• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (6 Viewers)

Yesterday the weather was okay but not too promising for anything unusual. Look at ducks and gulls they say, in such circumstances. I looked at gulls and that didn't work, so I looked a bit at ducks instead. Eiders, more specifically. Not surprisingly, I soon found a couple of drake 'borealis-types' in a small group upstream of the 'Banana Pier'. Some pictures of one of these are attached. You might want to check the EXIF data. Can't be too careful these days. The bill colour, as usual, seemed pretty much in line with the other Eiders, but the sails were good. There was another in Greyhope Bay.

There were 3 or 4 Bottlenose Dolphins well into the harbour. I don't normally take pictures of these (and I think you know why) but had a go yesterday. I think I capture the majesterial beauty of these spectacular sea creatures rather well.

Not much otherwise: a Common Scoter north and two Fulmars and a Kittiwake south off the coo. There were quite a few Common Gulls loitering around offshore. If I was Docmartin I'd probably have counted them but I'm not so I didn't.

Here are the pictures (usual quality).

Attachments

• Borealis_Eider_Girdle_Ness_170109a.jpg
    Borealis_Eider_Girdle_Ness_170109a.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Borealis_Eider_Girdle_Ness_170109b.jpg
    Borealis_Eider_Girdle_Ness_170109b.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 79
  • BNDolphin_Girdleness_170109a.jpg
    BNDolphin_Girdleness_170109a.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 67
  • BNDolphin_Girdleness_170109b.jpg
    BNDolphin_Girdleness_170109b.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 60
  • BNDolphin_Girdleness_170109d.jpg
    BNDolphin_Girdleness_170109d.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 65
Had a plod round the usual route yesterday....No saily eiders but I must admit I wasn't looking too hard! 13 Lapwings in Nigg bay was about as good as it got.

I quite like the Skates Nose and can see why that might have got its name. The Breakwater Pier makes sense because I can never decide whether to call it a pier or a breakwater. I'm interested in the origins of the Banana Pier though. It doesn't really look like a banana, unless you're particularly imaginative.

That is what many Bananas looked like before the EU threw out all the straight ones. You are too young to remember, no doubt.

That is what many Bananas looked like before the EU threw out all the straight ones. You are too young to remember, no doubt.

Ahh, it's good to be young ;). Is life winning at the moment btw?

Mark's post reminds me that I saw 13 Lapwings, funnily enough, at Doonies' Farm on Sunday. There was also a Fieldfare round there. Another was by the Coo on Saturday, which I forgot to mention earlier. Maybe that means I'm getting old after all.

Ahh, it's good to be young ;). Is life winning at the moment btw?

Mark's post reminds me that I saw 13 Lapwings, funnily enough, at Doonies' Farm on Sunday. There was also a Fieldfare round there. Another was by the Coo on Saturday, which I forgot to mention earlier. Maybe that means I'm getting old after all.

It is possible to be too old to remember things and too young to remember them all at the same time. I am too young to remember the war, for example.

Life is indeed winning. Although I did see a nice duck last Wednesday - maybe I will trot over to my thread and mention it.

It is possible to be too old to remember things and too young to remember them all at the same time. I am too young to remember the war, for example.

Life is indeed winning. Although I did see a nice duck last Wednesday - maybe I will trot over to my thread and mention it.

The weird thing is, I do remember the war, even though I'm too young to. How do you explain that!?

Ahh, it's good to be back at Girdle Ness. The sea. The wind. The birds. Except there aren't really a lot of birds still. I actually went out in a rigorous breeze on Thursday but didn't see too much aside from an apparent bouncy castle on the north shore, in non-bouncy plumage. Today was a bit nicer but still windy. The wind was pushing a few seabirds through - several Kittiwakes and Fulmars, a Gannet, 2 Common Scoters and 2 Long-tailed Ducks. There were again a couple of 'mongrel' Borealis-type Eiders, as the scientific community are calling them, on the north shore. A rather sickly Cormorant was languishing on the beach.

1. The bouncy castle. With the recent easterlies, I like to think it might be a Norwegian, or even Russian, bouncy castle. Anyone any thoughts on subspecific ID?
2&3. It's been a cruel sea the past few days.
4. So crueld in fact that the Shetland ferry apparently got damaged yesterday (this according to my ship advisor) and was heading off this morning to Norway to get repaired.
5. One of those funny Eiders, again. I know you love em.

Attachments

• Bouncy_Castle_Girdle_Ness_290109a.jpg
    Bouncy_Castle_Girdle_Ness_290109a.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Cruel_Sea_Girdle_Ness_310109a.jpg
    Cruel_Sea_Girdle_Ness_310109a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Cruel_Sea_Girdle_Ness_310109b.jpg
    Cruel_Sea_Girdle_Ness_310109b.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Shetland_Ferry_310109a.jpg
    Shetland_Ferry_310109a.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Borealis_Eider_Girdle_Ness_310109a.jpg
    Borealis_Eider_Girdle_Ness_310109a.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 75
1. Recent strong winds have resulted in some unusual pin placements on the golf course.
2. The rocks by the coo have recently developed faces. I think we need names for them. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Pin_Girdle_Ness_290109a.jpg
    Pin_Girdle_Ness_290109a.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Faces_Girdle_Ness_290109a.jpg
    Faces_Girdle_Ness_290109a.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 67
Just thought I'd take a turn round the Ness today before the weather gets any worse. Only the gulls seemed to be enjoying it. A few Turnstones and Oystercatchers were toughing it out on the rocks at Greyhope Bay, dodging flying lumps of foam. The Eiders were sheltering in the lee of the breakwater with more further up the navigation channel where there were also a few Red-breasted Mergansers. Life may have come to a standstill in some parts of the UK, but you'll be pleased to know that the supply boats to the offshore oil installations remained unaffected. Takes more than a puff of wind to stop them. And snow? What snow?

Attachments

• IMG_8846 bf.jpg
    IMG_8846 bf.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8850 bf.jpg
    IMG_8850 bf.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,910
Some evidence of hard weather movement today down the ness with Fieldfare into double figures and 4 reed buntings in various places. Lots of snow as well!

Snowiness at the Ness

As Mark says, it's all gone a bit snowy here over the past couple of days. Yesterday I planned to get out but the snow came down thick and fast during the middle of the day. It eased off by mid-afternoon and, as quick as you could say 'Farmer Giles!' in a country accent, I'd got my green wellies on and was trudging through the white stuff. Like Mark I managed four Reed Buntings, two in the allotments and two on the south side of the golf course. Quite a good bird here. There was also a Linnet in Greyhope Bay and three Goosander along the river near the Victoria Bridge. There wasn't too much else and offshore nothing was moving. A very large roost of Common Gulls was gathered in Nigg Bay at dusk.

Today was less snowy and yesterday's was beginning to melt. A brisk northerly wind kept things fresh. I didn't see any of Mark's Fieldfares yesterday but today saw ten at various spots. A good congregation of 13 Rock Pipits and 3 Skylarks were picking amongst the snow melt in Walker Park. My first Meadow Pipit of the year at the Ness was near the new pier. Offshore a Razorbill went north and there were a few Guillemots were on the sea. More impressive was a huge flock of Common Gulls feeding about half a mile out. I guess the snow has forced them from the land and they're finding what they can on the sea. A couple of Bottlenose Dolphins were around today, the first I've seen for a week or two.

Some 'winter wonderland' shots:

Attachments

• Girdle_Ness_060209a.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_060209a.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Girdle_Ness_060209b.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_060209b.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Girdle_Ness_060209c.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_060209c.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 62

Users who are viewing this thread