• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Low Light 8 X 32 Binocular (1 Viewer)

I just spent two weeks in the wilds of Costa Rica and can tell you that a good 32 [Conquest HD] is consistently outgunned by a good 42 [HT] - for brightness, veiling glare, contrast, ease of view etc. I was pretty amazed at how much better the 42 was at seeing detail in the canopy, especially when light was adverse.

Maybe for ''regular birding'' use a good 32 will fit the bill, but as a one-and-only, in the toughest viewing conditions, I need a good 42.

In that vein, I would say that any 32 mm binoc. is not the best birding binocular in the world................cue Dennis.;)

Terry Wieland... qualified it by saying that the 8x32 had to be top quality also saying that "Cheap binoculars wear out good hunting boots!"

Bob

As a non-hunter smack in the middle of hunting country I see the logic (and HUMOR) in that!

David

I just spent two weeks in the wilds of Costa Rica and can tell you that a good 32 [Conquest HD] is consistently outgunned by a good 42 [HT] - for brightness, veiling glare, contrast, ease of view etc. I was pretty amazed at how much better the 42 was at seeing detail in the canopy, especially when light was adverse.

Maybe for ''regular birding'' use a good 32 will fit the bill, but as a one-and-only, in the toughest viewing conditions, I need a good 42.

In that vein, I would say that any 32 mm binoc. is not the best birding binocular in the world................cue Dennis.;)

Have to concur with that.

The best 32mm bins will beat many mid-table 42mm bins... but the best 42mm will outperform them every time. When I'm ambling around the patch, or packing light for a trip I'll consider a (good) smaller binocular for convenience... but when the chips are down I'll pretty much always reach for my 42mm SLC HD.

Almost every guide I have had in Costa Rica has had a 32mm mostly Leica Trinovids. That tells you something. I have never felt I needed more aperture under the canopy. As long as that aperture has Swaro coatings on it. It depends on your age somewhat also. You are comparing a mid-tier 32mm to an alpha 42mm also which is not a valid comparison. Of course you are going to see more detail with an HT than a Conquest HD I don't care what the aperture is.

Last edited:
Just my opinion [and what I see in the field], but I would think the 8.5x42 SV would have some of the same advantages over the 32 SV.

If there was no advantage to a 42 mm, then no one would buy one and they wouldn't even bother producing them. There is a big difference between the ''easiest to carry binocular'' or ''most convenient binocular'' as opposed to the ''best birding binocular.''

I'm sure some people [that can handle them] would say a good 8x56 trumps them all...........

best low light 8 x 32 binocular

What is the best low light 8 x 32 binocular? I will be using it in mountains and deserts.

I cannot speak for the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD bins but I have experience of the Zeiss 8x32 FL and the Swarovski Swarovision 8x32 EL.

I bought the Zeiss 8x32 FL and was very pleased with the optics and feel and balance which were excellent. Unfortunately I found the focus wheel stiffer than I liked and perhaps because of this there was also a tendency for the focus wheel, which is made of soft-ish rubber, to ease out causing the dioptre adjustment to be lost. I subsequently found that these issues have been reported by other users. So with some regret I had to send the Zeiss 8x32s back and replace them with the Swarovski Swarovision 8x32 EL. These I have found to be excellent, their optical clarity, lightness and handling make these the bins the ones that I use during most of the day. The only criticism I would make is reserved for the case which although well made, is rather large and cavernous for a small light pair of bins and also has dual zip fastening which I find more fiddly that the single clasp on the Zeiss case.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back