• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss below Terra? (1 Viewer)

I agree with all you have above, Lee. Zeiss needs to work at refining the Terra brand before trying anything lesser - and I think anything lesser would be a very bad idea.

The Terra is really as low as the company should go. At the price point, it is a capable but not outstanding performer. My view would be that Zeiss should massage the Terra to be the definitive $350.00 binocular, not only better made than any competition but optically clearly better as well. Personally, I think a small uptick in price, along with better ED glass and coatings would be the way to go, not down the price / quality scale.

That said, I think Zeiss have been successful in their execution of the Terra. I use mine for really rough bushwhacking, for field surveys and two colleagues have since purchased the Terra after trying mine, discovering the price and realizing they could get a ''Zeiss.''

I'm with PT on this James: I think you have summed it up nicely.

Terra is really a work-in-progress as you hinted with a request for future ED glass and coatings upgrades, and Terra is crying out for 32mm variants not least to attract hikers, back-packers, canoeists and tourists etc with compact dimensions. This is where Zeiss needs to finish the current Terra job and start thinking about the next Terra, delving into lower classes could be a diversion too many.

It appears that for once there has been a rapid consensus on BF :eek!:

Lee

Last edited:
I would agree as well and would love to see a nice 400+ foot field of view Terra 8x32 for $20-$30 less than the 42s.

I would agree as well and would love to see a nice 400+ foot field of view Terra 8x32 for $20-$30 less than the 42s.

Frank

Lets call it $70 less (same as the difference between Conq HD 42 and 32) and you've got a deal o:)

All it needs now is Mike to say yes!

Lee

Frank

Lets call it $70 less (same as the difference between Conq HD 42 and 32) and you've got a deal o:)

All it needs now is Mike to say yes!

Lee

For a street price of $225 or even $250 you may be bumping up against the reality of not being able to supply a product of consistent quality. There may be stellar examples and there may be some not so stellar. We wont hear much about the stellar ones, but the not so stellar will be plastered on every forum and review site.

Brick and mortar stores probably want to see a 50% markup to keep the doors open, then Zeiss needs to make enough return on capitol to pay for R&D, merchandising, investment and interest, employee wages and all the stuff that goes with running a company.

Plus you have to be pretty careful with what you divulge to the off shore supplier, most people I know who have moved production to China quickly found theirself facing competition that were direct knock offs of their product with all the same technology down to parts being interchangable.

Hermann - I'm quite confident the Terra hasn't sullied Zeiss' reputation. Like Lee and others I'm waiting for the Terra 8x32 and more compact binoculars to be created. John

For a street price of $225 or even $250 you may be bumping up against the reality of not being able to supply a product of consistent quality. There may be stellar examples and there may be some not so stellar. We wont hear much about the stellar ones, but the not so stellar will be plastered on every forum and review site.

Brick and mortar stores probably want to see a 50% markup to keep the doors open, then Zeiss needs to make enough return on capitol to pay for R&D, merchandising, investment and interest, employee wages and all the stuff that goes with running a company.

Plus you have to be pretty careful with what you divulge to the off shore supplier, most people I know who have moved production to China quickly found theirself facing competition that were direct knock offs of their product with all the same technology down to parts being interchangable.

Yes PT and the local Zeiss company has to buy these bins from the parent company and make a profit.

The banter with Frank was just us joshing about and we were talking about 32mm Terra EDs not the theoretical sub-Terra model.

Lee

Last edited:
Yes PT and the local Zeiss company has to buy these bins from the parent company and make a profit.

The banter with Frank was just us joshing about and we were talking about 32mm Terra EDs not the theoretical sub-Terra model.

Lee

Ditto. I would love to see a Terra 32 with the specs and price I illustrated earlier.

Ditto. I would love to see a Terra 32 with the specs and price I illustrated earlier.

But with a slower focuser. Slower? Isn't that so retro? Well, I'm not talking pokey focuser on the original EL, but from what I've read about the Terra, the focuser would be too fast for my taste, which is why I have shunned it even though I support Zeiss's efforts to make an affordable bin for the rest of us.

Besides, longer replacement eyecups will soon be available for the 8x42 Conquest HD. If there's another great deal on AWD, that model will now be worth considering. I don't find midsized roofs appealing, because they are usually too small for my hands and the 3-D effect is even lower than in the 8x42 model.

