• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field asthetics - the next big thing in optics? (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

I've been wondering about posting this for a while, so here goes.

I'm unsure if there are any rock musicians out there on birdforum, but if there are, chances are you will have heard the term "relic" used on guitars.

To the layman, this term basically denotes a new instrument that has been abused (see the beautiful blackguard '52 telecaster below) at the point of manufacture in order to give the appearance of a heavily used bit of kit, and perhaps suggestive that the user is in someway experienced and knows a thing or two (I'm not talking about "smoke on the water" or "stairway to heaven"). I should also add, these instruments are sold at a premium - but obviously a fraction of the price of an original - for example a 1950's Strat would set you back well over £15,000.

Admittedly guitars (and musicians) have a somewhat cooler credibility than birders and optics, and for that reason, there is more likely the "need" to give an aura of experience, perhaps to feed the ego of the player (all hypothetical here).

I was wondering if any of the large optical companies will at some point think they're missing out on sales, and produce units that are functionally and optically perfect, but appear heavily used to suggest years of hard use in the field?

I found a couple of abused examples online and posted them to show what these "relic" optics would look like!

I know a few people who have battered optics, but that is as a result of extensive field use (particularly in the tropics) but I wonder if there would be a market for this?

Attachments

• leica_ultravid_bloody500350.jpg
    leica_ultravid_bloody500350.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_4400.JPG
    IMG_4400.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 183
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 143
  • tele.JPG
    tele.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Like jeans with ripped knees that cost twice what intact ones do?
I don't think many birders i know would have to wait long for their gear to look like that anyway....
On the guitar front, Rory Gallagher's strat was the best i saw.

I remember seeing that Leica Ultravid shown above in the first picture. It is in the Company 7 website. It was the personal binocular an Outfitter who took it all over the world with him. It was sent in to Company 7 for its regular checkup and cleaning after which it was sent back to him, I presume.

It was a good advertisement for the toughness of Leica's binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
The pic is of my wife's treasured Leitz Trinovid 8x40s, now retired but not until Gary Hawkins had given it a great service.

For info about Gary's repair services go to: http://binocular-repair.co.uk/

Lee

Attachments

• Trinovid 8x40Reduced.jpg
    Trinovid 8x40Reduced.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
My scope is dented in two places. Can I sell it for more than a new one?

I think aesthetics has little room in birdwatching, maybe aesthetics of a sleek functional style. I remember a company some years ago which tried to differentiate binoculars by blue color, and it failed.

Leica did it with the 2015: M-P Correspondent designed by Lenny Kravitz... (from the Leica website): Each of the 125 strictly limited Leica M-P ‘Correspondent’ sets is unique in its own way. The exclusive Leica M-P ‘Correspondent’ set includes two exceptional lenses: a Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH. and a Summilux-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH. An elaborate wearing process performed completely by hand carefully rubs, scuffs and scratches the black enamel finish away in several places, on both the camera and lenses, to let the bright brass surface shine through. Every further touch influences the appearance of the set and begins new, hand-written chapters in the story of their design.

Leica did it with the 2015: M-P Correspondent designed by Lenny Kravitz... (from the Leica website): Each of the 125 strictly limited Leica M-P ‘Correspondent’ sets is unique in its own way. The exclusive Leica M-P ‘Correspondent’ set includes two exceptional lenses: a Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH. and a Summilux-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH. An elaborate wearing process performed completely by hand carefully rubs, scuffs and scratches the black enamel finish away in several places, on both the camera and lenses, to let the bright brass surface shine through. Every further touch influences the appearance of the set and begins new, hand-written chapters in the story of their design.

Leica is way ahead of the curve in optical luxury goods.
They don't only offer utilitarian equipment, but rather have become expert at selling fashionable goods. In a world where designer handbags fetch $5,000 and up, designer optics seems a good niche.

In a slightly less ironic vein, I would enjoy seeing Nikon produce a retro styled 7x35 porro, with optics as sharp as a SE II, but with modern eyecups, and useful eye relief for glasses wearers. Like Olympus re-introducing the Pen-f series camera into a m4/3 digital format. Bring back a vintage porro integrated with state of the art ergonomics, glass, and coatings. I don't think you'd have to 'distress' the surfaces to sell 'em.

The EWA Russian or nearby Porroprism binoculars in 6x30, 7x35, 8x40 and 10x50 look pretty distressed.
Pity they don't work so well.

These Canon's are listed on Amazon as in "good condition":
"They only have a few cosmetic blemishes on the paint but they work 100%."

Attachments

• 51OVE58hLVL._UL500_.jpg
    51OVE58hLVL._UL500_.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 107
  • 51yiVouKFdL._UL500_.jpg
    51yiVouKFdL._UL500_.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 103
I agree that the aesthetics of kit has little (no?) value in birding, I just wonder if there may be a market for "pre-worn" kit that will be exploited by one of the companies. You can visit any of the top reserves here in the UK and find people using the latest and greatest optics. Try asking one of them which primary the emargination falls on a Blyth's reed warbler, or whether an all white tip to p10 really can separate cachinnans from argentatus and see what the response is (I'm not purporting to be any kind of ID guru btw), and I'm sure that there are plenty of knowledgeable birders who do own the top spec kit.
I'm sure there must be some that want to be perceived as knowledgeable, and what better way than having a knackered pair of bins around your neck? I think of all the companies, Leica would be one to offer this as a luxury option - some of their designer binoculars have already proven that there is a limited market in the physical appearance of kit, hell, their safari Ultravid looks pretty snazzy to me.
I suppose the other option that could be explored would be to reissue some of the older models and update the optics - just imagine the old trinny or BGAT T*P* with HD glass, waterproofing and modern eyecups. Surely a market for that?

Iv been saying for years the original Trinovids with upgraded optics and waterproofed would sell real well.....no shortcuts....an exact copy....

This will happen automatically if battered and beaten used binoculars start to fetch higher prices then new binoculars. You really did not start to see "distressed" or "road worn" guitars until the vintage market exploded and demand got higher then supply.

I seriously doubt this will ever happen simply because binoculars don't get more "Mojo" with age. :)

Currently the vintage and classic binoculars are not overvalued and I hope it stays that way. There is still a strong correlation between price and condition/performance. Even the ever elusive SARD 6x42 in good condition "only" goes for about the same price as a used Swaro/Zeiss/Leica 8x42 alpha.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back