of what you have seen and then post a copy in the Bird Identification section. Our resident geniuses will sort things out pretty quickly ;)

Hi Monte and welcome to Birdforum.

It's not unknown to see Spanish Imperial Eagle in the Alentejo, I even managed a 1st year bird a couple of winter's ago when on holiday in Portugal, near Castro Verde.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back