After this long, cold and wet winter, which we're currently getting a brief respite from, I can see the value in having a roof prism bin, particularly one with Zeiss LotuTec, even though I have to a trade off the 3-D effect and better depth perception.

Brock

Zeiss has a quite clear 3 tier strategy that I think most understand. I can say that we strive and work to be "best in class" within these 3 tier group. A 4th tier (lower) is not in the plan. However, a 4th tier (above) ...... ???? Now that would be intresting :)

Zeiss has a quite clear 3 tier strategy that I think most understand. I can say that we strive and work to be "best in class" within these 3 tier group. A 4th tier (lower) is not in the plan. However, a 4th tier (above) ...... ???? Now that would be intresting :)

Mr Jensen

Do you have a degree in psychological torture?
I think your post meets the criteria of the United Nations definition of 'cruel and inhuman' treatment :eek!:.

What would you call a new tier directly above Victory, which is above Conquest?

The most obvious would be 'Triumph' but BMW owns that one although they might allow a fellow German company to use it for non-automotive purposes.

I foresee unforeseeable amounts of solidly based speculation :-O

Lee

No 4th tier below the Terras- good. A company like Zeiss doesn't really need to compete with all the junk that's flooding the markets worldwide. Nor should it.

A tier above the HT - that would sure be interesting. Wider fields of view (AFOV >70 degrees) are the obvious way to go. And using porro prisms of some type to avoid complex dielectric coatings and phase coatings with all their inherent problems.

Since making high quality roof prims is also difficult and thus costly, avoiding roof prisms may also avoid the prices going through the roof ... ;) ;)

Hermann

Boy, that could be interesting! A no-holds barred, cost-is-no-option binocular - something like a modern version of the 15x60 BGAT and the 20x60S - would be too expensive for many but would give us hours of fun in speculation....

I don't see why a big and profitable company like Zeiss couldn't do this - build something to the limits of what can be done - even if it proves to be so costly that very few ever sell. I would sure aspire to something like this more so than a ''cheaper'' Terra, which just takes the brand further down market.

Boy, that could be interesting! A no-holds barred, cost-is-no-option binocular - something like a modern version of the 15x60 BGAT and the 20x60S - would be too expensive for many but would give us hours of fun in speculation....

I don't see why a big and profitable company like Zeiss couldn't do this - build something to the limits of what can be done - even if it proves to be so costly that very few ever sell. I would sure aspire to something like this more so than a ''cheaper'' Terra, which just takes the brand further down market.

Would certainly define alpha

New category? Uber Alpha?

No, alpha is a relative term. But the older naming system for quality/performance might need a new modifier. We used to refer to top-end binoculars as "premium" binoculars, but then with the Nikon Venturer LX and especially later with the Swarovski EL, people sometimes referred to them as "ultra-premium" binoculars. This would be a category above that.

--AP

I just love these bino threads. Hope the passion and opinions never slacken off.

Anyway, I just gave away my binos. Do it all the time. I can always get another pair and the recipients get something better than they have so - can earn a better living as guides. My wife gets pissed (angry) but it passes.

My latest were Vanguard 8.5 x 45's. Had them for about 6 months. They're in Nepal now. I've dropped from buying $600.00 jobs - for $350.00 ones. So, how about these Terra's? I wear glasses and need max eye relief. It's a 4 hour drive (to Mendocino) where there's a store with many brands. Don't feel like driving. Still jet lagged anyway.

I love birding - but am less nutty than I used to be about it. Now I enjoy stalking with a small point and shoot. So - I'd love any thoughts on $350.00 jobs. Thanks, Chris.

Attachments

• 143a.jpg
    143a.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 39
Chris,

I think you would enjoy the Terra 8x42s. I don't remember there being any issue with eye relief and these.

Were you looking for other suggestions as well?

Chris,

I think you would enjoy the Terra 8x42s. I don't remember there being any issue with eye relief and these.

Were you looking for other suggestions as well?

Sure. I'm up for anything. My wife is also pissed at me for taking too much Valium on the flight home. Kinda' got a tad slurry. Here's some photos from last week. Last one is said wife. Can easily kick my ass!

Attachments

• 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 330a.jpg
    330a.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 308.jpg
    308.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 347a.jpg
    347a.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 340.jpg
    340.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back