• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for Irish Barn Owl Sightings (1 Viewer)

Jamspangle

Up the boro!
I work for Birdwatch Ireland in the Midlands Office, and we've a man here who is working on our Barn Owl project, as well as studying them for a phd. BirdWatch have started the project as Barn Owl numbers have dropped by approx. 50% in the last 20 years in Ireland, yet little is known of their ecology - most papers published are with reference to British Barn owls.

If anyone has recent records of Barn Owl sightings, or better still knows of active roosts/nests you could help increase our knowledge of Irish Barn Owls and be involved in the development of a conservation strategy for them. We would be very grateful if you could PM them to me, or contact John directly on [email protected]. Many thanks.

jamie

just bumping this to prevent falling off the page. The appeal still stands - any sightings would be gratefully received, especially in Northern Ireland where the researcher involved in the project is fairly desperate for them - he's only got two sites to work with at the moment. if you don't have a sightings yourself but know people based in Ireland on Birdforum - if you could pass on a link to this thread you'd be helping out too.

many thanks

jamie

Jamspangle said:
I work for Birdwatch Ireland in the Midlands Office, and we've a man here who is working on our Barn Owl project, as well as studying them for a phd. BirdWatch have started the project as Barn Owl numbers have dropped by approx. 50% in the last 20 years in Ireland, yet little is known of their ecology - most papers published are with reference to British Barn owls.

If anyone has recent records of Barn Owl sightings, or better still knows of active roosts/nests you could help increase our knowledge of Irish Barn Owls and be involved in the development of a conservation strategy for them. We would be very grateful if you could PM them to me, or contact John directly on [email protected]. Many thanks.

jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back