• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger camera traps (1 Viewer)

Are they safe to leave in the rain?

I would love to see what is out there which we dont see so yes my interests say buy this cam.

Mine has been out in very heavy rain and blizzard conditions and is none the worse for it. The last time I collected it it had a pile of snow on top but there was no moisture inside and never has been. If it's wet on the outside, just wipe dry before you open it. Mine didn't like recent low temperatures of about -10, but that might also have been due to low battery power.

I would say go for it, mine is worth every penny. It is addictive and makes you think a bit deeper about what's around. I thought I was pretty good at tracks and signs before, but the camera has made me look even closer to decide where the action will be at that particular time. It's a bit of an art I think, takes a lot of practice but I know every time I put it out I am learning something new. The only frustrating thing is there are so many animals and places I want to film and I only have one!

I do understand the positive side of it. I might never see certain wild animals in remote places but my camera trap might.

How long do the batteries last for?

Is it easy to operate?

What accessories do I need to buy with it, which do not come with the camera?

Battery life depends entirely on how much you use it, the settings it is on and, presumably, weather conditions (ie temperature). Like I said mine lasted only 5 weeks, but a lot of that time it was set to take high quality 1 minute videos in low temperatures which I imagine is quite far along the battery draining scale. Bushnell say it can last up to a year on one set. Next time I'll be a bit more frugal, maybe 30 second videos or less, and I'm sure it'll last much longer.

It is extremely easy to use and set up, just push a few buttons for the settings you want (stills or videos at various qualities and time intervals), strap to a tree and switch it on.

The essential extras are batteries and an SD card. It comes with a long strap, however I also bought a thin tape measure style bike lock for a little extra security. Bushnell also sell a security box to go with it, but I think that would also have the disadvantage of making it more conspicuous. On it's own, it is very small and blends in well.

Does the security case just keep it safe from inquisitve animals or can it keep it secure so that any human who comes across it wont be able to take it?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back