• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird 'personality' quiz (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

Now I have just come up with another random idea! You know how kids go round doing quizzes like xbox 360 or ps3 and I'm a celeb or big brother (meaning which they prefer), well I thought I could create a rarity version (UK rarities).
I will ask a series of .... or .... questions and you will answer with which British rarity you would rather see and then (somehow...?) I will tell you your birding personality but thats not really the point its just for the fun of the questions.
Have fun
Round 1:
1 Collared Pratincole or Black winged Stilt?
2 Hawk Owl or Auduion's Gull?
3 Ross' Gull or White-winged Black Tern?
4 Black Duck or Marbled Duck?
5 Green-winged Teal or American Wigeon?
6 Crane or Spoonbill?
7 White Stork or Cattle Egret?
8 Great-white Egret or Purple Heron?
9 Wilson's Phalarope or Semi-palmated Sandpiper
10 Squacco Heron or Little Bittern?
Bonus question for this round:
Which first for britain?
Wandering Albatross or Willet?

Last edited:
OK, here goes...

1. Collared Prat
2. Hawk Owl
3. Ross' Gull
4. Black Duck
5. Am Wigeon
6. Crane
7. White Stork
8. Purple Heron
9. Wilson's Phal
10. Little Bittern

FYI, 9 and 10 gave me the most head-scratching! The others are part what looks nicest (to my eyes), and part based on what I've seen least of.

1st for Britain - got to be Albert Ross!

looking forward to my "profile"...

Mark

1. the prat
2. the owl
3. the gull
4. black duck
5. yankie wige
6. crane
7. egret
8. egret
9. phalarope
10. and the squacco please.......actually just changed my mind lil bitt please:t:
hmmm, albatross again please,
whats my personality?

Last edited:
Round 1:
1 Collared Pratincole
2 Hawk Owl
3 White-winged Black Tern
4 Black Duck
5 American Wigeon
6 Crane
7 White Stork
8 Purple Heron
9 Wilson's Phalarope
10 Squacco Heron
Bonus question for this round:
Which first for britain?
Wandering Albatross - cos i am not familiar with Willet

Excellent... nice choices.
Now the hard part ok... here is my dismal attempt at giving you your birding 'personality'. This is quite hard considering I don't really know what you've seen before and which birds you naturally 'prefer'.

MSA You are the type of birder who will go for the rarest species, if you already have both on your list then you would go fo the most colourful one with more complicated markings eg Purple Heron against Egret- this is shown very clearly on 9 and 10 where you said it was a hard decision on 9 you went for the Wilson's Phal so colour wins there. On probably the toughest one- 10 you went for the Little Bittern which is a slightly more sough-after species than the more twichable Squacco, meaning that you want to get a list with the more exciting and hard species on it to gain a reputation within the birding community.
PERSONALITY: VARIETY CHASER
On-firecrest
You like birds with a unique quality to them, that dstinguishes them from other birds, for example you chose the egrets, meaning that you find pure white, elegant birds more attractive than colourful birds with intricate markings. Like MSA you eventually went for the Little Bittern because (presumably) it has more interesting markings (in my opinion rather 'hi-tech') rather than one or two block colours. Also this is a more sought after species, so this may be another reason.
PERSONALITY: ELEGANCE CHASER

and finally rezMOLE:
You went for almost exactly the same choices as MSA so I cannot really give much new here. You went for the Squacco rather than the Little Bittern, this may be because so have a personal preference for this species or you have seen a Little Bittern and not a Squacco, I cannot tell. You also went for the Tern, suggesting you prefer contrasing colours on a bird than a single colour like the white of the Ross' Gull.
PERSONALITY: Likes colour- wants what you think is more attracitve rather than pressure from others

You all went for the Albatross, this must be because it is an impressive, excting and very different bird from anything else you will see in Britain. The Williet is less familiar to most of you and looks similar to other Waders, showing that you are all after more thrill than rarity.

I hope these pathetic attempts are OK!

Feel free to have a go at the quiz

Last edited:
Nice Idea, DB.
Here are my choices:
1 Collared Pratincole
2 Hawk Owl
4 Black Duck
5 American Wigeon
6 Crane
7 Cattle Egret
8 Great-white Egret
9 Semi-palmated Sandpiper
10 Little Bittern

Defininitely the Albatross

1 Black winged Stilt
2 Auduion's Gull
3 Ross's Gull
4 Marbled Duck
5 Green-winged Teal
6 Spoonbill
7 White Stork
8 Purple Heron
9 Wilson's Phalarope
10 Little Bittern

Wandering Albatross

FFS how can anyone choose WWBT (superabundant and very widespread and not even classed as a rarity in Britain anymore) over Ross's Gull (a high arctic gem that's still extremely rare anywhere south of the Arctic circle and, what's more, sometimes bright pink)?

This is so wrong its making my head spin.

Rob

FFS how can anyone choose WWBT (superabundant and very widespread and not even classed as a rarity in Britain anymore) over Ross's Gull (a high arctic gem that's still extremely rare anywhere south of the Arctic circle and, what's more, sometimes bright pink)?

Rob

LOL. I'm not that into Gulls (except Audouin's - they're lovely but I've seen them) and I still haven't seen a White-Winged Black Tern.

