• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Whilst watching Junior Football list.

Best tick ever today, watching Howden Clough U12's away at Meltham I was stunned to see an arctic tern purposefully fly over the pitch in a SW direction.:eek!:

Any Hudds birders reading this, the "contact us" part of your website still doesn't seem to be working.

For those interested Clough won 7-0. B :)

dipped the swift at filey. Saw Mike there and we were greeted with the news that it was a common and had gone. Did have a flyover Snow Bunting calling (with thanks to Brett Richards - neither Mike nor myself noticed it until Brett called it).

Filey: Been at least 6 Snow Bunts on the cliffs at Carr Naze for quite a while and others just to the north. They feed just under the cliff face so you were probably walking past them. Swifts: There were at least 2 swifts up and down Carr Naze today and possibly a third about 2kms up the north cliffs. After the initial sighting at 0700 a bird was relocated at around 0900 but soon after it was noted heading north from Carr Naze. I wandered north and saw one, probably a little north of where the Tip footpath meets the cliff top path. I headed up towards it but before I got there I got the call that a group was watching another swift sp. from Carr Naze roughly level with the Naze Pond. As I headed back south I bumped into a (possible) third swift sp. heading north low to the sea - whilst they were still watching the swift sp. at the Naze - we were in radio contact so no doubt about this. So at the very least two birds involved but quite likely three. Was there a Pallid among them? There was one, pale bird which caused a stir but even in very good light it was difficult to pick out all of the necessary features. Some people are still adamant there was a Pallid. There were lots of photos taken of at least one of the birds so maybe they'll reveal something later. If anyone out there has any shots it would a interesting to have a good look at them even if it reveals a young Common Swift.

Glossy Ibis was amenable today at Filey dams along with some great views of sparrowhawks. Got a shock when I nearly collided with a female hen harrier coming out of burton Fleming. Nice close views from the car. As I followed it up the thwing road before bailing out as it cut the fields. Bad shots of all on the blog

Ibis

Got a distant digiscope pic of the Ibis at Filey Dams this aft
GlossyIbis001edited.jpg

Got a shock when I nearly collided with a female hen harrier coming out of burton Fleming. Nice close views from the car. As I followed it up the thwing road before bailing out as it cut the fields.

Good record for the Wolds is that :t:
(Pallid would have been better :eek!:)

Filey Hoopoe: I believe the Hoopoe was actually in Hunmanby, which is outside the Filey recording area. Just received news tonight that the same bird, or perhaps another, was in the Glen Gardens area, Filey, on 25th October. Re the latter: Sounds like the observers weren't hardcore birders but that it was one. Didn't see either by the way.

Is either hoopoe still around? Need this bugger for my Yorkshire list, and I'm having a pop at the glossy in Filey tomorrow- be nice to detour and pick up a pink.

None of the Filey birders have seen the Hoopoe in the Glen Gardens area (to my knowledge) but it must be worth a look. It's underwatched despite being full of great habitat so you never know what (you) might turn up. No news of anything nearby that I'm aware of i.e outside the Filey area. Good luck with the GI.

None of the Filey birders have seen the Hoopoe in the Glen Gardens area (to my knowledge) but it must be worth a look. It's underwatched despite being full of great habitat so you never know what (you) might turn up. No news of anything nearby that I'm aware of i.e outside the Filey area. Good luck with the GI.

Was the Glossy Ibis present yesterday? If so for how long?

ID please

Confirmation on this wader please lads, friend of mine took it this w/end at Winterset. I think its a juv Dunlin.
Cheers Joe :t:

Attachments

• Juv Dunlin 1.jpg
    Juv Dunlin 1.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 126
I'd tend towards adW based on the hooded appearance. Juvs are usually paler but it could be a trick of the light. Nice inland bird either way

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back