• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last butterflies of the year. (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Red Admiral today.

Speckled Wood a few days back. It's been an abysmal year for butterflies generally in my neck of the woods (fields, gardens etc), but been quite mild recently, so Red Admiral still daily.

Haven't seen one for ages until today, when a Brimstone fluttered past the window. Cheered me up no end!

Red Admiral today. Not really expecting anything else personally, but will be interesting to see what else does get seen. Cheers.

Red Admiral today. Not really expecting anything else personally, but will be interesting to see what else does get seen. Cheers.

It's nice to be wrong occasionally ... ;)

Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock today (and the car temp said it was a balmy 17.5 degrees ...)

Still Red Admiral today along with Common Darter - a male landed on my hand!

Does this count?

Attachments

• MONARCH.jpg
    MONARCH.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 66
Last Saturday, on the coast about 40 km north of Lisbon, there were plenty of Large Whites, lots of Small Whites, Lang's Short Tailed Blue, Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Clouded Yellows, as well as numerous Red Admirals and Painted Ladies. A few days ago I think I got a Green-striped White from the bus, just around Lisbon, and indeed this species is frequently common in November in many southerns areas (the so called "1st generation"), and Adonis Blues and Wall Browns are also expected to be around. Down south in the Algarve there should be Small Coppers, Southern Mallow Skippers, African Grass Blues and Monarchs on the wing as well, among others...

Today in SW London (Barnes) a fresh looking Speckled Wood (and a Common Darter resting on the warm brickwork of one of the hides).
Martin

Down in the Aude

Peacock
Speckled wood
Red Admiral
Clouded Yellow
Small White

a few days back Two-tailed Pasha Charaxes jasius

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back