• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jpeg metadata - f numbers? (1 Viewer)

Hi, I'm using a 50D and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to see what the aperture was set at when I took a specific picture (after the picture is off my camera and just on the computer).

I know you can see what date the picture was taken, can you somehow see other stuff like the f-number and shutter speed as well?

Thanks

Hi
I don`t know the 50d,but on my 350d if you right click on the photo in Zoom browser and click properties it will give you what you want.

If you duplicate the pic and then use "Save" as opposed to "Save as" there should be all the info you need depending on your photographic software.

The specific metadata area where that info is stored is called EXIF. Most image viewers will show you the EXIF area if you ask for info about the file.

I use this Free software, Opanda IExif (Exif/GPS/IPTC) Viewer, you can right click any image in the gallery and see the data of the image, as long as they have left the Exif in the image, I would say 50% of the posters do, I do, why the others don't is a mystery to me.

as long as they have left the Exif in the image, I would say 50% of the posters do, I do, why the others don't is a mystery to me.
No big mystery, certain pieces of software strips the EXIF when saving as a jpeg - for example 'save for the web' in PS. I personally use 'save as' which keeps the EXIF but for anyone who uses the 'save for the web' dialog the EXIF will be stripped (presumable to reduce the file size).

What I meant by that, I do think some posters do it deliberately to hide their settings, Roy I can't see saving space comes into it, because it would just be so infinitesimal, when you think a raw file starts off at 16mg.......

Conspiracy theories about EXIF data now? Stripping it saves a fair few kb, which means you can compress an image less when uploading to site with file size limits. Some people just don't see it as necessary, so they don't keep it. A lot of people don't know it exists, and as Roy says, a lot of programmes will strip images of EXIF without people knowing.

I do use the "Save for Web",as it gives the the correct file size for BF etc,therefore I do lose the exif data.So,if I use "save as",how can I determine the file size?

Conspiracy theories about EXIF data now? Stripping it saves a fair few kb, which means you can compress an image less when uploading to site with file size limits. Some people just don't see it as necessary, so they don't keep it. A lot of people don't know it exists, and as Roy says, a lot of programmes will strip images of EXIF without people knowing.

If you look at most posters file size they are around usually 100k and you can adjust this size when you are doing save as, I always thought that saving a file save as kept the integrity of the file, and you would not lose important detail ? What is the % difference in kb if you save for web as opposed to save as ? not alot I would guess, I just think its important data that should be shared.

Perhaps it would be nice for those who don't know to become aware of it through this thread

I don't want to start a war just a discussion. I am here to learn....

I do use the "Save for Web",as it gives the the correct file size for BF etc,therefore I do lose the exif data.So,if I use "save as",how can I determine the file size?
You certainly can in PS Christine. When you 'save as' a jpeg you get a quality dialogue come up which also shows you the file size at any particular quality setting setting - all I do is to change the quality slider until I get the file size I want.

If you look at most posters file size they are around usually 100k and you can adjust this size when you are doing save as, I always thought that saving a file save as kept the integrity of the file, and you would not lose important detail ? What is the % difference in kb if you save for web as opposed to save as ? not alot I would guess, I just think its important data that should be shared.
All I said was that the EXIF data is stripped to presumably to reduce the file size, if you are not happy with that you had better take it up with Adobe!

You said it was a mystery to you as to why the EXIF is not there and all I did was to solve your mystery by telling you how it occurred.

All I said was that the EXIF data is stripped to presumably to reduce the file size, if you are not happy with that you had better take it up with Adobe!

You said it was a mystery to you as to why the EXIF is not there and all I did was to solve your mystery by telling you how it occurred.

I am not having a go at you Roy, please I would not do that. I just like to put a twist in to get more discussion. You should know me by now.

Look you can see christineredgate has learnt something new and I have no doubt that 50 lurkers have as well, not everyone will post here thats for sure.

I will go back to sleep now, please Roy no offence was meant or taken as I told you before my skin is thick as a Rhino. :cat: :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back