• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Geoma ED/Opticron Imagic (1 Viewer)

mayoayo

Hello All.. i have a question ..i have a Vixen Geoma 80 ED angled spotting scope...same body as far as i know as the Opticron Imagic...now..is the Opticron Imagic an ED scope?..Are there ED and NON -ED versions available?...i wonder if both brands use the same body from the same manufacturer ,and different optics or if these two scopes are actually the same...??..i really like the scope...views are sharps,and color correction is superb...true ED performance...i use the vixen GLH48 zoom(same as the vixen LV Astronomy zoom..a really good zoom indeed),and a GL25(32x Wide angle in my scope)..close focus is about 24 feet with the 32x and it was 27 with the zoom..but i am using an adapter to set the zoom a bit higher in the scope and now im focussing at 18 feet...(NOT BAD!!!!)..anyway...i am just curious and obsessed about my optics!...thanks

Hello All.. i have a question ..i have a Vixen Geoma 80 ED angled spotting scope...same body as far as i know as the Opticron Imagic...now..is the Opticron Imagic an ED scope?..Are there ED and NON -ED versions available?...i wonder if both brands use the same body from the same manufacturer ,and different optics or if these two scopes are actually the same...??..i really like the scope...views are sharps,and color correction is superb...true ED performance...i use the vixen GLH48 zoom(same as the vixen LV Astronomy zoom..a really good zoom indeed),and a GL25(32x Wide angle in my scope)..close focus is about 24 feet with the 32x and it was 27 with the zoom..but i am using an adapter to set the zoom a bit higher in the scope and now im focussing at 18 feet...(NOT BAD!!!!)..anyway...i am just curious and obsessed about my optics!...thanks

Hello mayoayo.
My Opticron Imagic 80 is an ED model as
stated on the scope. Not all Imagics are.

young Ian.

Hi Young Ian...i went to the opticron web site,looking for the scoep,because i read i n another thread that vixen and opticron scopes are often the same models...but in the Opticron site,the only imagic model that they have,actually in the scope archives,is a non ED version...Are there more than one Imagic models,like older and newer versions?..the Vixen geoma series ,has two vrsions,the older that i have ,and a newer version called Geoma Pro.....How do you like the Opticron imagic ED?...i am quite happy with the performance , i think it has one of the more versatile mounts i have ever seen ,or imagined!!!!....Three different threads??????or actually two threads and a bayonet...you can use different eyepieces on it...i found already a cool compression ring adapter,and the digiscoping system is about the best i have seen...

HI Mayoaya,

There was both an Imagic 80 and Imagic 80 ed, Opticron discontinued the ED
version when they brought out the ES80 ga MK1 (which was ed) in about 2003? , i think. They continued with the Imagic 80 and 65 standard for some
time after. You can still buy an opticron Imagic 80 from 'london camera exchange' in the uk.

Steve

Thanks...i thought they must have made an ED version,but the only one opticron has posted in their site is the standard version..and i think you are right about the dates too..the scope i have seems a few years old..it is a great scope though!..great color correction and true ED performance in a super lightweight body.( i think i am going to post it for sale and i am preparing the path)..the truth about this scope is that it shows better color correction ,at least my unit,than my pentax PF65ED ...Oh i will tell the whole story about this scope soon....

Hello mayoayo,
Like yourself I find my' Imagic 80ED' a delightful
scope to use. When I acquired it, 24 months ago,
(second hand). It came with fixed 32x eyepiece which returned
such wonderful observations that I no desire to change the
set-up. However, after reading your notes. I now feel tempted
to experiment with other eyepieces. Because I was happy with
what I had. I didn't look too deeply into the eyepiece fittings.
Your observations:-

Three different threads??????or actually two threads and a bayonet...you can use different eyepieces on it...i found already a cool compression ring adapter,and the digiscoping system is about the best i have seen...[/QUOTE]

Impressed me a great deal. Please, can you explain what compression
ring adapter will enable me to do?

I also run a Pentax PF-80ED. Again,with which I'm highly delighted.
But I will show my ' Imagic' more respect in the future all because of
you. ( I always loved it anyway)

Most kindest regards,
young Ian.

Hi Ian...well...the mount on the scope features an internal thread,that fits the fixed 32X eyepiece by inserting and twisting...sort of a bayonet mount,,,then the small thread M35 and then the large thread M42.5....the M 35 thread shall actually work with the hyperion eyepieces,certainly it would with the zoom...i read in another thread that you had ,or have the hyperion zoom...i am sure it would work in the Imagic/geoma because this scope surpasses infinity focus by many turns,at the price of a somehow long near focus of 27 feet with the zoom...that is why i am using the adapter.My scope came with another zoom,i think the zoom was for the geoma 50 ed(same a sMighty midget).and this adapter sits on the small thread on top of the mount...by fitting the zoom on this adapter i get a close focus of 18 feet,and can get 15 if needed(loosing infinity )...Did you try the Baader zoom in this scope...?..If you still have it try to mount it fallowing the instructions as to mount in a celestron scope...i think it should work also with other hyperion eyepieces...is a very well corrected scope...the person that sold it ,was testing optics for a review ,since he works with optics as a optics engineer ..he thought that the scope glass might be made of FPL53,based in color correction,that is the best of Ohara Ed glass..i havent been able to confirm this with Vixen yet...the newer geoma scopes use Hoya glass ,for what vixen told me in an email.....

Also...how much do you think this scope would worth right now,with 20-60X zoom(vixen high quality)a high resolution Wide angle 32X and red dot finder included?....in the USA the vixen Geoma (US version)is not very popular ,i think i am going to post it in this site for sale ,i love this scope but i want a 60/65 or even a 50ED ,because i do all my birding by foot or bike,and i am all for compactness(i probably will miss the large aperture,though)

Also...how much do you think this scope would worth right now,with 20-60X zoom(vixen high quality)a high resolution Wide angle 32X and red dot finder included?....in the USA the vixen Geoma (US version)is not very popular ,i think i am going to post it in this site for sale ,i love this scope but i want a 60/65 or even a 50ED ,because i do all my birding by foot or bike,and i am all for compactness(i probably will miss the large aperture,though)

Hello mayoayo.
Sadly, the Hyperion doesn't fit as it
has the 1.25 sleeve fitment, too big to slip into
socket.
When you come to sell your Imagic.Should you
be prepared to sell your adaptors off separately.
I would be interested in purchasing them from you.
Sorry to say that I've no idea of value. £350-400?

Kind regards,
young Ian.

Ian...the Hyperion is made to fit 1 1/4 ,but also Zeiss zcopes and all the scopes with the Synta(manufacturer)mount...like the Celestron Ultima ED..but the Synta mount is either M35 or M42.5(not sure)..your unit must have the adapter rings included,as supplied by Baader...if you unscrew the 1.25 sleeve...the other threads shall appear!!!!see my attachment....If i sell the scope i will sell the adapter with it ,since it now holds the eyepiece in place...so you think £350 or £400 for the body only or the whole set-up....?

Attachments

• HyperionandZoomInstructions-Version2.pdf
    884 KB · Views: 225
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back