• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (9 Viewers)

So no sign of the Desert Wheatear today, which is a shame. It would have been good to see it in the fine weather we had. I got out for a bit in the morning, showing a couple of friends around, and then had a look round in the afternoon. There weren't too many migrants about, with only a handful of thrushes and a Chiffchaff on Abbey Road, which looked a bit abientinus-like to me. The best bird was a Snow Bunting, which flew up from near the golf club in the morning and it or another was seen flying across to Nigg Bay in the afternoon. Eight Lapwings were flying about the hill above the sewage works. Off the Coo were a Harbour Porpoise, a Common Scoter and two Red-throated Divers. Some of the usual dolphin goings-on as well.

Managed a short spin around the Ness this morning. Lots of Blackbirds were around, with smaller numbers of Song Thrushes and Redwings. Not too many other migrants except for four Blackcaps around Victoria Road Primary School. The best birds were two Twite, which showed nicely on the north bank near the steps up from the Skate's Nose. Only the third time I've seen this species here. Other birds included a Sparrowhawk, a Grey Wagtail and two Red-throated Divers. I get the feeling there's something 'big' out there though.

Here's a Twite shot.

Attachments

• Twite_Girdle_Ness_101111a.jpg
    Twite_Girdle_Ness_101111a.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 110
Managed a brisk wander round the Ness in the gloom this afternoon. Still a good scattering of Blackbirds and a few Redwings, but not too many other migrants. A Short-eared Owl flew up from the bank at the eastern end of Greyhope Bay and then made its way up to the Battery. I only had a short look from the Coo but a juvenile Pomarine Skua flew south at close range. A couple of Bottlenose Dolphins were swimming some distance up the river, roughly opposite Footdee.

Another decidedly quirksome day of birding in Torry, which produced no fewer than two patch ticks. The first of these was almost the first bird I saw. I rounded the corner into Abbey Road and realised that the bird bounding towards me was a Great-spotted Woodpecker. It disappeared off towards Victoria Road. Two Blackcaps were also along Abbey Road, where four Lapwing flew south. Lots of Blackbirds were still about but there weren't too many other thrushes: just one each of Redwing and Song Thrush. A Northern Wheatear around Skate's Nose was probably the latest I've ever seen. A Sandwich Tern nearby was equally tardy.

The second patch tick was an even bigger surprise than the first. I'd just reached the end of the allotments when I noticed a large brown shape along the edge of the golf course. It was a European White-fronted Goose and it proceeded to sit about on the grass rather nervously as I took a few pictures. It didn't seem to be injured but also didn't seem to be in much of a mood to fly. I notice that quite a few appeared on the east coast today, presumably pushed west by the winds.

A patch second was awaiting around the harbour mouth where a pair of Pochard were swimming upriver. This was one of nine species of duck I saw today, the others being a Wigeon on Greyhope Bay, four Common Scoter, one Velvet Scoter, a Teal and a Goldeneye off the Coo, a female Tufted Duck which flew south over the golf course, as well as Mallard and Eider.

A few birds were about offshore, including a loitering juvenile Pomarine Skua, which at one stage lumbered after a Herring Gull. Four Little Auks flew south, my first of the year. Four Red-throated Divers were also around, and I had brief views of Bottlenose Dolphin and Harbour Porpoise.

Here's some patch scarce for you:
1&2. White-fronted Goose
3. Pochard
4. Sandwich Tern

Attachments

• WF Goose_Girdle_Ness_121111a.jpg
    WF Goose_Girdle_Ness_121111a.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 103
  • WF Goose_Girdle_Ness_121111b.jpg
    WF Goose_Girdle_Ness_121111b.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Pochard_Girdle_Ness_121111a.jpg
    Pochard_Girdle_Ness_121111a.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 89
  • Sandwich Tern_Girdle_Ness_121111a.jpg
    Sandwich Tern_Girdle_Ness_121111a.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 89
Not much to add to what Andrew had....I had an arctic skua during a very brief sea watch, and two short eared owls...one in grey hope bay, and one south over victoria road.

I got the goose, but those pesky pochard continue to evade me....

