• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death Of The Alpha? (1 Viewer)

I'm not comparing their binoculars. I am comparing their business models and what happened to them. You still need plenty of seed money to go into and stay in a businesses like this which competes with huge corporations that make binoculars essentially as a sideline.

You had better be good at it.
Maven and Tract seem to be doing very well. All the Tract's Toric's 10x42 are sold out till March. If you can produce an equivalent product for less money than a BIG company charges it will sell.

Troub. You really should get your hands on a Maven or Tract. They feel great in the hand. Just as quality as an SF or SV. You have to get over that voice in your head that keeps telling you you need to have an alpha.;)

Yes Mr. Jones, exactly! But what is "pride of ownership" in modern society? I was born and raised in old-style farm country/family. So how well you kept your fields, the condition of your livestock, the Ford 9N in perfect condition (because you maintained it) - those things said something about your skills and your character. So pride of ownership flowed from you, something you had actually done.

Believe me, I'm not idealizing the past. There was more than plenty of BS to go around. But we seem to be getting more and more confused about the real foundation for genuine pride.

Anybody with money can afford a Noctivid. But I think I want to say that Ken Kaufman, or David Sibley or jremmons should be entitled to "pride of ownership" in a way that Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian never will. By this I mean that being able to "afford the best" is just a display of wealth and status - being able to make real use of and understand the subtle difference offered by the best - that's real "pride of ownership."

Best,
Jerry
Good point.

I dunno about that Chuck ;). I had a Swarovski 10x42 SLC-HD, the SV in 8.5 and 10x42 and the SV in 10x50. I had those all in my ownership solely to determine what binocular was the best one for me and to determine if my initial impressions of the Maven were correct. I still have the Maven B2 and none of the Swarovski glass. There is a reason, for me, for that choice. Rolling ball in the SV was the prime deterrent for me. I think the SLC-HD is the best Swarovski, but it was for me no better than the Maven. Money, at that point, was not particularly a consideration. Realizing full well that users perceptions are predominate satisfaction determiners in binocular preferences, my take is just the opposite of yours...the Swarovski is no Maven B2. Now I would say that the Swarovski is superior in some ways to the Maven and will not ever fully argue the Swarovski is not a legitimate contender for the title "Best Binocular Made". However the statement that they are no Swarovision or SF, remember that is a personal and highly objective stance.

So alpha (love or hate the term) ultimately comes down to the holistic balance of cost, optical performance, and ergonomics, which boils down to a purely subjective user choice.
B :)
That is one reason I preferred the Maven B.2 9x45 over the SV 10x50. No RB and better panning and the Maven has a much better smoother focus. Overall I prefer the Maven B.2.(Never thought I would say that).

Yup, this is another of Dennis' periodic market adjustments, changing his investment strategy. He used to argue that only alpha bins held resale value, but now is arguing that they lose more value proportional to mid-level bins.

David
The Swaro's seem to hold their value fairly well but $1500.00 for a new SF. That is quite a drop from $2500.00.

They probably can make a profit doing it this way but I don't think they will put any of the big 4 out of the binocular business with the current lines of binoculars they are selling now or in the numbers that they are selling them.

So what are the sales numbers? You talk like you know.

FWIW, I seldom see hunters with a Leica around their neck anymore, and what few I see are the Geovid. We've seen a steady decline for years now.

Everyone would buy alphas if they could just afford it, why with out a alpha, you just dont have that pride to stick your chest out. Also your binocular choice denotes your social status. :-O I seem to recall those comments at some point in the past.

This one brought me out of my self imposed exile. :-O
I am glad I brought you out of your self imposed exile. Where have you been perterra? Good to hear from you!

Dennis,
Buy and use a black 8X42 SF and you'll change your opinion once again. The FOV and walk-in-view alone will blow your mind. :t::t:

Can you REALLY see much difference between a Maven and a Swarovski? How many %? 1,2,or 3%? Is it really worth it out in the real world?

Of course I can. Why do you think I kept my Swaros and Zeiss, and passed on the Mavens* that I could easily afford? The price of a used alpha (I seldom purchase new binoculars) isn't a tremendous amount over a new Maven (I have yet to see a Maven on the used market), so the extra cost is easily worth it to me.

You couldn't see the very slight artifacts that the Canon IS has, so it does not come as a surprise to me that you cannot see a difference in performance between an alpha and a non. Actually, I could easily believe that most people could not see the difference either, since the difference is small. But the difference is there, and to state that because you can't see the difference means the "death of the alpha" is quite an illogical stretch of the imagination.

*for anyone interested -- there is a dealer in S. Texas that is a "demo-dealer" for Maven. He has Mavens in all sizes except the new 56mm versions. The dealer does not sell them. He only demos them on behalf of the Maven company. For anyone who finds themselves in S. Tx and is wanting to know the dealer, just PM me......

Of course I can. Why do you think I kept my Swaros and Zeiss, and passed on the Mavens* that I could easily afford? The price of a used alpha (I seldom purchase new binoculars) isn't a tremendous amount over a new Maven (I have yet to see a Maven on the used market), so the extra cost is easily worth it to me.

You couldn't see the very slight artifacts that the Canon IS has, so it does not come as a surprise to me that you cannot see a difference in performance between an alpha and a non. Actually, I could easily believe that most people could not see the difference either, since the difference is small. But the difference is there, and to state that because you can't see the difference means the "death of the alpha" is quite an illogical stretch of the imagination.

