• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buterflies of Croatia 3. (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Only a few more to endure, this time Bath White, Clouded Yellow, Comma,
Grayling and Wall Brown.

James.

Attachments

• 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 163.JPG
    163.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 179.JPG
    179.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 175.JPG
    175.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 218.JPG
    218.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 58
Again #1, #2, 3 & #5 agree, also agree #4 is a Grayling but which one! My guess would probably be Woodland ...

Shane

Hi again, this butterfly was not having a good day, having been struck a glancing blow by a car it was in the process of being attacked by small black ants when I found it. If it's any help it was about the size of a Meadow Brown.

James.

Hi Jos, there were several paler Clouded Yellows amongst the hordes of normal ones which I thought may be Pale Cloudeds but in truth I didn't really know how to separate them from Cloudeds of the helice form. I used to hate immature gulls but I find myself warming to them now....I have a few more photos of paler individuals which may help.

James

Attachments

• 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 162.JPG
    162.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 68
I think Croatia is too far south for Pale Clouded Yellow, it should be Berger's Clouded Yellow there I believe. Separating them from helice Clouded Yellow is however also not easy (at least for me!) ,,,the lack of dark shading suggests Berger's Clouded Yellow for me, not Clouded Yellow (but I don't swear on it). If they were amongst numerous Clouded Yellows, this might well suggest they are just helice forms of Clouded Yellows (?)

Thanks for giving it a crack anyway. I've just ordered a field guide that was produced this century so I may have a better idea of what to look for, it's got to be worth a shot anyway.

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back