Goosey was not at all injured. While I was watching it, it suddenly began to march towards me, and launched itself into the air. It then flew round the harbour giving some nice flight views, and flew off to greyhope bay where it plonked itself down in front of Claire who was taking photos of waves (?). It never looked happy there and shortly after, took up again and flew off south....

Rather a grey and gloomy day in Torry today. There were fewer thrushes around than yesterday, although I did see one Fieldfare. The highlight was, not surprisingly, goose-related once again. A flock of twelve grey geese came in from the north at around 10.15 and headed south over the golf course. I struggled a bit to get my scope set up in time to get on to them, so didn't have as long a look as I'd have liked. Most were White-fronted Geese but at least two were Bean Geese. These looked like Taiga, being quite long-necked, but it's probably impossible to be sure from the views I had. I wonder where they ended up.

There wasn't really too much else about. The Wheatear was again on the north bank and a Dunlin was in Greyhope Bay. Offshore nothing much was moving. Two Common Scoters were close in and there was a good scattering of Red-throated Divers and Guillemots. A female Blackcap was at the mound. A few dolphins were cavorting in the usual fashion. The weather closed in further, so I headed for home.

Another afternoon stroll that turned interesting today. A few things were knocking about: a Blackcap on Abbey Road, 12 Goldeneye flying through, a Short-eared Owl being chased off north by the gulls and a female Black Redstart hopping about near Skate's Nose (a different bird to the one a couple of weeks ago). Then I headed up to the Battery.

Now, it has to be said that the Battery has been a bit duff lately. I've hardly seen any migrants of any note there for a couple of years and am frequently tempted not to bother even checking it. Anyway, I'd not long started wandering through the gorse and brambles on the north side when I hard a hard chacking call. Then a small brown warbler flitted across. With the Balmedie bird fresh in my mind I was already thinking this was everyone's favourite elusive phyllosc. Happily it popped up a couple of times - just for a few seconds - to give some clearer views and, sure enough, it was pretty clearly a Dusky Warbler. Then it shot off. I wandered around trying to relocate it but nothing could be heard or seen. About twenty minutes later I heard it again but just got quick flight views. And it was starting to get dark. I hung around for a while but got nothing more than tantalising views until it eventually started calling again from a small patch of burnt gorse and I was again able to get a quick view of it as it worked its way through the branches. Then it disappeared.

So that was good, if characteristically elusive. They're good birds but also quite frustrating. Just as I was leaving I saw a bloke get out of his car in one of the nearby car parks and shout 'Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh' very loudly. I don't know why he did it, but I sort of knew how he felt after chasing this bird around. Anyway, hope it's still there in the morning.

Hi Andrew, I was making very similar noises to the bloke in the car today....maybe he was dealing with Egyptian potato inspectors too !!!!
well done on the warbler, nice bird !!
I was lucky enough to see 2 of them down here a couple of weeks ago......with very good views !

Thanks for the comments folks. Another Birds fae Torry regular claimed that I was 'on fire' at the moment. Smokin'.

I also omitted to mention the most important news of the day, which is a significant update to the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Totaliser on fire.

Bono Estente.

So I had a quick look down at the Battery first thing this morning but the Dusky Warbler seemed to have done a bunk. Bit of a shame really. A Woodcock was flushed and there was the usual scatter of Blackbirds and Redwings. Of more interest once again was the goose action. A Bean Goose flew in quite low overhead from the direction of the lighthouse and then headed off over the harbour before eventually coming down on the sea. Then, as I was heading home, I put up a flock of four that were on the grass next to the golf club car park. I could scarcely have been more surprised if Chris Waddle himself had been rumaging around there. They headed off south. All the birds looked a little on the short-necked side, so perhaps most likely Tundras.

Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

One or two bits and bobs around this morning...about 25 Long tailed tits were in Nigg bay (not actually in nigg bay...you know what I mean...) as were a couple of woodcock and a male blackcap. Actually in Nigg bay was a great crested bay, and actually in Greyhope bay was a grey plover.

One or two bits and bobs around this morning...about 25 Long tailed tits were in Nigg bay (not actually in nigg bay...you know what I mean...) as were a couple of woodcock and a male blackcap. Actually in Nigg bay was a great crested bay, and actually in Greyhope bay was a grey plover.

A Great Crested Bay? You doing a horse list now then?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back