• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Announcing the December 2006 theme challenge - Holiday Card (1 Viewer)

IanF

It's that time of the year again so the theme this month is 'Holiday Card'.

It's a chance for everyone to enter whether you be more inclined to artwork or with camera.

Your entry may be either a painting/drawing or a photograph - of a bird or birds which must feature prominently as the main subject matter however graphics, borders, text etc, can be added if you wish.

Rules -

1. Entry must be your own work - either a photograph or a painting/drawing.
2. One entry per member.​
3. Entry to be uploaded between December 1st-21st midnight GMT.​
4. The entry must include a wild bird(s) as the main subject matter.​
5. Once uploaded it is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another, however you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your entry meets criteria.​
6. The entry must not have previously been submitted in a competition on this site.​
7. Details of photo equipment if used to be included or artistic medium used if drawn i.e. pastel crayon, pencil, acrylic etc...​
8. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery.​

Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

On closing of the competition entries will be moved to the appropriate Gallery Forum.

Limits on image size and kb are determined by the Gallery limits.

Comments on entries are permitted.​

A voting booth will be posted after December 21st.

Any queries about this month's competition - please post below.

For anyone interested in this comp,if you read Practical Photography Mag,the Dec issue,there is a section re making a xmas card.You make your own card re a large sheet of paper,add your Xmas artefacts,then take a photo of same,and hey presto,one has a Xmas card.Looks very simple but effective.

"holiday card"

Hi all, don`t wish to sound anal in any way at all or pledge allegiance to any particular belief, but do we have to call it Holiday card?. This is the UK & we are supposed to celebrate Christmas. Sorry Xmas.

rob lee said:
Hi all, don`t wish to sound anal in any way at all or pledge allegiance to any particular belief, but do we have to call it Holiday card?. This is the UK & we are supposed to celebrate Christmas. Sorry Xmas.
I know where you're coming form - you may be a UK member of Christian belief - but many UK members follow other religions and in addition we aren't just a UK or even USA site.

We have members from all around the World from every nationality and religion. Every member whatever their background is obviously aware it's Christmas time and that it doesn't hold the religious connotation it once did - but really religion or not it's simply a 'holiday period' - hence the theme title.

It may be better in future to simply drop this as a theme - the main attraction though is not the religious connection - more the suitability for members more inclined to graphic skills as opposed to only photographic.

IanF said:
- the main attraction though is not the religious connection - more the suitability for members more inclined to graphic skills as opposed to only photographic.
Thanks Ian and bf staff!

Woody

IanF said:
I know where you're coming form - you may be a UK member of Christian belief - but many UK members follow other religions and in addition we aren't just a UK or even USA site.

We have members from all around the World from every nationality and religion. Every member whatever their background is obviously aware it's Christmas time and that it doesn't hold the religious connotation it once did - but really religion or not it's simply a 'holiday period' - hence the theme title.

It may be better in future to simply drop this as a theme - the main attraction though is not the religious connection - more the suitability for members more inclined to graphic skills as opposed to only photographic.
Ian,you cannot drop this as the December comp theme.It is my fav one for viewing.the entries are so stunning,and so imaginative.

I agree, with Christine. I've been looking forward to this theme ever since I joined - not because I expect to enter, rather get some good ideas. As I have no imagination of my own I must steal, err appropriate, hmm borrow might be a better word from others. ;)

Last edited:
Ian, don't drop it. Woody, Christine and Lisa are all right. I'm not a christian and it doesn't bother me to have this theme for the December contest. Maybe I'll even put up an entry. Besides, I know not to which god the birds pray. Maybe to all of them.

Daniesser said:
Ian, don't drop it. Woody, Christine and Lisa are all right. I'm not a christian and it doesn't bother me to have this theme for the December contest. Maybe I'll even put up an entry. Besides, I know not to which god the birds pray. Maybe to all of them.
Ian same here dont drop it -religion isnt the issue-i celebrate Xmas with my children in my Christian friends house even though i am of Sikh faith-last year went caroling with the children of my town and made sure all house gave some things to the kids even though my country is a Muslim counrty we believe and respect all religions.Xmas have become a holiday for all RACES and yet knowing it is a Day of Christians it has become a symbol of unity for all races and Dont forget All Faith Holidays are a Symbol of UNITY FOR MANKIND.
Dont you dare drop it...grrr or this Singh will declare WAR ;) on. :D ... :t:

Dr Manjeet Singh said:
Ian same here dont drop it -religion isnt the issue-i celebrate Xmas with my children in my Christian friends house even though i am of Sikh faith-last year went caroling with the children of my town and made sure all house gave some things to the kids even though my country is a Muslim counrty we believe and respect all religions.Xmas have become a holiday for all RACES and yet knowing it is a Day of Christians it has become a symbol of unity for all races and Dont forget All Faith Holidays are a Symbol of UNITY FOR MANKIND.
Dont you dare drop it...grrr or this Singh will declare WAR ;) on. :D ... :t:

Well said Manjeet and Daniesser.

I agree with every word apart from declaring war on Ian :eek!: , I've already got most of his presents for Birthday & Christmas. Mind you the insurance money might come in handy ;)

Sandra (Taylor) said:
That's a 'holiday card' please? Something taken on holiday? Never heard that expression before.

Sandra
It's the same theme we've run for the last few years in December - this years - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=72889

A Christian would call it 'Christmas Card' but in these days of political correctness gone daft, some perceive that using such a title may cause offence to people of other religious beliefs. Whether a Christian or not this time of year is a holiday in many areas of the world - hence the name - 'Holiday Card'.

Even some providers of 'e-cards' have adopted the expression this year.

IanF said:
It's the same theme we've run for the last few years in December - this years - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=72889

A Christian would call it 'Christmas Card' but in these days of political correctness gone daft, some perceive that using such a title may cause offence to people of other religious beliefs. Whether a Christian or not this time of year is a holiday in many areas of the world - hence the name - 'Holiday Card'.

Even some providers of 'e-cards' have adopted the expression this year.

What a load of b******s . I'm so disappointed that you've gone with the PC correctness - they're Christmas cards! I wish all others with different religious beliefs a very happy Christmas and I'm sure they won't take offence at that.

S

Sandra (Taylor) said:
What a load of b******s . I'm so disappointed that you've gone with the PC correctness - they're Christmas cards! I wish all others with different religious beliefs a very happy Christmas and I'm sure they won't take offence at that.

S

You can get off you soapbox now San.

Love just love your turn of phrase. What a load of b******s .

Last edited:
Sandra (Taylor) said:

S

So, what happened to 'Birds & Man'? One person complains about the term 'man' & that's another excellent catergory gone.

Dave J

and another thing, I wished everyone a happy Diwali & a happy Ramadan. Is that now banned?

Last edited:
redeyedvideo said:
So, what happened to 'Birds & Man'? One person complains about the term 'man' & that's another excellent catergory gone.

Dave J

and another thing, I wished everyone a happy Diwali & a happy Ramadan. Is that now banned?
I can appreciate the feelings of some members, but the bottom line is that Bird Forum caters for people the World over whatever their gender, race or beliefs - likewise the monthly competition themes attempt to cater for the multicultural World.

Whilst we take into account any members views, as everyone is entitled to an opinion, we rarely react one the basis of just one individual as this post implies!

Just goes to prove you can't please all the members all of the time!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back