*for anyone interested -- there is a dealer in S. Texas that is a "demo-dealer" for Maven. He has Mavens in all sizes except the new 56mm versions. The dealer does not sell them. He only demos them on behalf of the Maven company. For anyone who finds themselves in S. Tx and is wanting to know the dealer, just PM me......
I could see the artifacts on my older Canon 10x42 IS-L but honestly on my newer model I don't notice them so I think Canon improved something on the IS system. I compared the Maven B.2 9x45's for a long time to my Swarovski 10x50 SV's and I just didn't see enough difference optically to keep the Swaro's. I actually prefer the total lack of RB on the Maven's because I can pan better and I definitely prefer the smoother focus on the Maven's. Overall, I prefer the Maven's but if you see a difference I guess that is why they make alpha's. Some people are more discerning when it comes to optics but my point is for MOST people the difference in the alpha's is just not that big anymore and it is not worth the difference in price for normal birding situations.

They're catching up, or they've caught up ?
IMO they HAVE caught up in most areas related to optics and build quality. They still might not have the customer service or reputation of Swarovski or the parts inventory but if I break my binocular I would be happier with a new one instead of a repair anyway. Have we got any feedback from people that have had problems with their Maven's or Tract's yet? How is the customer service? Anybody?

Hello Chuck,

I admire your posts and always read them with respect and consideration. So please, please don't take this reply as directed to you personally. It's just that your thoughtful (and true - as far as they go) comments have made me twitch a little. So here goes!

After a certain point, to the vast,vast majority of users - it doesn't matter that the Swarovski is "better" because the extra quality doesn't make any practical difference in actual use. A Porsche 911 is inarguably a "better" quality auto than a Toyota Camry. But Monday morning at 8:30 on the New Jersey Turnpike - it doesn't matter (except for the conspicuous display of social status). You're going to get to the same place at the same time in the same comfort in either vehicle.

Undoubtedly we can imagine situations where the 911 will make a difference. The Camry will be slower through the crucial S turns at Le Mans. So we can buy, test and compare and find real differences - but they're differences without a difference to almost all real users in real situations.

So it's easy to thump Dennis on a literal level. Of course many "alphas" have something extra. The extras may even be something that a few special people will notice/need in their unique circumstances. But, if we're honest with ourselves, I suspect we've fallen into one of the special traps of modern commerce. We spend a lot of extra money buying things we don't really need in order to make ourselves or others feel like we're "alpha" people. Meanwhile, we're waiting for traffic to move just like everybody else - but down a $100k compared to the Camry driver behind us.

If this is true then "alphas" will never die. Not because they have something special that can never be replicated - but because we desperately want to show in someway that we're something special that can't be replaced. I'm not sure we can actually buy that feeling. But I am absolutely certain there will always be people offering to sell it.

Very best regards,
Jerry

Hi Jerry...
You make great points for each group IMO. I buy "alpha" binoculars(not JUST those binoculars mind you!)because...well TWO reasons...reason ONE- Prior experience! I've been using Swarovski and Zeiss riflescopes for about twenty-five years, Swarovski binoculars about 20 years, and Leica Geovid about 15 years. ALL were SOLID choices. Reason two: I see no reason to NOT get the best available as long as I can afford it. Look...a small gain in performance regardless of product more times than not requires a pretty steep increase in price. So basically that at 2X the price I get a warranty that is pretty much written in stone, more FOV, flattest transmission curve in the business, high light transmission, made for binocular case, center diopter adjustment, and the flattest field in the business. Some of those features can be equaled by NO ONE! Does one NEED them? No, certainly not. But I LOVE 'em!

I dunno about that Chuck ;). I had a Swarovski 10x42 SLC-HD, the SV in 8.5 and 10x42 and the SV in 10x50. I had those all in my ownership solely to determine what binocular was the best one for me and to determine if my initial impressions of the Maven were correct. I still have the Maven B2 and none of the Swarovski glass. There is a reason, for me, for that choice. Rolling ball in the SV was the prime deterrent for me. I think the SLC-HD is the best Swarovski, but it was for me no better than the Maven. Money, at that point, was not particularly a consideration. Realizing full well that users perceptions are predominate satisfaction determiners in binocular preferences, my take is just the opposite of yours...the Swarovski is no Maven B2. Now I would say that the Swarovski is superior in some ways to the Maven and will not ever fully argue the Swarovski is not a legitimate contender for the title "Best Binocular Made". However the statement that they are no Swarovision or SF, remember that is a personal and highly objective stance.

So alpha (love or hate the term) ultimately comes down to the holistic balance of cost, optical performance, and ergonomics, which boils down to a purely subjective user choice.
B :)

The rolling ball phenomena is the strangest thing to me. I've never seen it and can't IMAGE it! But sure enough there are several others besides yourself that DO see it.

Maven....I'll admit I think they are probably at the head of the "non-alpha" class. I love the EDG-like smooth/precise focus. I have a B1 and a B2....I probably like the 8X42 B1 a little more. I don't feel the reduction in size/weight cost me much if anything optically. I like and enjoy them BOTH a LOT! And I don't have ANY problem with them being your favorite binocular! But I like binoculars. I probably have about 10 non-alpha binoculars that are really great binoculars. No doubt I could have my best birding day EVER using any of them. BUT...I were to set out to DO that...and could only have one binocular(i'd rather have TWO)....well, you know that answer! ;)

Folks....I'm no binocular snob. I think most of your realize that. I have seven brands of binoculars here. Thursday I'll be birding with the new Conquest HD 10X42 and a Opticron spotting scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back