I think the whole point of the quiz is picking out the rareophiles. :)

I think my profile of "variety chaser" ain't too far off the mark, but "chaser" is a bit strong - my UK list has hovered just below 400 for so long now I'd be embarrassed if I was a twitching type! I went for the Murrelet last year (put me on 396 life list) but have studiously ignored all temptations since then (WTE was not a new bird, and it was "local"). Seen quite a few on the list on my local patch (Stilt, WW Black Tern, Marbled Duck, GW Teal, Spoonbill, Cattle and GW Egret, Wilson's Phal) and most of the others elsewhere, so it was purely a choice of what species I'd like to look at anywhere. Ross' Gull is a bit of a niggle, as one summered on local patch just before I started birding....

I see this personality aspect not so much as to which bird is rarer, but more "which bird have you seen and which bird have you not seen". I would rather see the one that I have not seen.

1 Collared Pratincole
2 Hawk Owl
4 Marbled Duck
5 American Wigeon
6 Crane
7 White Stork
8 Purple Heron
9 Wilson's Phalarope
10 Little Bittern

Wandering Albatross

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies.
As MSA pointed out these 'personalities' aren't that accurate because I'm just working off a list of birds so forgive me if they don't fit.
Helenelizabeth2:
You have mostly gone for the exotic looking species (apart form the Wilson's Phalarope, and seeing you live in Peterborough I reckon you got the Grafham Water bird and would rather see the sand rather than another Wilson's) once again suggesting you like birds that don't look too similar to what we already have here eg American Wigeon is more different to Wigeon than Green-winged Teal is to Teal. You went for the Egrets backing up my theory that you would be more interested in pure white majestic birds than ones with colouration on them.
Personality: Go for what's prettiest unless you've seen it recently
Larry Lade: Most of your choices are of the more exotic, colourful looking birds rather than the ones with block colour so its not so much majesty you like its subtlty and unusual markings (?). You went for the Gull rather than the Owl suggesting you are interested in globally rare species.
Personality: Rare and exotic
Teamsaint:
Very strongly towards the exciting, hyped up and sought after species. Once again more colour than pure white elegance.
Personality: Interested in seeing the exciting, exotic species rather than what other people say is rarer and better to have.

Round two coming up

Which would you rather see?
1 Raddes or Dusky Warbler?
2 Pacific Diver or Red-necked Nightjar?
3 Snowy Egret or Great-Blue Heron
4 Little Swift or White-rumped Swift
5 Alpine or Pallid Swift
6 Hoopoe or Night Heron
7 Booted or Short-toed Eagle?
8 Snowy Owl or Killdeer?
9 Tawny or Richard's Pipit?
10 Dark-eyed Junco or Red-eyed Vireo?
Bonus question: Which extinct bird would you rather re-discover:
Passenger Pigeon or Greak Auk?

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies.
As MSA pointed out these 'personalities' aren't that accurate because I'm just working off a list of birds so forgive me if they don't fit.
Helenelizabeth2:
You have mostly gone for the exotic looking species (apart form the Wilson's Phalarope, and seeing you live in Peterborough I reckon you got the Grafham Water bird and would rather see the sand rather than another Wilson's) once again suggesting you like birds that don't look too similar to what we already have here eg American Wigeon is more different to Wigeon than Green-winged Teal is to Teal. You went for the Egrets backing up my theory that you would be more interested in pure white majestic birds than ones with colouration on them.
Personality: Go for what's prettiest unless you've seen it recently

Very accurate, DB. Thank you. Just a note - I did see the WP at Grafham but let us not forget that it also honoured the PBC area, spending a few days at the Nene Washes as it moved on. Hence it's on my PBC list too. Yay. :)

Which would you rather see?
1 Raddes or Dusky Warbler?
2 Pacific Diver or Red-necked Nightjar?
3 Snowy Egret or Great-Blue Heron
4 Little Swift or White-rumped Swift
5 Alpine or Pallid Swift
6 Hoopoe or Night Heron
7 Booted or Short-toed Eagle?
8 Snowy Owl or Killdeer?
9 Tawny or Richard's Pipit?
10 Dark-eyed Junco or Red-eyed Vireo?
Bonus question: Which extinct bird would you rather re-discover:
Passenger Pigeon or Greak Auk?

1.raddes
2.red neck
3.egret
4.little
5.alpine
6.hoopoe
7.short toed (more likely to be accepted)
8.owl
9.tawny
10.junkie
bonus- great auk

Think I ought to have a go at round 2.

1. Raddes Warbler
2. Red-necked Nightjar
3. Snowy Egret
4. Little Swift
5. Pallid Swift
6. Night Heron
7. Short-toed Eagle
8. Snowy Owl
9. Tawny Pipit
10. Red-eyed Vireo

Great Auk

Cheers,

Connor

Rob

Where are WWBT superabundant and very widespread inthe UK!?!

OK thanks for replying:
Steve: You go for the rarest most exotic species which are most likely to be tickable
Connor: You are going for the more showy, attractive birds and prbably the birds that you have seen least of. I'm guessing you wanted the Short toed more thnan the Booted because there is more chance of its acceptance. So like many others you mostly go for the rarest most exotic species with the most chance of accetance and seeing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back