• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Sorry! A couple more pics

1) brave Robin ;)
2) Barn Owl, Langford Lowfields - not a bad consolation for dipping Purple Heron

Hopefully off Mon to Wykeham Forest. Never been before so I would appreciate any information on the site. Also, are there any nice birds/spots around nearby?

Cheers, Sam, 14

Attachments

• Red Footed Falcon Edit 5 Small.jpg
    Red Footed Falcon Edit 5 Small.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Barn Owl Small.jpg
    Barn Owl Small.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 44
Had a simply amazing evening today! Went looking for a Quail and quickly heard it singing near to where we parked, however I then heard a second bird further to the right in the same field, and them amazingly a third on the other side of the road! The third bird could only have been 15 metres from the road but I still couldn't see it :-O Also here was a distant Barn Owl however later on whilst driving back we spotted 2 more hunting in a field by the road, so we pulled over and I went and stood at a gate to watch them. They were hunting circuits of the field so when they came along the side I was on they came within 5 foot of me! Truly awesome experience o:D

DSC_3150.JPG

Wow, sounds like a great day.
Quails are amazing, so difficult to see, but an amazing bird none the less.
Sounds like a great experience with the barn owl, I had a similar experience with one hunting about ten feet away in Norfolk, but 5 feet?!? Wow, very lucky!

1st) Shantanu (Mumbai, India) - 332 species
2nd) FoghornKinghorn (Durham, GB) - 232 species
3rd) Birding Maniac (Durham, GB) - 221 species
4th) Timmyjones (Yorkshire, GB) - 207 species
5th) Joshua-B (Australia) - 200 species
6th) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire GB) - 193 species
7th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) - 184 species
8th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) - 180 species
9th) O.Reville1989 (Norfolk, GB) - 177 species
10th) Simmojunior (London, GB) - 169 species
11th) Midlands Birder (Midlands, GB) - 162 species
12th) Halcon (Spain) - 156 species
13th) nrg800 (Australia) - 155 species
14th) ***DIJ*** (Lincolnshire, GB) - 152 species
15th) Mari E (Oxford, GB) - 145 species
16th) Ausmar (Malta) - 141 species
17th) Knotsbirder (Nottinghamshire, GB) - 140 species
18th) Birdermoose (Essex, GB) - 138 species
19th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 136 species
20th) Shrikebirder (London, GB) - 124 species
21st) Jamesevry (Somerset, GB) - 114 species
22nd) Birdpics (Essex, GB) - 107 species
23rd) Borofan (Cleveland, GB) - 102 species
24th) Nature_Lover (Durham, GB) - 88 species
25th) CreamColouredCourser (Wales, GB) - 67 species
26th) Skylark25 (Malta) - 54 species
27th) WildlifeLove (Essex, GB) - 52 species
28th) Maltese Falcon (Malta) - 44 species
29th) Andrewj123 (Bedfordshire, GB) - 35 species

I got out today with a visiting birding relative of mine, spending most of the day at the Ythan but also some time at Murcar to see if we could get our visitor to see the White-winged Scoter. At the Ythan we were mainly concentrated around the mouth of the estuary, where we aimed to show our visitor the King Eider. It certainly wasn't hard to find, conspicuous amongst the many Eiders at the water's edge opposite the old lifeboat station. As I got ready to get some photos of it (one below), the sun came out, a stroke of luck! It was preening quite a bit and stayed put on the bank, but nonetheless we all got delightful views - the third occasion I have seen it this year. We walked down to the golf hut and I scanned the gull and tern flock in the ternery - finding at least 3 immature Little Gulls . We then moved on to the Snub car parks, where interestingly a drake Pintail.

The final part of the day was spent at Murcar/Blackdog having a look for the White-winged Scoter. No luck was had here, what with the bird having not been seen all day, but this didn't bother me too much, having seen it already. However, it was nice to see a single drake Surf Scoter here, the icing on the cake to a very pleasant day's birding.

Joseph

Attachments

• Optimized-7461.JPG
    Optimized-7461.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
250th British Bird

A long wait today at Bagworth resulted in a breif, though fantastic view that most mysterious of species, the Quail. After hearing one right singing its delightful "wet my lips" righ beside the public footpath, and on arrival we were greeted to the news that "one's just flown out from beside the fence". We then waited for an hour and searched another area in a neighbouring young woodland which only my juvenile hearing could pick up. Now time was getting on, and the family was getting restless back at the car. The other group evidently decided enough was enough and headed back up towards their car. We were just readying to leave and I walked along the first few yards of the field edge to have one last look when all of a sudden on shot out of the crop not a metre in front of me (just as the group disappeared at the top of the hill, two of whom hadn't seen one)! We must have been no more than a metre away from it for the past hour but we had no idea it was there! Not a bad bird to reach 250 British species on!

Anyway, finally got round to totting up the year list adding in from Scotland and the recent local additions and found it adds me 37 species, bringing me to 177, recent highlights being Ptarmigan, Slav, BTD, WTE, Black Guillemot, Quail, Red Footed Falcon. Hopefully a trip on Monday to Wykeham and the surrounding area should add some new cracking year (and life) ticks. Theres just something special about raptors.................

PS. Just an additional note. I dont suppose anyone can recommend anywhere no more than an hour away from Wykeham as listening to what some other people have said we wont need a full day there. I was going t o spend it looking for Quail but it seems like I dont need to any more!

179: curlew sandpiper
180: Arctic Skua
181: Garden Warbler
Also continental black tailed godwit but not sure if that is classed as separate from normal ones?

Last edited:
Andrew Kinghorn

A lot of new work on Black-tailed Godwits has discovered some interesting divergence, leading one to suspect on the PSC concept that Continental (European), Icelandic and Eastern Black-tailed Godwit are all different - and merit individual recognition.

Nice to see so many keen youngsters taking part in a bit of listing - if you ever need any tips or help in finding certain birds, don't hesitate to ask

Good Birding Always

Lee Evans

194 - Arctic Tern

Stupidly forgot to add this to the yearlist yesterday. Finally got round to having a good look at the terns at the mouth of the Ythan Estuary to see if I could pick out a few Arctic Terns amongst the terns at the ternery, and sure enough there were some Arctics there, but there were generally more Commons. Later one did a spectacular flyby within just a few feet of me - see picture.

Joseph

Attachments

• Optimized-7467.JPG
    Optimized-7467.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
194 - Arctic Tern

Stupidly forgot to add this to the yearlist yesterday. Finally got round to having a good look at the terns at the mouth of the Ythan Estuary to see if I could pick out a few Arctic Terns amongst the terns at the ternery, and sure enough there were some Arctics there, but there were generally more Commons. Later one did a spectacular flyby within just a few feet of me - see picture.

Joseph

:t: The photo is stunning.

Andrew Kinghorn

A lot of new work on Black-tailed Godwits has discovered some interesting divergence, leading one to suspect on the PSC concept that Continental (European), Icelandic and Eastern Black-tailed Godwit are all different - and merit individual recognition.

Nice to see so many keen youngsters taking part in a bit of listing - if you ever need any tips or help in finding certain birds, don't hesitate to ask

Good Birding Always

Lee Evans

Would you say that the continental ones are countable on a life list Lee? Or is the work a theory and not been proven to be the case?
Cheers
Oliver

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back